Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
⇛Marnetmar⇛

Hey, remember Metroid Dread?

Heh, Nice. I see you, thread title.

anthony.gif.1c8d435dc7d57bbb5e7c3534a59a55c5.gif

I dig it so far. Samus' new suit has already grown on me; not a big fan of the color scheme, but I like that it still has fleshy tendons like the Fusion suit, I love that kind of bio-organic stuff. Plus the way she's animated helps sell it a lot. I mean look at her smug fuckin' stride when she kills that boss monster. Absolute lass.

I'm glad they're changing the melee counter to be useable while running. Graphics look a bit ass when the camera zooms in for scripted events, but hopefully they'll get cleaned up closer to release. Hope it's less linear than Samus Returns was, too. Also holy shit, living Chozo!

On 6/15/2021 at 5:59 PM, june gloom said:

unlike the immensely lazy Samus Returns with its 15-year-old Metroid Prime assets

What did it re-use from the Prime games? I recognized some music cues and sound effects, but that's it.

that they only cranked out to calm the PR snafu Nintendo found themselves in after they C&D'd AM2R.

Except Samus Returns started development a year before AM2R was released and C&D'd, and it was MercurySteam's idea to do a Metroid remake to begin with (they originally pitched a remake of Fusion, but Sakamoto wanted to do Metroid 2). If anything, it was probably the negative response to Federation Force's announcement trailer that got them the greenlight to start Samus Returns.

7 hours ago, Rudolph said:

While I am pissed at Nintendo for issuing a cease & disease against AM2R, I am not sure I get your issue with Zero Mission.

In many ways, I like it better than Super Metroid, primarily because it feels better paced - in part thanks to the exclusion of Maridia.

It felt excessively hand-holdy even compared to Fusion, and the stealth sequence at the end sucks. I do enjoy the game but it's nowhere near on the level of 2, Super or Fusion. To say nothing of AM2R (okay, I'm biased, AM2R is far and away my favorite Metroid and it's not even official. If I have to ignore AM2R then Super gets the top spot.)

8 hours ago, june gloom said:

It felt excessively hand-holdy even compared to Fusion, and the stealth sequence at the end sucks. I do enjoy the game but it's nowhere near on the level of 2, Super or Fusion. To say nothing of AM2R (okay, I'm biased, AM2R is far and away my favorite Metroid and it's not even official. If I have to ignore AM2R then Super gets the top spot.)

there are a lot of ways you can sequence break the game sure the game holds your hand if you follow the chozo statues but there are intentional spots that let you break free from the chozos and break the game the same way nes metroid did and the stealth sequence while not my cup of tea its very short and theres always a save room nearby

8 hours ago, june gloom said:

the stealth sequence at the end sucks.

I wasn't a big fan of that section initially either, but after playing through the game a few times, I sort of began warming up to it. It's a fun change of pace IMO. Completely understandable why people wouldn't like it, though.

9 hours ago, june gloom said:

I will have to replay Zero Mission then, because I do not remember the game being "hand-holdy".

Then again, I remember raging against Super Metroid over all the times I got lost and could not figure out where to go, not to mention how much I hate Maridia (which is not only super frustrating to navigate but also a real pace-killer that seems to be only there to delay the game's climax), so I guess I do not mind being told where to go in a Metroid game. 

I am so stoked for this, the Metroid II remake seems neat and I have yet to play it but looks like I'll have to in order to whip myself into shape for Dread. Might be time for a Super Metroid and Fusion replay too.

Speaking of Super Metroid, have any of you played Super Metroid: Ascent? I've heard it was considered to be one of the greatest hacks of SM of all time, surpassing even Metroid: Super Not Zero Mission. I couldn't agree more.

7 hours ago, Naked Snake said:

I am so stoked for this, the Metroid II remake seems neat and I have yet to play it but looks like I'll have to in order to whip myself into shape for Dread. Might be time for a Super Metroid and Fusion replay too.

All this Metroid talk made me want to go back to AM2R and finish it. I made it to the Industrial Complex, although trying to get all the bonus items is considerably slowing me down; it is a good thing I do not care for those ending slides!

Anyway, reading the announced premise of Metroid: Dread, I get the feeling that the Parasite X is now becoming the series' main antagonist, as it looks like Samus' job is going to exterminate the species like she did with the Metroids. But since the Metroids are now technically extinct, I have to wonder if it is even fair for the series to still being named after them. :P

Edited by Rudolph

I'm very happy that my second favorite video game franchise is finally getting a new title. Us Metroid fans always accepted that Fusion was the end of the story and she retired afterward. Now this happens and I'm totally open to it. I wanna see where this goes. Nice to have a new Metroid game that isn't a prequel in the story for a change.

8 hours ago, HavoX said:

Speaking of Super Metroid, have any of you played Super Metroid: Ascent?

I might try that one. Ever heard of the "Super Metroid Redesign" hack?