Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GratefulName

Issue with Dehacked: Thing is ignoring Attack and Melee state

As the title says, i'm making a custom dehacked marauder. I made the Attack and Melee states and they worked as intended, but then i don't know what i did and they suddenly don't work anymore, previewing it with Dehacked shows that it is indeed completely fine.

image.png.7cd837a887b7f29b325f7bfe246b12d0.png

If someone can help me, let me know.

Also if you need more details just tell me.

What do you mean by "doesn't work"? Like it doesn't attack at all? Or the animations are messed up?

Also if we could see the rest its frames in that table, that'd be more helpful.

13 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

What do you mean by "doesn't work"? Like it doesn't attack at all? Or the animations are messed up?

Also if we could see the rest its frames in that table, that'd be more helpful.

What i mean with "doesn't work" is that they don't show up, like you can stand still for 6 hours and it won't attack.

Also here is the full table.

image.png.3fd654d1e599576b0090bf5fceda37e8.png

I'm pretty sure it has to do with a combination of melee range and skullattack. The skullattack puts the monster in melee range which then attempts to melee attack again, repeating the cycle without actually attacking. 

This is at least a problem I've run into before that might be the issue here.

53 minutes ago, Btyb88 said:

I'm pretty sure it has to do with a combination of melee range and skullattack. The skullattack puts the monster in melee range which then attempts to melee attack again, repeating the cycle without actually attacking. 

This is at least a problem I've run into before that might be the issue here.

Hmmm, i just removed those actions and it still doesn't work, also when the thing spawns it doesn't react, like if you have notarget.

Hmm, this is a strange one. If no one has found the solution by tomorrow, Ill actually be at my PC and take a look. It would be extra helpful if I could get a copy of the deh (just to see what’s going on under the hood)

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

Hmm, this is a strange one. If no one has found the solution by tomorrow, Ill actually be at my PC and take a look. It would be extra helpful if I could get a copy of the deh (just to see what’s going on under the hood)

Wow, doomkid himself? damn here it is pal. Testing.zip

I might be wrong and it is not written what sourceport is used.

The monster clearly uses MBF dehacked resources, it means to work properly it requires(assuming it is PrBoom+/Glboom+) complevel 11 or default compability. 

I tried opening the .deh myself but it kept crashing on me. Might be something wrong on my end?

I have had numerous times where my stuff seemingly stops working, only to be fine if I redo everything in a new file. Could be worth a try?

1 hour ago, Kain D. said:

I might be wrong and it is not written what sourceport is used.

The monster clearly uses MBF dehacked resources, it means to work properly it requires(assuming it is PrBoom+/Glboom+) complevel 11 or default compability. 

I've been testing with GZDoom and PrBoom+ and so far they work the same.

1 hour ago, Btyb88 said:

I tried opening the .deh myself but it kept crashing on me. Might be something wrong on my end?

I have had numerous times where my stuff seemingly stops working, only to be fine if I redo everything in a new file. Could be worth a try?

Yesterday i tought about redoing it, i might consider it today.

Also i have no idea why it crashes, it might be your sourceport or something, idk.

I have an idea what may be going on here, the first frame of the "attack" sequence calls "chase" as the action - most ports seem to hate that. Chase can be called, just not as the first frame of an attack. I learned this just the other day trying to help ForgettablePyromaniac, funny enough.. Try setting that first frame to maybe be "facetarget" rather than "chase" and see if that helps at all.

29 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I have an idea what may be going on here, the first frame of the "attack" sequence calls "chase" as the action - most ports seem to hate that. Chase can be called, just not as the first frame of an attack. I learned this just the other day trying to help ForgettablePyromaniac, funny enough.. Try setting that first frame to maybe be "facetarget" rather than "chase" and see if that helps at all.

Bad news, didn't worked.

I don't know about other ports... but if you use chase on the attack state you can crash the game on chocolate doom (even when it's not the first frame). The actor will move as you expect, but a crash may occur out of nowhere.

I think that happens because "chase" put the actor on a situation where he can move or attack according to the RNG table. If he's moving, fine - the engine will do that. But if he calls the attack state and he's already on the attack state, he will create a loop that the engine doesn't understand. The game may not crash on other ports I guess, but maybe he just stop attacking altogether.

@GratefulName Try to remove all chase actions from the attack state and see what happens (you can change the starting point to 983 to skip all the frames).

Edited by Noiser

2 hours ago, Noiser said:

I don't know about other ports... but if you use chase on the attack state you can crash the game on chocolate doom (even when it's not the first frame). The actor will move as you expect, but a crash may occur out of nowhere.

I think that happens because "chase" put the actor on a situation where he can move or attack according to the RNG table. If he's moving, fine - the engine will do that. But if he calls the attack state and he's already on the attack state, he will create a loop that the engine doesn't understand. The game may not crash on other ports I guess, but maybe he just stop attacking altogether.

@GratefulName Try to remove all chase actions from the attack state and see what happens (you can change the starting point to 983 to skip all the frames).

I'm so sorry, i did exactly what you said and the thing still doesn't attack.

At this point i'll have to re-do the thing, thank you all so much for trying to help.

That sucks :-(

I tested your deh here on ZDoom (without changing anything). Weirdly enough I summoned the dog and it worked just fine. Not sure why it's not the case for you but he is throwing fireballs at me lol

Edited by Noiser

I may have got the solution! I've recently been experimenting with Dehacked and I tried to make some evil marines like in Scythe 2 replacing the wolf ss. I got the same problem and the marines would just walk toward me.

After that, in my map editor (Ultimate Doom Builder), I realised the marines wouldn't react even if i was right in front of them without firing a shot (they weren't in ambush mode). I don't know if this will work, but when you put the Dehacked lump inside the wad, close Slade, go to the editor, remove the modified monsters if you have already placed them, and place them again. After that, the custom monsters started attacking me as they should. I hope this works for you too!

EDIT: tried messing around with this, sadly, this seems to be a temporary solution. If I close the editor and boot the map again, there's still a chance my custom enemies won't attack, I'm still looking into it.

EDIT 2: I changed the level geometry to see if that had something to do with the problem, it looks like it does. I don't even know how this solves anything, but it still kinda works no matter how many times i boot the map again. I truly don't understand but I hope changing your testing map geometry works. 

Edited by daskeboyy