Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BaileyTW

Maps made worse by their music

10 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

With some soundfonts, that track can sound pretty bad....which I agree, especially the humming-trombone-esque part.

It is the only song I don't really like in Hexen, a game with a fantastic soundtrack overall. I love the entire Heretic soundtrack. Schilder has given me lots of inspiration but Grover I just find it bland.

Edited by pcorf

2 hours ago, pcorf said:

It is the only song I don't really like in Hexen, a game with a fantastic soundtrack overall. I love the entire Heretic soundtrack. Schilder has given me lots of inspiration but Grover I just find it bland.

And consider that it's the shortest map ever, even as a secret map...something like Fortress of Mystery but worse.

My vote goes to the MIDI rendition of Gustav Holst's "Mars, Bringer of War" in map 4 of Equinox. It already sounds somewhat out of place as it is, at least I feel it's a bit ill-fitting, but then the MIDI just... dies like halfway in, leaving the rest of the map in silence until it starts up from the beginning again. I don't know where B.P.R.D. got the midi from, but I don't know how it managed to not get fixed.

For me, Grover starts off well enough - I particularly like the section from 0:40 to 1:10, especially in the Xeotroid and Solar Studios covers of the Hexen OST - but the rest of it does feel bland to me, as if Kevin Schilder ran out of ideas when composing it.  I think it works alright in the map that it was made for, but yes, I can certainly imagine it not suiting most other maps.

The Gantlet from Doom 2. Countdown to Death is ridiculously annoying. I always just turn it down and play some Shawn's Got The Shotgun or I Sawed the Demons.

Nirvana has this track too but that map is way worse than The Gantlet so the music fits.