spineapple tea

Favorite Map Theme.

Favorite Map Theme  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Answer here:

• Techbase (Knee Deep in the Dead)
    • Toxic Techbase
    • Demonic Techbase
    • Abandoned Techbase (covered in vines, beat up and ruined, etc)
    • Episode 3 Hell (pools of lava, fireblu, lots of red)
    • Gothic Hell (Scythe 1's Terror. Pools of blood and black castles.)
    • Hell on Earth (Demonic arcitechture making its way into normal Earth locations)
    • Gothic (New Gothic Movement)
    • City Levels
    • Nature (Valiant, Vangaurd, any other Skillsaw map like that)
    • Heaven (Culture Shock from Ancient Aliens, last few maps of Eviternity)
    • Not mentioned here (Reply with anything I forgot)

There’s also temple theme, mostly dominated by Hexen’s mesoamerican or Egyptian texture sets 

It may seem strange to choose Episode 3's very stereotypical depiction of Hell over all the cool gothic stuff and the more unique themes. Especially since to me, techbase maps are usually the best looking. Episode 3 feels different from every other Hell themed map in any other commercial wad to me because It's a very "ghetto" part of Hell if that makes any sense. There's no high class buildings around.

The Unholy Cathedral for one example, looks like it's worshipped by low tier demonic hellspawn. Got some basic inscriptions on the walls, the floor is literally just dirt! And there's basic marble and brick everywhere.

59 minutes ago, KubaloBlackMT said:

It may seem strange to choose Episode 3's very stereotypical depiction of Hell over all the cool gothic stuff and the more unique themes. Especially since to me, techbase maps are usually the best looking. Episode 3 feels different from every other Hell themed map in any other commercial wad to me because It's a very "ghetto" part of Hell if that makes any sense. There's no high class buildings around.

The Unholy Cathedral for one example, looks like it's worshipped by low tier demonic hellspawn. Got some basic inscriptions on the walls, the floor is literally just dirt! And there's basic marble and brick everywhere.

I should've specified that I was thinking of two specific Hell themes. Episode 3's with "ghetto" fireblue buildings and whatnot, and red fiery Hell like map 26 of Scythe 2.

1 hour ago, Endless said:

You forgot Thy Flesh Consumed theme. Marble temples, orange/hellish skyboxes, gothic hell and wood structures being major tropes in it. That's my favorite of the originals themes.

Screenshot_Doom_20210622_223251.png

As for this, I'd categorize it somewhere between Gothic and Gothic Hell.

(sorry for the double post, editing with quotes is weird.)

Gothic Hell for sure, Eviternity Map 24, Gossamer, and JPCP's Map 25 come to mind. Also love the Thy Flesh Consumed aesthetics.

Spoiler

image.png.c54560eeead6919b10c5f640b347b7a4.png

Spoiler

image.png.3287d8458d32154c27d1360a452d062a.png

I like the jungle style, but with a hint of hanging/impaled bodies. Demonic jungle. Maps that are tech but with dark/blinking lights and full of traps also give free rein to my imagination.

Scythe 2's vine jungle temple stuff is definitely up there for me! Darken E2-style techbases are also near the top of my list, those never get old

2 minutes ago, Tango said:

Scythe 2's vine jungle temple stuff is definitely up there for me! Darken E2-style techbases are also near the top of my list, those never get old

Your maps are my favorite map themes tbh with Mayan Mishap and Paradise

I love caves and cities a lot. but i think my fave theme might be miscellaneous vanilla - new environs forged from the basic doom 2 texture set just have this spiritual draw to me, dunno why. love darkwave's individual levels with inspired usage of zimmer* and all that. kinda hope my Northern Powerhouse texture theme touched a few people in that way too, I put a lot of thought into that random kludge of wall stuff

Really big fan of unique themes specific to the map set in question. Stuff like Ancient Aliens comes to mind to me, which basically invents its own theme.

Tech Base not like the ones from doom 1, but something even more futuristic and the heaven are 2 things that I feel deserve more love, they are certainly beautiful

Demonic tech-bases. Looks for more unique then just E1 styled tech-bases IMO.

Though, gothic Hell and nature maps are some of my other favourites as well

Lately its been City and Hell City maps like

Odyssey of Noises (Plutonia Map29), Planisphere 2, Engineering Disaster and Bane Capitol (Maps 06 and 12 of Valiant), Hell on Earth (Scythe Map29), ect

I wish this was multiple choice! I can't pick just one. Themes I'm very partial to:

- Something between a standard Doom 1 and Doom 2 tech-ish base

- Natural settings like Beaches, Deserts and Caves

- City Levels in general

- Sci-Fi settings like the surface of a moon, or anything that takes place in outer space

- All of the above, but run-down and abandoned

I do like Hell maps, Gothic maps, and Temple maps, but moreso for SP. I don't exactly know why, but in Deathmatch I can play something with a classic Doom1/2 texture set almost endlessly, but fatigue sets in with every other theme. I guess because I find unfamiliar settings kinds of distracting or something? I dunno.

Never found a theme that I "disliked" other than REALLY bright stuff like the 8-bit wads and MegaMan on Zandronum, and even then it's just because my retinas get melted within the first minute by such bright and vibrant colors.

Eviternity Heaven is still my favorite Doom episode in particular, but as for common level themes absolutely nothing beats city levels for me!

Definetely these color-coded HELL.  Absolute work of art that will torture both of your mind and your body.

QQ截图20210623194710.png

QQ截图20210623194821.png

QQ截图20210623194908.png

It's very hard to pick just one. I mostly like tech based themes and sci-fi style, spacey stuff. Toxic bases are cool too. But I like a lot of different stuff. It depends on the map. I have played some really cool Hell style themes that look awesome. I of course like stuff made using the original textures as well, no matter what it is. And yes, give me a Fireblu theme and I'll like it!

There are some really cool marble style themed maps out there too.

I don't like too many city levels, but I do like a couple.

Since it's not on the list, I'll mention one theme I am a HUGE sucker for: Winter.

I just love icy, snowy landscapes and some WADs really bring out the cold, desolate feel winter has, whilst keeping a warm, friendly feel for some interiors (like houses during Christmas).

10 hours ago, N1ck said:

I should've specified that I was thinking of two specific Hell themes. Episode 3's with "ghetto" fireblue buildings and whatnot, and red fiery Hell like map 26 of Scythe 2.

Oh I see now, I actually like both. My favorite red-filled map would have to be Baron's Banquet from NRFTL. Favorite ghetto ass Hell map would either be Pandemonium, Unholy Cathedral, Gate to limbo, or House of Pain. Basically most of Episode 3.

The Darkwave0000, Death-Destiny, B.P.R.D. natural landscapes with a touch of a techbase here and there theme, combined with a pleasant, whimsical track from another game, usually adventure-style Zelda like. I guess you could technically categorized it as "Abandoned Techbase (covered in vines, beat up and ruined, etc)" but I thought being more specific would be better.

Not sure. Maybe,. a mix of nature and buildings or tech, like caves in baren land that lead on some area with buildings or structures on the other side, etc.. maybe some sea/beaches/etc in between. Desolate terrain interrupted by building structures, tech or gothic or otherwise. In fact, it's like I am describing some of my favorite maps from Roger Ritenour, Earth.wad, Phobos.wad, Pleiades.wad (the later ZDoom ported one combines some very atmospheric desolate terrains with his later phobos.wad maps).

Chose Gothic Hell here - Si666il and datacore's hell-themed maps are pretty good representations of what i'm thinking of.  But also am very fond of Episode 3 hell-type maps (like some in Eviternity), which are more common at least in my experience. 

Great maps come in all categories, but if there's one theme i don't like, it'd ironically be techbases (not a big deal for me, some of the best maps are techbases regardless of my distaste for the theme). :D

17 hours ago, Endless said:

You forgot Thy Flesh Consumed theme. Marble temples, orange/hellish skyboxes, gothic hell and wood structures being major tropes in it. That's my favorite of the originals themes.

Screenshot_Doom_20210622_223251.png

Absolutely. Something really captures my imagination in Episode Four. The Bible verses used for titles makes it even better. Even though the secret level isn't very scary I also just love that it's called "Fear". Kinda like naming a level "Terror" or "Death" or something like that. Incredibly foreboding.

16 hours ago, VanaheimRanger said:

The Hell Jungles of Plutonia.

I really love how grungy and dirty Plutonia feels, and even though there's a city level and a few that feel more like nukage tech bases, it keeps the outdoor military jungle base theme pretty consistently. The dirty feel with the deadly gameplay make the whole wad feel oppressive and evil. I love it.