Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ar_e_en

Describe your general music tastes and then post your music "guilty/unusual pleasure"

I usually enjoy Grunge and Rock, Nirvana and Alice in Chains, fe. I have a weakness for corny Synthpop though and am quite ashamed of it.

I listen to vaporwave, jazz, post-hardcore, dream pop and whatever the hell Ulver is doing. I used to love metal but I hate it now. I have a soft spot for 90s alt rock and I'm convinced Linkin Park is underrated genius.

I don't go much for variety, I pretty much listen to a mix of extreme and progressive metal, and that's it. No pleasures I'd call guilty. @whybmonotacrab mentioned some of the bands I listen to.

I guess the thing is, I can appreciate music outside of that, but I don't ever love it, and I only bother having what I love in my music folder/player.

I could post one or two of the dumbest named songs I like. 

It's just rap and enough and that's how i wrap it up, this was hard for me and I smashed this tough, but anyways here's my song tryna back the stuff.

My tastes? Hmm... rock. Metal except black and death. Country. Smooth jazz. Celtic. Classical. Blues. Soul. That's everything. I think.

Guilty pleasure implies i should be embarrassed for liking something that makes me happy. So i will pass on that one because i find that notion quite silly.

1 hour ago, cannonball said:

My favourite band is probably Queen just because they are probably the only one I can think of where I genuinely say that I liked their early and old stuff and everything in between.

Good man. I like many songs for many reasons but best song ever? No hesitation. "We are the Champions". Not only compositionally superb (that switch from C minor to Eb major as the lyrics get more positive... perfect) but its capacity to unite people is second to none. Being in a crowd as they sing along is an honour i have had seven times and it is a feeling beyond compare. It's the kind of song that makes you pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get ready to go another round. "The Show Must Go On" is a very close second for similar reasons. Freddie was in so much pain he could barely stand when he recorded that. And he apparently did it in ONE TAKE. A healthy person delivering that vocal, let alone in one take, is a sign of immense talent. But in that state? Forget it. Freddie was and still is the king.

7 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

Guilty Pleasures in music.

The Corrs are amazingly talented. They started my love of Celtic music. Their first couple of albums were their strongest but the rest are still pretty good. Their updates of classics like "Erin Shore" and "Toss the Feathers" are great. Love Celtic rock.

I grew up listening to Dad music (70s/80s Rock n' Roll) and later went through a Heavy Metal phase during high school (my favourite band was Slipknot) but these days my absolute favourite genres are Dark Ambient and Synthwave. As for guilty pleasures? They don't exist. Much like my favourite horseman, I too never feel guilty for the stuff I enjoy. ;^)

My music collection is so varied that I don't have anything that I would consider unusual. The average person on the street might find some of it strange, like the J-pop or video game soundtracks.

I think my username shows what I really like as far as music tastes go, but I like more or less all rock and most metal genres (at least those with good vocals in case). Not to forget video game soundtracks.

I wonder if I'm the only one here who has a guilty pleasure in reggae.

4 hours ago, Murdoch said:

The Corrs are amazingly talented. They started my love of Celtic music. Their first couple of albums were their strongest but the rest are still pretty good. Their updates of classics like "Erin Shore" and "Toss the Feathers" are great. Love Celtic rock.

I totally agree. I had a Corrs-fest a few weeks back where I played a bunch of their albums. Love Celtic rock and Folk and all that stuff. Good stuff.

12 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

And @Ar_e_en I have that Pink album on CD.

Nice!

7 hours ago, TenenteZashu said:

I like to mash anime intros and doom 4's soundtrack together using RaveDj

Sweet creamy fucking Jesus...

My "guilty pleasure" I guess would be Vaporwave. I don't think it's bad at all, in fact I enjoy some of it quite a lot, but since most of it is so directly based on existing music tracks, I can't see it the same way as the other music genres I enjoy.

Other stuff I like to listen to: Rock, Metal, Synthpop/New Wave, videogame stuff, etc.

17 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

Basically - give a description of what kind of genres of music or what kind of bands/musicians you like, then follow it up with a band/musician/song that is a "guilty/unusual pleasure" for you, like something that contradicts your main tastes or something that everyone would not expect for you to enjoy.

I like rock music that is more on the "prog-ish" side and some metal as well. My favorite band is King Crimson.

My "guilty/unusual pleasure" is the pop-singer P!nk. I don't like every single song she has, but I am surprised that there are quite a few songs that I really like. "Funhouse" and "So What" are quite great, but recently I've been listening to this on repeat:

pls help me, I've listened to this like 30 times now

Another "guilty/unusual pleasure" artist that I like is the indie-musician Jack Stauber. A lot of weird stuff from the guy - from short animations to full albums. I have to thank the creator of the Deltarune and Isabelle companion mods (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqGyG5qmzdZj5gA0q1uWAFw) for introducing me to his music.

Here's a little example:

I don't even really know how to explain my musical 'tastes'. From harsh, dark and depressing electronic music to harsh, dark and depressing metal. Video game music has been a part of my entire life. Then there is my playlist of over 2.5k midi files.

Guilty pleasures look something like this: 

Basically various metals, but also various kinds of rock, trance/retrowave, chiptunes, Japanese music, pop music from 80s.

Guilty pleasures: early Tokio Hotel, Kruger (Russian thrash metal band), early Madonna, collabs of Tatyana Bulanova and DJ Tsvetkoff.

I like nearly all types of Metal, Punk, and the -core genre's, except for stuff like Pop-Punk, Post-Punk, Post-Metal, and Industrial.

My guilty pleasure band would probably be AC/DC, cause they're regarded alot as an overly simple "basic" band, but I personally really like them.

I like extreme metal, jazz, reggae, techno, goth and postpunk, ambient, techno, prog, 80s pop and some folk music. I don't believe in guilty pleasures, and I definitely do NOT own a copy of No Jacket Required. 

On 6/18/2021 at 3:32 AM, Tony_Pepporoni said:

It's just rap and enough and that's how i wrap it up

I feel like we're the only rap fans here lol, I like all the other stuff people mentioned but honestly sometimes id rather just listen to chief keef or blueface 

Also blueface is fire idc if he raps offbeat 

12 minutes ago, CherryMvffins said:

I feel like we're the only rap fans here lol, I like all the other stuff people mentioned but honestly sometimes id rather just listen to chief keef or blueface 

Also blueface is fire idc if he raps offbeat 

Oh interesting, yeah pretty much all i see is Kendrick and Earl and Tyler and Death Grips in people's favotites, maybe a sprinkle of Wu-Tang, also yeah I can pretty much undertand that, i've definitely listened to Mulah Express, Bang 1, and Back From The Dead 1 more times than i have listened to any Tupac album, but I can't relate with Blue Face because I only really listen to music from 2015 and before, pretty much sorry for the inconveinience.

I do like hip hop and for a while could actually give beginner-level lectures about the history of the form to my boomer family members, but in recent years I've moved away from most forms of music that aren't the stuff I listed.

I'll still put on Kid Cudi anytime tho.

On 6/18/2021 at 2:51 AM, Mr. Freeze said:

I listen to anything with a guitar. Rock, Punk, Metal, Blues, Funk...I love it all but Punk is my fav genre. Guilty pleasure is Country (living out in Phoenix exposes you to a TON of Country and Western music.)

I grew up with country music being played on the radio or when family events happened there was a lot of musical jams, a lot of which was country music. My dad played in a country and western band and my bro played in a country and rock band. Hard not to be influenced by that, for sure.

Here's a couple that I tend to play when I get the urge to listen to a few country songs.

I'd say my general music tastes are adequately documented in this thread. To summarize:

• Rock/Rock & Roll from the period between 1967 and 1978 (what some might call "Classic Rock").
  • Motown from the late 1960s to mid-1970s. (Arguably, this genre falls squarely within Rock/Rock & Roll.)
  • Funk (which somewhat overlaps Rock & Roll and Motown)
  • Contemporary blues (even though, for me, Robert Johnson remains the king despite playing early Delta blues on a ratty hollow-body guitar).
  • Jazz: Big Band/Swing, Bebop (and, yes, the music from Cowboy Bebop), contemporary. I'm not a huge fan of avant-garde jazz, however.
  • European/American classical music.
  • Indian classical music (both Hindustani and Karnatak)

My guilty additional pleasure is listening to disco music, which I despised when it was at its apex of popularity. I also now appreciate the musicality, especially the layering, of Britney Spears' Toxic, which I detested when it was a hit. In a similar vein, I hated The Police when they were big (even though I dragged myself to one of their concerts) but I quite like them now.

Guilt? Kublai Khan knows no guilt.

41 minutes ago, ReX said:

My guilty additional pleasure is listening to disco music, which I despised when it was at its apex of popularity.

Ahh yes, the disco era. I remember liking disco and then hating it when it was at it's apex and now I like it again, like you mentioned ReX. A few years back a friend and I started digging into the disco sub-genre of Space Disco which was fueled by Meco after they released their Star Wars hit back in 77.

Yay Disco. haha.

I don't have a favorite genre or song but it is easy to say my most heard song for a few months has been this one :

Spoiler

On 6/18/2021 at 11:19 PM, Chopkinsca said:

I don't even really know how to explain my musical 'tastes'. From harsh, dark and depressing electronic music to harsh, dark and depressing metal. Video game music has been a part of my entire life. Then there is my playlist of over 2.5k midi files.

Guilty pleasures look something like this: 

The animation on that video - do you know who did it? It seems somewhat familiar to me.

2 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

The animation on that video - do you know who did it? It seems somewhat familiar to me.

I have no idea who did it.

57 minutes ago, Chopkinsca said:

I have no idea who did it.

I want to say Sally Cruikshank, but I think I might be wrong on that.