Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DubstepJesus91

which games did you regret buying

for me its:

Arma 2 - its not bad or anything like that but i only bought it for the day z mod which i ended up never playing

DMC Devil May Cry - the combat is alright but the frequency of unskippable uninteresting cutscenes killed it for me

Crysis 2 - i dont know what, but something makes this game horrible for me

Thief 4 - probably, i'll have to play the dlcs to be sure but i'm pretty certain that they wont change my mind

Bioshock Infinite - I think my views are well known round these here parts.

Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2 - I didn't like either game in particular. I wasn't super pleased when I heard Baldur's Gate 3 was being handed to Larian. 

Pathfinder Kingmaker - This game tried to be more what I would want than the Original Sin games but, it's a mess with a lot of questionable design decisions.

Pillars of Eternity 2 - questionable story, but mainly a technical mess that runs like crap no matter how good a PC you have and the turn based mode is all you can turn to to make the frame rates acceptable.

Wasteland 2 - I just have never been able to get into playing it.

Steam's refund policy has saved me from what would probably be a much longer list. 

Crysis 2: starts off very promising, but soon after the curve keeps declining

Crysis 3: literally the same

Dirt 3: great visuals, great physics, too much of the same in the long run, didn't finish

Hitman 5 Absolution: bought because of great visuals and positive critiques, turned out to be not my cup of tea, aborted playing

Just Cause 2: Liked the predecessor (got it for free), this one didn't click with me, aborted

Need for Speed Rivals: Awesome visuals, bought on a sale, boring to play, aborted, has been my last Need for Speed so far

Pillars of Eternity: Was a backer (Kickstarter), turned out not to be what I expected, aborted

Splinter Cell Blacklist: I liked Chaos Theory and DoubleAgent, this plays way different, it's a real punishment, aborted

Two Worlds II Velvet Edition: I liked Two Worlds, awaited a sequel with anticipation, huge disappointment, aborted

Yakuza kiwami 2, terrible optimization for pc, can barely run at anything above 30 to 40 fps despite having an extremely high end pc. Completely ruins most of the atmosphere that the original game had and is also another asset flip, this time from 6.

Unfortunately, I was optimistic in thinking that it would be a far better remake then kiwami 1; I can no longer refund it due to 2 hours worth of substory completion.

i grabbed a few warhammer tactics games cos I generally like their designs but I managed to get two that played exactly the same. I like that sort of turn-based feel and I think of Necromunda as probably the setting I like best; they should just let you know when they're basically use the same engine as the last game so you don't grab a repetitive combination of their stuff. underhive wars is the one I'd keep, I like the strictness of the objectives that kinda teach you not to waste your moves, so even when the enemy units make bad decisions you're still forced to make good ones. the game I shouldn't have bought is the medieval fantasy version of that game, whatever it's called

Fallout 76

Not No Man's Sky...I actually didn't regret that even with all the missing features in 1.0.  I love it...

But I still regret Fallout 76...

I'll probably get skinned alive for this but for me it's The Witcher 3, I really don't understand all the hype, it's basically Dark Souls but boring (at least to me)

Also For Honor but because the day after I bought it they added it to the Game Pass.

Just now, TenenteZashu said:

I'll probably get skinned alive for this but for me it's The Witcher 3, I really don't understand all the hype, it's basically Dark Souls but boring (at least to me)

Also For Honor but because the day after I bought it they added it to the Game Pass.

I like the combat and builds you can make in The Witcher 3, and the story...but there is too much damn dialogue.

"Why waste time say lot word when few word do trick?"

2 minutes ago, TenenteZashu said:

Oh, oh, Witcher 2. I'd say Witcher 3 as well but I got it for pennies when I did. Witcher 2 was just a series of 4-5 times I tried to play through the start and got bored to death every single time.

And I could say Dark Souls but someone committed the crime of gifting me that. 

My dad bought it - my brother and I were about 12 and 6 respectively - but a game that I would not pay a dime for these days that I somehow enjoyed as a kid was Bill Laimbeer's Battle Basketball:

This is probably my only personal "Mandela Effect" thing, but I swear that this game was called Bill Laimbeer's Battle Basketball back in the day - a better name, by all merits - and was actually good..

So yeah, I didn't "buy" it, but it's the only game I've ever owned that I remember really liking as a kid, but then disliking later on. There's probably others but I've just blocked them from my brain..

I never REALLY bought any games that made me regret buying them later on, but still, I never bought games that sucked ass, Such as Fallout 67 or DN3D's Cursed Randy Port (coined by Civvie11) since i only really buy the good stuff like DOOM64 or whatever else.

The Shadow Warrior reboot. Tiresome gameplay and awful, awful map design. They were so unconcerned about hiding how insanely linear it was that they could not even be assed putting decor beyond the artificially created barriers designed to funnel you to the next arena encounter.

Duke Nuke Forever. A whole lot of meh with a side order of cringe, garnished with a load of huh - specifically the bit where Duke coldly tells his twin girlfriends they are fucked instead of, you know, giving a shit.

To be fair...... Alien isolation. I thought i was a fan of alien series. Turns out my nostalgia was not enough to enjoy this slog of a game.

A few spring to mind:

• Tunnel B1. Looked promising, thought it was pants.
  • Prey (2006). Again, looked promising but never got into it
  • Dead Space. Turns out I don't actually like space/horror survival games despite loving the Alien film franchise.
  • Aaaaaannnnddd.... Quake 4. I made an effort to play it last year, and really enjoyed it until I got to that FUCKING tank/arena duel bit. Quite tricky - I never actually got past this and it really spoiled what had gone before. Not really a regret buying it I suppose, but a regret that this game had such a crappy interlude bit.

I bought Outward on PC last year. It looked really good and the beginning was great but it ultimately fizzled due to terrible combat and vague progression. It was too unfair to enjoy. 

59 minutes ago, VanaheimRanger said:

But I still regret Fallout 76...

It's supposed to have improved greatly meanwhile. Perhaps you should give it another try.

36 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

The Shadow Warrior reboot.

How far into Shado Warrior (2013) did you actually play? At first, I had the same concerns, derived from previews. I wanted a true sequel to Shadow Warrior which this is not, but a prequel of sorts.

Later on, I bought it in a sale. For the first few levels, the gameplay felt underwhelming. But if you stick to it, the character weapons and abilities improve, and with it the gameplay (e.g. the sword). The greatest fun though is the hilarious sidekick Hoji. On the first encounters, it didn't really click with me. Later on, though, the dialogs improve and Hoji and Lo Wang have some really funny and nasty conversations. I then kept looking forward to their next meet.

1 hour ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

Resistance 2 (I liked the first so much better ;_;)

what's wrong with the second one? i have a few resistance games that i have yet to play, but should i just avoid playing the second one entirely?

Battlefield 3 and 4.

While I do had some fun in those games back when it was Origin-only, by the time it went on Steam the game wasn't as fun anymore, because the lack of local-based servers for both, and draconian dedicated servers in 4. Not to mention I get curbstomped in 4 no matter how I try. Haven't played any BF games since the BF1 beta and 2042 looks like it's going to be divisive with the formula.

Honestly, I had more fun playing with friends on other games like ARMA 3 or Hired Ops or hell, Counter Strike Nexon Studios.

3 hours ago, DubstepJesus91 said:

Arma 2 - its not bad or anything like that but i only bought it for the day z mod which i ended up never playing

I don't remember when I bought ARMA 2, but back then I was told to not bother with DayZ. It was more of a PvP deal with us, and everyone had migrated to 3 by this point.

Custom co-op missions are the best.

Five Nights at Freddy's. I was a bit late with getting a Steam refund, and thus forever shall it remain in my library's hidden section never to be played again.

Postal 2. I think I paid all of about ¢50 for it and I still felt ripped off.

Edited by [McD]James

cuphead, all u do is platform and die

borderlands, bland repetitive chore with annoying characters

33 minutes ago, roadworx said:

what's wrong with the second one? i have a few resistance games that i have yet to play, but should i just avoid playing the second one entirely?

It's been forever since I returned it, but from what I remember, the characters and the presentation just felt so different that it wasn't appealing.  Like success went to the developers' heads and the charm of the first was lost.  I'd still suggest giving it a try since a lot of people really liked it, however.  I'm just picky about my games sometimes.

Bought PUBG, installed it, ran it, slowed my pc to a crawl while it ran in the background for two hours while I tried to open task manager, couldn't refund it because I'd played it too long. Once it finally ran I realized that everyone had already gotten good at the game. Basically made damn sure that I couldn't refund it before letting me try it. 30 dollars down the toilet. Don't buy PUBG if you respect your time and money.

The only game of recent memory I can remember buying, hating and then refunding it was Remember MeIronically, it was a forgettable affair and I can't specify my exact reasoning as to why I refunded as this was maybe 8 years ago now. I just remember (heh) being really dissatisfied with it and determining that it was definitely not worth the money I had paid for. Pretty sure I bought it new when it released in Australia so it would've been about $50-$60 at the time.

Duke Nukem Forever.  I remember I paid near full price for it just because I wanted to have the King of Vaporware in my collection.  I've hardly played it.

GP3-2000.  Dissatisfied with Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 3, I picked this up before realising that Grand Prix 4 existed.

For me it's Dark Souls 2.
I was pretty excited to play it after thoroughly enjoying DS1, but the longer I played it the less and less enjoyable it got. It's a competent game if im being generous, but man the price I paid for it WAS not Worth what I got. Money could have been spent elsewhere.

With Dark Souls 1 and 3 I was able to replay a ton.

4 hours ago, DubstepJesus91 said:

Crysis 2 - i dont know what, but something makes this game horrible for me

For me, it was the oversized weapons that made the HUD feel more cramped than it really was, the uninspired setting, the inexplicable redesign of the Aliens, the forgettable characters (instead of Jason Statham as your sidekick, you get some whiny nerd) and bland human antagonists (the human villain had always been the worst part of Crysis games, but the angry mercenary leader who just hates you was particularly uncompelling) and the cliché confusing story that felt so removed from the original. Also, the offscreen death of the original protagonist before the start of the game rubbed me the wrong way: not that he was that amazing of a character, but I liked him, and he had a voice and a personality - both things that Alcatraz utterly lacks.

Edited by Rudolph

3 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

For me it's Dark Souls 2.
I was pretty excited to play it after thoroughly enjoying DS1, but the longer I played it the less and less enjoyable it got. It's a competent game if im being generous, but man the price I paid for it WAS not Worth what I got.

Did you play it using shields?