Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ScrappyMcDoogerton

Good Mechanical Keyboards?

Hey guys I have decided it's time to upgrade my keyboard but I don't know anything about how to choose a good one. I don't want RGB or 100 macro keys or anything like that just one that feels good to use any suggestions?

As much as some people like to rag on Reddit, r/MechanicalKeyboards was monumentally helpful when I was getting into mech keebs myself. Trust me, it's a great resource that will be really helpful regarding which brands make the best hardware, websites to find the best prices for keyboards, keycaps, switches, etc and much more.

I know you said you just want a plain old mech keyboard but I don't have experience with that so any reccomendations would be unfounded.

I can definitely put in a good word for the Logitech G915 however. A wireless keyboard which connects via a USB dongle (or bluetooth, which is cool since you can switch between modes to type on PC or on mobile device such as a tablet). The battery life honestly exceeded my expectations - it lasts a week+ without charging and can be used while on charge.

With the brown switches it has a very pleasant typing feel, not too clicky but the typing sounds are satisfying. It does have all the bells and whistles which you said you're not too bothered about though, such as per-key RGB lighting, extra programmable keys etc.

https://www.logitechg.com/en-gb/products/gaming-keyboards/g915-low-profile-wireless-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

3 hours ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

Hey guys I have decided it's time to upgrade my keyboard but I don't know anything about how to choose a good one. I don't want RGB or 100 macro keys or anything like that just one that feels good to use any suggestions?

Make yourself familiar with the different mechanical key concepts first. Here's a great video, just 5 min. of length, that explains the differences very well.

Then, if you are able to, visit a local hardware store to try different mechanical keyboards yourself to get an idea of what you prefer, or order several ones to try them out at home. A good keyboard, that you are satisfied with, will last with you for many, many years to come, without the need for replacement.

For example, I thought that the tactile switches would be great for me, but upon trying them out I knew I don't like them at all.

Edited by deus-ex

Majority of them are good. It's all about switches and what you like

I have the Logitech g512 carbon and absolutely love it. It's got brown switches that have a real nice feel to type on and are pretty quiet but satisfying. It's also under $100 a lot of the time. It does have rgb lighting but it's nice and subtle and totally customizable :)

You may want to peruse this thread as well: 

Plenty of decent suggestions in there. I'm using an onn mechanical keyboard that I got from Walmart for $45, 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Gaming-Mechanical-Keyboard/660379246

It's the first mechanical keyboard I've had. It's a blue switch, aluminum frame, with the 10 key (I gotta have my 10 key) and it works well, and it comes with a magnetic wrist rest bar. Which I usually don't use, but it's comfortable enough. I don't know a whole lot about mechanical keyboards, but it feels a lot better than the Dell membrane keyboards I've been using most of my life. It is RGB, but thanks to @TheMagicMushroomManI found out how to use the software that came with it to select all the keys at once and turn off the lights completely. It still flashes through RGB when I restart or turn on the computer, but I usually just restart it once or twice a week to install updates, so it's not a big deal.

You can create multiple gaming profiles and macros with it, but you don't have to. Works like a perfectly standard keyboard out of the box. You can also customize the lighting for each key, and make it strobe or fade across, or do really anything you want with the lighting. So I just turned it off. All I need is a light telling me if capslock, NumLock, or scrollock is on or off.

I like it, it's a bit clicky, but after a few months you get used to the clicks. I do like the feedback I get from mechanical keyboards, and more than likely it'll survive longer than I do. Blue switches have a life span of 50 million clicks, which comes out to 90+ years with standard use, so it'll hopefully be the last keyboard I ever have to buy. The brown switch boards look nice, and I kind of wish I would've gone with one, similar lifespan and actuation pressure, but less clicky. Oh well, I still like mine.

But do your research, I just needed a new keyboard, and Walmart was the only place that was open when I went shopping for one, but I needed it that night. It works well, and the price was right. 
Edited by Jello