Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alexo

New Glitch in Doom GBA breaks the Full game Any% World Record Once again!

Recommended Posts

This is why GBA Doom is my personal favourite port besides PSX Doom.

 

Also the embedded Twitch video is giving a "Whoops! This embed is misconfigured." error.

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Wavy said:

Also the embedded Twitch video is giving a "Whoops! This embed is misconfigured." error.

Yeah, could we please have a YouTube clip or sth?

Thank you =)

Share this post


Link to post

That looks cool! BTW, isn't it reasonable to take a soulsphere on Map 24, blast yourself OOB and blast again in bounds? Or your corpse loses inertia and cannot reach the exit teleport?

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

That looks cool! BTW, isn't it reasonable to take a soulsphere on Map 24, blast yourself OOB and blast again in bounds? Or your corpse loses inertia and cannot reach the exit teleport?

It is actually possible to do this, and complete the level without keys. But getting into the exit teleporter does not exit the level. You have to be facing into the portal as if you are entering, and use a rocket to die. The death pushes you onto the linedef that you walk over on the traditional route, and ends the level.

 

Getting into the teleporter requires building momentum, and meeting the wall at the correct momentum, while inputing left or right for a few frames, before reaching the wall the teleporter is behind... its a lot more complex, and does not lead to a faster completion of the level unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

 

 

 

It doesn't show I'm going to beat the whole game, but I'm interested in it. I don't know when (if ever) a full game TAS will come. I made this video just because of Trinity Sunday which makes Monday a day off (at least, for Ukraine). Unfortunately, I don't have much time on it, so the progress will be tardy for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

 

 

 

It doesn't show I'm going to beat the whole game, but I'm interested in it. I don't know when (if ever) a full game TAS will come. I made this video just because of Trinity Sunday which makes Monday a day off (at least, for Ukraine). Unfortunately, I don't have much time on it, so the progress will be tardy for sure.

 

Thats great!

If you want the fastest options for a TAS though, play with game messages off, and static lighting 👍

Hope to see a full TAS from you someday, but it is definitely not an easy task. I attempted to learn the tools for it, and it just became to much.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alexo said:

Thats great!

If you want the fastest options for a TAS though, play with game messages off, and static lighting 👍

Hope to see a full TAS from you someday, but it is definitely not an easy task. I attempted to learn the tools for it, and it just became to much.

You mean, it somehow increases the framerate? I analyzed the lagged frames and I don't think it will increase FPS too much. You have to stare at walls to do that. However, the game will render a lot of areas while you're in OoB, so the static lightening might affect it.

I tested some corners on Map 2 and looks like you have picked the best route already. Some corners become broken with that glitch and you can just walk into them.

Edited by Dimon12321

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

You mean, it somehow increases the framerate? I analyzed the lagged frames and I don't think it will increase FPS too much. You have to stare at walls to do that. However, the game will render a lot of areas while you're in OoB, so the static lightening might affect it.

I tested some corners on Map 2 and looks like you have picked the best route already. Some corners become broken with that glitch and you can just walk into them.

 

By not having the text appear each time an item is picked up, the game doesn't require displaying the text, ergo, adding more events for the game to run back. Its actually the direct reason 8 E1M1 was possible. I played E1M1 over 4,000 attempts without a single 8. Depr4vity suggested turning messages off. The first 8 IGT was played within 10 minutes of that change. So its a very slight increase on overall speed.

 

All of the corners that you can leave the level from, are actually the same exact corners the rockets can push you out of without the zombie glitch active. So luckily, the years of optimization with the older strategies, actually helped in science for finding exact places for the new glitches use.

 

Lag reduction was a big part of sub 9 being possible prior to this discovery. It may still be useful for many places in E3, but not absolutely required as badly as it once was for 2-16. Can likely still shave a few seconds over the course of those levels with Lag reduction improvements, or looking into the void to get around outside the level at faster speeds. When I get a new PB in the next while, I will post it in this thread once again. :)

Share this post


Link to post

Another fresh PB/WR!


8:32

E1 2:52

E2 2:35

E3 3:03

 


GOOD NEWS! 7 IS CONFIRMED POSSIBLE!

 

Times required for 7 Minutes

Episode 1 in 2:40 (Current record, but time can be improved still in 10 second range. Especially E1M1 set up for zombie glitch)


Episode 2 in 2:35 (The current record has pistol start, cannot be compared directly... This is still a great segment, but can be improved slightly)
 

Episode 3 in 2:40 (Current E3 record is 2:48... but sum of best in past runs was under 2:40 range, so it is possible to improve)

Even a time like 2:30 E1, 2:30 E2, and 2:59 or less in E3 can get the time to under 8 minutes! We will be seeing this run in the next weeks/months.

Another barrier milestone is confirmed, and on its way. :o

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Wow. Great work! BTW, how Level 7 out of bounds glitch looks like that allows you to use exit switch from behind?

Static lighting really improves the performance. I got 8 secs on E1M1

Edited by Dimon12321

Share this post


Link to post

 

On 6/26/2021 at 4:38 PM, Dimon12321 said:

@Alexo, so how Level 7 out of bounds glitch looks like that allows you to use exit switch from behind?

 

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlushingAthleticChinchillaRlyTho

https://clips.twitch.tv/GiantHotTubersTriHard

You exit E1M7 from the spawning room. Walking into a correct area out of bounds, and returning into the map, gives results like above. Making it possible to finish the level this way, prior to zombie discoveries. Sorry it took some time to share, the clips were from almost a year ago, had to hunt them down.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Alexo said:

You exit E1M7 from the spawning room. Walking into a correct area out of bounds, and returning into the map, gives results like above. Making it possible to finish the level this way, prior to zombie discoveries.

Oh, that looks marvelous! Since Zombie glitch breaks the same walls you get through using a rocket launcher, maybe it's possible to perform it and save some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Theorietical TAS route:

Get OOB with zombie, use void looking to reach spot OOB to mess with level internal data (Geometry placements). Return to level exit that is wide open.

Void looking: Clearing your view of level geometry while out of bounds. Allows for uncapped framerate, lets Doom guy run very quickly.

So void looking can get you somewhere that a distance of 10 seconds travel time in level, would be under 2 seconds OOB. You could TAS the game with Void looking to get very low times in all the levels you get OOB with. I was starting to experiment with void looking to save time before Zombie was discovered. But you literally have to teach yourself how long to hold buttons for if you are using void looking strats to judge where you are OOB. Crazy hard stuff to learn, but very useful in TAS for certain.

I dunno if I mentioned, but I did finally get to making a full tutorial with all of the strategies that were considered fastest before the zombie discovery. This tutorial was made after the 8:59 was played. Includes in bounds and OOB explanations. Mentions void looking just after 39:30.
 

 

Edited by Alexo

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

shame feel people care about doom gba speedruns i find all of this really cool

 

It used to be a really difficult speedrun, and only recently became more inviting. lol
I played 14,000+ attempts, and found an even better glitch, so nobody else had to ever put themselves through that again. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Nightmare 12:02


Previous WR 14:31

GBA Nightmare = UV Settings, no respawns.
Have finally taken on Zombie Glitch runs on the highest difficulty.
Lots of Pro's and Con's compared to any%

Pro's:

-Have enemies near walls to enable clipping out of bounds when crushed zombie state is active.

Saves time in a few different spots, more discoveries left in this regard.

 

-E1M1 death exit is consistent to reset. You don't have to lure the imp into the exit room, or pray the fireball hits you.


-Final imp scratches, player watches for single digit health, time exiting the same frame as damage/death.
Averaging 21 seconds or less RTA, can go lower with more optimizations like barrels example from Dimon's TAS.

-Faster routes discovered in Level 3, 7, 12, 13.

-You actually pick up the BFG for the first time in years.

 

-16 levels in under 7 minutes is hilarious.


Con's

-Zombie save is harder to get on nightmare.

Doom GBA on the highest difficulty has more enemies.
More enemies, more lag. 
Enemies = Lag = Slow game = timing enemy scratch pattern is different.
Its very slight, but very noticeable after getting used to getting the glitch on the lower difficulty.

-I have only gotten the glitch 4-5 times on nightmare in 4 hours of attempts. Averaged 2-3 times an hour on the lower difficulty.


-Episode 3, just like any%, has to be done from a fresh spawn. I found taking E3M1 (Level 17) Slow, helped prepare for level 18.

-Level 18 is a freaking nightmare. Have to exit level with proper health for the rest of the run. This level lost 2 minutes with deaths in previous attempts.

-Level 17, 18, and 22 are run enders now.

-BFG is required for level 22.

-Conservation of plasma in E3 needs improvements.



Sub 11 Nightmare is a strong possibility. Sub 10 arguably less likely.. but I have learned to stop saying never with this game. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

So, on Nightmare in Level 7 you can just glide to the exit corridor without opening the door. Nice!
I guess performing a Zombie glitch on Level 17 will make no sense, right? Is there any way to disable this glitch just before a level where you cannot be crashed by a door?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

So, on Nightmare in Level 7 you can just glide to the exit corridor without opening the door. Nice!
I guess performing a Zombie glitch on Level 17 will make no sense, right? Is there any way to disable this glitch just before a level where you cannot be crashed by a door?


Level 7 is shorter now, yes! Nightmare is showing positive signs for better routes with more enemies added to enable OOB.

Also found a new route with level 12, also possible in any%. "Walking the tightrope" of OOB near the walls. Half inside, half outside.. Very easy to mess this up walking back into the level ruining the attempt. It allows you to get to the teleporter near the ending faster, without having to go around the area to the Plasma secret.

Unfortunately, and I mentioned it in my 1st post, Level 17(Hell Keep), 22(Limbo), and 23(E2M9 from PC) are not viable with zombie.. there is no door or lift that you can be crushed with. You can't pick up keys with zombie state. None of the Doors or lifts can be used.

In theory-

if you could get the "crushed state" to remain level to level
OR
Find another way to activate "crushed state" another way besides being crushed.

 

^^Finding a way for these theories, would allow for the glitch being used in the entire run.

This would also make pacifist possible every completion on all difficulties.

 This is the 3rd session I've had since the 23rd of June. 1st session post 8:32 Any%, 2 hours long a few days after. 2nd session was 1 hour earlier this week. 3rd session, with 12:02 NM was 2 hours long. But I'm trying not to get worn out on the game again, have been doing other runs and returning to this every few weeks. At 15,000 resets in the any% category, it brings pain trying to optimize that category specifically, even with the zombie improvements. 

Nightmare has a lot more potential to go lower, so I'm starting to play those runs at a higher capacity. I imagine a 10 minute territory completion is possible. Maybe not under 10 without better E3 NM strategies and ammo management. Preventing time loss in early E3 or ending of E3 will be the key in optimizing the run for a 10, but viable.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

TAS finally goes on again. 7 secs on Map 2. Staring towards the area with the soulsphere instead of the stairs where you get inbounds saves 1 sec of lag frames

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Map 3 done in 10 secs. Waiting for the stairs to raise is the most controversial moment of the map: gathering momentum and run as soon as the stairs is raised enough is... the slowest tactic because of the lag! Run-strafing at the last step all the time is faster. 

Got stuck at the bridge section of Map 4. The problem is I cannot jump across it, I always fall down even at the maximum distance. I made some investigation and found that sometimes you get a speed boost when you wall of a step and sometimes you don't.
I called for a help on tasvideos.org, but knowing the degree of indifference to everything, except Mario and Zelda, nobody will help me there.
@Alexo How often do you make successful jumps there?

Edited by Dimon12321

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

Map 3 done in 10 secs. Waiting for the stairs to raise is the most controversial moment of the map: gathering momentum and run as soon as the stairs is raised enough is... the slowest tactic because of the lag! Run-strafing at the last step all the time is faster. 

Got stuck at the bridge section of Map 4. The problem is I cannot jump across it, I always fall down even at the maximum distance. I made some investigation and found that sometimes you get a speed boost when you wall of a step and sometimes you don't.
I called for a help on tasvideos.org, but knowing the degree of indifference to everything, except Mario and Zelda, nobody will help me there.
@Alexo How often do you make successful jumps there?

 

Ah yes, Map 4 is difficult with zombie active. If you get crushed on that map, it is not viable. With the crush, the game assumes you are always "lowering" towards the ground. When you die, he falls into the ground. The gravity from the game assuming this, makes the player heavier as a result if you are in crushed state. If you have zombie active, without the crush state, it is possible, but just difficult to have happen. 

Jumps without zombie I would say is a 1 in 3 chance. Jumps with Zombie I would say decreases odds to a 1 in 6. With crushed zombie, its probably not possible (human wise). I haven't had a successful jump with the crushed state active yet, the player always seems to reach the edge, but clips into the edge as a result of zombie crushed state letting you into the wall/edge you are meeting when you cross the gap.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Alexo said:

Ah yes, Map 4 is difficult with zombie active. If you get crushed on that map, it is not viable. With the crush, the game assumes you are always "lowering" towards the ground. When you die, he falls into the ground. The gravity from the game assuming this, makes the player heavier as a result if you are in crushed state. If you have zombie active, without the crush state, it is possible, but just difficult to have happen. 

Hmm... Nice point!
At the beginning I crushed myself to clip through the exit door later, but I didn't think it's the reason of my constant fails. I got theoretically maximum speed of run-strafing (32.5 units per tic) and it still wasn't enough. However, I needed just +2 u/t to make it happen. Whatever, now I know what's the matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

On E1M5 I found a quicker glide which would help me beat the map in 6-7 secs. There is one moment though. This trick is so complex I have never managed to repeat it, so here is the unique showcase.

 


I can assume, the edge of my hitbox touched in-between 2 linedefs which let me get through the wall that I was going along. At the moment of touching I was walking forward. When it happened, I started run-strafing left and slided along the angeled wall until I get completely into the void.
 

I cannot repeat it even if I place myself to the corner at the yellow door and copy-paste all the input from my testing replay. 

Edited by Dimon12321 : Removed elder video.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

Here is a TAS temp video of my progress.
Map 1 - 0:08
Map 2 - 0:07
Map 3 - 0:10

Map 4 - 0:10
 

  Hide contents

 

 

On E1M5 I found a quicker glide which would help me beat the map in 6-7 secs. There is one moment though. This trick is so complex I haven't never managed to repeat it, so here is the unique showcase.

 


I can assume, the edge of my hitbox touched in-between 2 linedefs which let me get through the wall that I was going along. At the moment of touching I was walking forward. When it happened, I started run-strafing left and slided along the angeled wall until I get completely into the void.
 

I cannot repeat it even if I place myself to the corner at the yellow door and copy-paste all the input from my testing replay. 


I clapped out loud watching this, I have waited years to see a proper attempt at a TAS. I know it will take time, but your efforts are showing great progress thus far. I was made aware a few days ago you made D64 TAS in the past, so I have faith your TASing for prior games have brought this crazy one to your workstation. Great stuff so far.

That toxic pit area has another instance where I was actually able to clip under the door that opens going up to the stairs. Very similar fashion to what you have just found, getting trapped between 2 linedefs seems to be whats happening. Looking at proper angle, strafing and moving into proper direction, getting trapped on the Linedef to have this happen. I use a method similar to this in level 7 to complete in in RTA currently, walking inside the edge of a wall to reach the ending faster. Corners/intersecting linedefs on walls in this game tend to "hook" the player onto them easily. I wouldn't have guessed after all this time, the hooks could be useful with zombie, but it is welcoming to see these developments.

If I can figure out this E1M5 route you have just discovered, we are looking at 8:1X territory for RTA in the next attempts... but it will require science for RTA. Even finding a set up to get it could be worth the trouble, since I currently walk back to the spawning section to exit out of the level at the decorative door at the start. I will be doing some attempts and science tomorrow night on stream, ETA 18 hours from this post.

Great stuff Dimon!

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Alexo said:

I clapped out loud watching this, I have waited years to see a proper attempt at a TAS. I know it will take time, but your efforts are showing great progress thus far. I was made aware a few days ago you made D64 TAS in the past, so I have faith your TASing for prior games have brought this crazy one to your workstation. Great stuff so far.

If I can figure out this E1M5 route you have just discovered, we are looking at 8:1X territory for RTA in the next attempts... but it will require science for RTA. Even finding a set up to get it could be worth the trouble, since I currently walk back to the spawning section to exit out of the level at the decorative door at the start. I will be doing some attempts and science tomorrow night on stream, ETA 18 hours from this post.

 

Doom 64 TAS was at the beginning of my hobby path. Fortunately, it was eventually grabbed by @HeadshotTAS. Thank you, dude!
 

I don't think it worth the effort for RTA. In theory, it's a 5-6 secs time saver, but I have brute-forced it already. It's a matter of tiny fractions in your movement values. I'm sure you'll end up losing time even you eventually manage to perform this glide.

Thank you for a positive feedback

Share this post


Link to post

8:17 Tonight! 8:1X has been achieved, and the Time save is in obvious places.

 

Current Segments in 8:17.
E1 2:45 
E2 2:26

E3 3:06

E1 has potential for 7-10 seconds of time save.
E2 has 7 seconds of viable time save. Level 10, 14
E3 has the largest time save potential with level 17, 18, and 22 improvements

Best Segments played so far:

E1  2:38 (Set same stream as 8:17, different attempt)

E2  2:26 (In 8:17)

E3  2:48 (Add menu times for 2:53 segment, played this segment 9/07/2020)
Total time with best segments: 7:57-7:59

Required for sub 8

E1 Time of 2:40 or better

E2 Time of 2:26 or better (5:04-5:06 RTA at end of E2)

E3 Time of 2:53 or better (2:48 is record, 5 seconds average is given for menus)

Episode 3 is a cruel segment. Hilariously the biggest clutch of the run after its so easy in the beginning... its great to watch though. The run is a lot easier in some parts at the start, but the older strats in the end game are not entirely obsolete.. Yet? (Dreaming likely.. lol)

I'm enjoying playing this again, and will be closing into the barrier of under 8 minutes soon enough... I never thought I would be actually saying that.
Now averaging a zombie glitch save every 15 minutes. It's getting easier to time watching for single digits and scratches. Have had a 16 IGT with successful glitch happening.
Also possibly the first ever instance of this happening, Zombie glitch happened back to back between two speedruns. 
 

21 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

I don't think it worth the effort for RTA. In theory, it's a 5-6 secs time saver, but I have brute-forced it already. It's a matter of tiny fractions in your movement values. I'm sure you'll end up losing time even you eventually manage to perform this glide.
 


I got it once in the warm up before the stream tonight, and your 100% right. Human viability is unlikely with how complex it is. This is easily the last thing to attempt RTA when no further time save is left anywhere else. Attempting as a "lottery trick" for even a fraction of time save is how I see this ever being added... lol

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×