Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MattFright

Eternally Doomed (Eternity UDMF community project!)

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen screenshots of it i posted elsewhere, here's the map i've recently started for the first episode:

etrn32.png

Edited by MattFright

An Eternity CP??? Looks pretty ambitious - and a 40 map goal is a big deal too. I'll stay back and observe the development of this.

Been hanging around the Discord server. This is a serious project, and I hope it goes well!

Edit: I'm likely to do some MIDIs for the project, especially if a mapper asks!

Edited by northivanastan

I'll try making a map or two. Time to faff with portals for the first time since Unreal.

I'll try making a few midis for it as well. See what levels need midis.

Updated resources file! (V1.3.1)
(check OP for download link, i updated it again)

-Added a few ports from 32in24-15tex (mainly mayan themed ones, some wood textures and forcefields + several more colored variants aside from the usual green and red, including pink!!)

-Fixed screwed up stock textures (you can thank the Eternity wiki for lying to me)
-Fixed shotgunner sprites
-Added/made a few texture requests

Sorry for not noticing the broken stock textures early, everyone!!

Edited by MattFright

Awesome idea for a CP! I'd like to try my hand at making a map for episode 1 (the nighttime part of it).

Is there an estimated timeline/deadline for map submissions?

2 hours ago, Fiendish said:

Is there an estimated timeline/deadline for map submissions?

Q4 2021 if I'm optimistic, Q1 2022 if im pessimistic about submissions, we'll see

2 hours ago, SLOTH MARINE (CB) said:

looks pretty cool!

is it ok if I make the boss map (MAP30) or no?

A (non icon of sin) boss is certainly still up in the air for now, but if you have any ideas for one I'm all ears! (main issue would probably be sprites) and yeah you can make a map30, thats thankfully probably the least likely to get switched around due to no specific map claiming anyways.

10 hours ago, MattFright said:

A (non icon of sin) boss is certainly still up in the air for now, but if you have any ideas for one I'm all ears! (main issue would probably be sprites) and yeah you can make a map30, thats thankfully probably the least likely to get switched around due to no specific map claiming anyways.

I can think of something, and when I do I'll tell you. :) 

Always like it when Eternity get a bit more love! Though I have to say that 40 maps it a bit much, and I don't know how you're gonna manage it. Best of luck either way.

9 hours ago, JXC said:

Will there be bosses?

Probably only the icon of sin or some replacement of it in E3M10.

9 hours ago, Breezeep said:

Always like it when Eternity get a bit more love! Though I have to say that 40 maps it a bit much, and I don't know how you're gonna manage it. Best of luck either way.

Thanks! I am a bit optimistic about submissions, though if it goes on for too long and it's still nowhere near 40 maps i don't think it should be too difficult to shorten some episodes a little bit :)

Okay, here's a pretty significant update to the resources. Changelog includes the most significant changes in the minor versions that weren't worthy an announcement:

-As per Nokturnus' request/suggestion, i added some colormaps for under(liquid) stuff and for fog! I didn't include more than two fog variants though because i couldn't get more to look anywhere near decent. Here are some examples of the fogmaps:

Spoiler

etrn55.png

etrn56.png

If you do end up using these do let me know so i can make a recolor of the sky (if needed) to help the fog fit in a bit better. I only haven't done this already because i don't have any maps made solely for it to know whether it serves its purpose well or not.

Also if you end up using them, remember to add "unevenlight = false" through MAPINFO for your map so that you can avoid the bad quirks of these (such as seen with some straight lines in that first screenshot).

-Some new textures

-Turned most flats into textures and removed some flats that didn't quite fit in (sorry if this breaks some maps! there should still be good looking replacements for all of the ones i removed though)

-Lots of new decorations to give more depth to Episode 3, 2 and a little bit of 4, seeing that there are so many for Episode 1.

-Fixed every single thing about the config (except for the console errors, please don't mind those, they mean nothing), decorations should be a lot easier to use now

-Made most decorations much thinner (for some reason they used to be fuckoff wide??)

-Buffed the fire rate of the incendiary launcher slightly, should now be as destructive as the BFG still without being overpowered.

-Added waterfall midtextures for the darker water variants so they can be used in the night portion of E1 a bit better.

-Turned the armor bonus into a proper marine helmet.

-Definitely more i forgot about...

Download: check post below

This SHOULD be the last one that isn't all about adding people's "hey can i have that texture but edited to be kinda like this?", so also probably the latest one in a while i'll absolutely recommend re-downloading for the sake of your own convenience! And yes i'm really putting off making the status bar for now... but i promise there'll be a custom one eventually!!

Edited by MattFright : apparently "unevenlight" exists for EMAPINFO

Just updated the resources file again! (V1.5, check the link in the OP)

-Buffed spider mastermind a little bit (fires faster)

-More Episode 4 textures

-More Episode 3 textures

-Fixed issue with soulsphere and soul tree in both config and sprite names (update your config!)

-Added sounds (ambience, door sequences, effects)

-Made the animated fire textures actually usable looking

-I'm always forgetting more

Also i would normally be done with this map already, but i've got the coolest ideas for setpieces, usage of ACS/portals/other things and more that hopefully will make it worth the wait!!

etrn138.png

etrn137.png

ANOTHER THING!!! - You might've noticed that the project has been going slowly here, and that seems to be because most people are pretty busy at this time of the year, and while the project has been picking up speed again (check the "claimed" map slots) i should clarify that i don't really have a strict deadline in mind for the project, though i want to get it done by the next year (how soon though depends on when all 40 slots will be filled).

And another small thing: @NeilJohnRips has been making some midis for anyone to use on their maps already and they slap hard, here's one that nobody's claimed yet: Skyward Soul

Edited by MattFright

Not necessarily news about the project but relevant nonetheless:

image.png.f1d4fea6067eb88e6418acbccab89fd3.png

Now you can use the proper ExMy name convention for your maps without it breaking UDB's testing launch. Reminder that if you can spot any GZDoom-isms or bugs in UDB, you shouldd report it to UDB's Github! The earlier those get reported, the earlier they get addressed

So you only want MIDIs for the music? No tracker modules (which can be pretty small, I've seen ones under 100 kB) or custom SPCs (which are always 64 kiB) or anything like that?

Yes, Eternity Engine does support SPCs. Sadly, the Eternity Wiki doesn't have a page that lists all of the supported music formats.

16 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

So you only want MIDIs for the music? No tracker modules (which can be pretty small, I've seen ones under 100 kB) or custom SPCs (which are always 64 kiB) or anything like that?

Yes, Eternity Engine does support SPCs. Sadly, the Eternity Wiki doesn't have a page that lists all of the supported music formats.

Just midis, yes. I wanted to have this project feel more "traditional", just showing some of the things the engine can do (portals, poly objects, among other features) without going too crazy since that'd make this project even more niche than it already is. Also the midi soundtrack idea kind of came from @Bloo

25 minutes ago, MattFright said:

Just midis, yes. I wanted to have this project feel more "traditional", just showing some of the things the engine can do (portals, poly objects, among other features) without going too crazy since that'd make this project even more niche than it already is.

Alright then.

Guess I'll have to use my secret weapon.

Spoiler

image.png.9bebfa159a7e8020f50a358397288b6b.png

Just wanna say I'm really grateful this is for Eternity for once, instead of Gzdoom. It's looking terrific and I'm really excited about this. Pretty much guaranteed to be featured in my custom cover collection thread for treasured wads. If you care you may send me some graphic to include in it.

5 hours ago, game said:

Just wanna say I'm really grateful this is for Eternity for once, instead of Gzdoom. It's looking terrific and I'm really excited about this. Pretty much guaranteed to be featured in my custom cover collection thread for treasured wads. If you care you may send me some graphic to include in it.

Yes, hopefully this will inspire more people to make UDMF maps for other source ports like K8Vavoom and Edge.