Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Doom(2).exe question

DooMBoy said:

I really love Doom in all its glory, but I've tried playing the original exe, and it just sucks compared to ZDoom. If only the original exes were around, I probably wouldn't be a Doomer.

that is an unsettling thing to hear... but not surprising, I guess.

Opulent said:

that is an unsettling thing to hear... but not surprising, I guess.

I didn't mean to upset you, Opulent :)
I mean, think about it:
Doom(2).exe runs in two graphics modes: 320x200 and 320x240. No one but a very hardcore Doomer (which I don't think I am) would play a game with such chunky, pixellated graphics nowadays when there are multiple ports (which include ZDoom, my fave Doom port) that let you run the game at 1024x768 or higher. Then there's the sound, which sounds like it's being run a cheese grater. There all sorts of reasons (which I won't go into) why I play Doom with ports instead of the original exe itself.
Once again, I love Doom, and Doom2, and always will, but the original exe(s) just suck when you compare them to the (vast majority) of ports that are available.

well, I think virtually every hardcore player still prefers the real game to the source ports.
although Boom and MBF come close(the rest are hopeless), nothing compares to the control in the real game.
however, I'm glad the ports are there so you can tolerate this game. :)
heck, Jdoom alone makes me want to playthrough Doom2 again... and even Hexen. :)

Fredrik said:

320x200 is fine for me, though I usually play in 640x400.

And 640x480x8 is cool. (|)

The major advantage to DooM(2).exe is that each requires no setup (other than the controls perhaps). Before I bought my xp machine, I would only use ports if required.

EDIT: Plus they'll run on pretty much any computer made in like the last 10 years.

ravage said:

And 640x480x8 is cool. (|)

I noticed that on zdoom 320 x 200 and 640 x 400 look better than 320 x 240 and 640 x 480. The reason being that the sprites are rescaled in the standard desktop resolutions (or else they'd look bad) and they don't look as good, some details getting blurred. So (overall) 640 x 400 looks about as good as 800 x 600.

Opulent said:

surely would still be going strong. look at quakeworld.

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. GLQuake brought mlook, higher resolutions and prettier graphics to Quake, features which the source ports have brought to Doom.

Grazza said:
GLQuake brought mlook, higher resolutions and prettier graphics to Quake...

What the high smeg?

Quake always has mlook and higher resolutions (both dos and win quake) ...or have IO missed somthing

Ct_red_pants said:

Quake always has mlook and higher resolutions (both dos and win quake) ...or have I missed somthing

Nope, you haven't missed anything ;)

The original DOS Quake did have mlook and high resolutions support.

GLQuake also brought transleucent water, although if I remember right, the original maps require a level 4 vis before you can actually see the effect.

Blah. OK, my point remains that Quake/GLQuake wasn't so much in need of source-port enhancement.

Grazza said:

Blah. OK, my point remains that Quake/GLQuake wasn't so much in need of source-port enhancement.

Wolf3D with high resolutions and mlook and jumping and TCP/IP 32 player fragfest! Heh, that'd actually probably be lame. =P

Anyway, I think the reasons I still play Doom is because of DeePsea (I'm a control freak. I make Jetpack levels and play games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Azure Dreams where you can change/control everything) and maybe the multiplayer. But most importantly, I think it's the editing.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Pink would look weird but not right, white would just be a white screen (in any case a greyscale key would look dull) and dark purple probably wouldn't work.

I got bored. ^_^

I'd still be a doomer without ports. I can DM over msn zone in doom2.exe and I rarely use any port for single player.

DOOM Anomaly said:

I would still be using Dos Doom from the ol Doom.exe...Didnt find out about source ports till June of last year.

DosDoom is a source port(the father of Edge IIRC)

He said "dos doom", not "dosdoom." Anyway, dosdoom is the predecessor of most DOS/Windows ports, such as boom, zdoom, windoom, and so on. Most authors of user made engines give some credit to Chi Hoang for dosdoom. It was the first engine to aim for the type of customization EDGE has.

Lobo said:

DosDoom is a source port(the father of Edge IIRC)

Sorry, I was a bit vague with what I meant. What I meant by Dos Doom is just when you goto Dos and type Doom(2) at the prompt and it runs it; the very first way of playing it, before ports or anything, I played like that till June 2002. I thought it was great, but source ports, ro><0rz my Bo><0rz when I first found them, seeing Dos wont play sounds or music.

DOOM Anomaly said:

What I meant by Dos Doom is just when you goto Dos and type Doom(2) at the prompt and it runs it; the very first way of playing it, before ports or anything, I played like that till June 2002.

That's how I play now. I don't need a port or anything like that, since I have Windows 98 installed with a SoundBlaster 16, so sound works fine.

If there were no ports, Doom wouldn't be as remotely as popular as it is today. Think about the number of "I can't run Doom on system x with operation system x" queries that've been answered by "download port x".

Personally, I probably wouldn't play it as much, but I'd still play it. I still play arcade games I first played when I was 9 (nearly 14 years ago).

myk said:

That's how I play now. I don't need a port or anything like that, since I have Windows 98 installed with a SoundBlaster 16, so sound works fine.

Heh, ya, but at the time, I quit windows entirely, resarted in Ms Dos and just ran dos and that was it, I barely was in windows, always in dos, playing Doom.

I used to do that, because at first I didn't know how to set up sound for DOS on Windows, and when I eventually did know, I didn't like the mouse sensitivity on it. Later I learned to set up my DOS mouse driver on Windows... but lately I use a Windows exclusive mouse driver, even, as it offers a smoother response (slight acceleration) and makes my mouse feel the same on doom and zdaemon (the only port I use for playing nowadays.)

A Source Port is definitely required for me to play. Using the mouse was dodgy in DOOM.EXE, while turning round you would always move forward and back a bit.
Also, <SOUND CARD CONFIGURATION>. Remember the pain of trying to get sound to work, when every IRQ and DMA don't work? Settings that worked the first time didn't work the second time. Frustration guaranteed.