SLOTH MARINE (CB)

What map editor did first use and the one you use now

Then: Doomcad 5.1, and 6.1.

Now: Gzdoom Builder.

1 minute ago, Reelvonic said:

i use doom builder

just doom builder.

i need a newer one

Like, Doom Builder the first? Yeah, holy shit, get you some UDB, my dude.

Doombuilder 1

now I use Doom builder 2

Anyone remember Deepsea?

Just now, jerrysheppy said:

Like, Doom Builder the first? Yeah, holy shit, get you some UDB, my dude.

yeah the first. its primitive. but nice if it was a base for any newer ones

Started with DB1, currently using UDB.

If I might add general editors, started with XWE and currently use Slade.

Started with:

• I honestly don't remember if it was DEU or DCK. It was 1995. I know I quickly moved to using DCK until it became shareware, but I have a very vague recollection of a time before that when I drew vertices and lines in one editor (maybe DEU) and then opened the map in the other editor to define sectors.

Use now:

• Eureka

First editor I tried but could never use successfully: DoomCAD

First editor I actually made maps with: WadAuthor

Editor I used for the most years: Doom Builder 1 (about 2005 to 2017, roughly)

Editor I use now: GZDoom Builder (2017 version)

As for more modding-oriented tools.. Back in the day I used WinTex, then switch to XWE in the mid 00's, then finally around 2018 made the switch to Slade (though once in a blue moon I'll use XWE since I find texture editing a little easier in it, and it natively exports BMPs). Oh also every version WhackEd since version 2!

I started with DEU 5.21, but only really got learning with DEU II 5.21 and Hank Leukart’s Hacker’s Guide to Doom. My first lump editor was NWT, graphics tool was Paint and sound tool was Windows Recorder.

Now I’m on Ultimate Doom Builder, SLADE3 and Paint, with myriad other tools seeing some use (like DoomWriter and WHackEd 4), but haven’t recorded any of my own sounds for over ten years.

First: Doom Builder X

Now: The Ultimate Doom Builder

I started with Doom Builder 2 since it was the recommended editor for anyone wanting to get into Doom mapping according to many and it had tutorials too. After a few maps, I found out about GZDoom Builder and liked that it had some new features (although I've forgotten them), I only made one map for it. A few years later, I found Ultimate Doom Builder and I've been mapping in it since.

Then, to construct pwads for DOOM, HEXEN : DETH 4.24

Then, to construct pwads for ZDoom DiHF : ZETH 4.17, Deepsea, Doombuilder2

Then, slowly switching to GZDoom UDMF :  GZDoom Builder, GZDoom Builder Bugfix

Now to construct pwads for UDMF : Ultimate Doom Builder

Then New WAD Tool, SLumpEd , XWE

Now: Slade3

First: Doom Builder 1.

Current: Ultimate Doom Builder.

Started with Doom Builder 2 mostly because I didn't know about the others and then quickly switched over to DBX so I could use Lua mode (spoiler alert : I mostly didn't). I was only mapping in UDMF back then, and had to constantly switch between UDB and DBX to be able to do cerain hings without having to re-do all my keybinds in UDB, and then definitely switched over to UDB when I changed my setup, and never came back to DBX.

DoomCad 5.1 at a time when I didn't have internet. Found The Doom Hackers Guide in a store and that's how I first got set up with making Doom levels. As soon as CodeImp came up with Doom Builder I jumped ship and haven't looked back. Now I'm using Ultimate Doom Builder.

Got a copy of an early version DEU back in the day on a magazine cover disc in like 1994 or 1995, before I got on the interwebs. Made a few bits of nonsense now lost to time. It is better that way.

I don't design maps but when I want to crack open a map for whatever reason I used Ultimate Doom Builder.

Edited by Murdoch