Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

Deadly Standards 4 - We have no standards anymore! (Doom Episode 4 Community Project) COMPLETED!

Episode Compiled: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/s-u/standrd4

E4M1: Breaking Contract! - Walter

E4M2: Blackwater Park  - NeedHealth

E4M3: Not a sewer - SilverMiner

E4M4: News Studio "Whatever" - DukeOfDoom and SilverMiner 

E4M5: Venture Capitol - cannonball

E4M6: Human Surrender - NeedHealth

E4M7: Sad Retaken Voyager - SilverMiner, DukeOfDoom, Chainie

E4M8: Olympus minds - cannonball

E4M9: Office Castle - Endless

Edited by Walter confetti

I hope I am not going to tread on any toes here.  But if it is ok I might take a crack at E4M8. I can visualise a natural conclusion given the theme in the op at the very least.

I'd like to take a shot at E4M7. Also, I echo Noiser's statement: if I fail to deliver for whatever reason, open my slot. Additionally, I'm open to collaborate / hand my slot over if someone wants to participate more than I. Don't get me wrong: I will be taking this commitment very seriously, but I do have a somewhat mixed track record when it comes to delivering on time, and I hate the idea of unilaterally preventing someone else from participating.

I see all the slots are taken, but consider me a back-up for E4M5, because that's the one where I'm inspired by the original music. I will not start mapping, tho, unless for some reason @whybmonotacrab runs into problems. And anyway, I could use the energy to make a map for my own E4 project, so best of luck, @whybmonotacrab!

18 hours ago, Steve D said:

I see all the slots are taken, but consider me a back-up for E4M5, because that's the one where I'm inspired by the original music. I will not start mapping, tho, unless for some reason @whybmonotacrab runs into problems. And anyway, I could use the energy to make a map for my own E4 project, so best of luck, @whybmonotacrab!

If you want to take my slot feel free. I mainly just jumped in so I'd be forced to actually finish something, but I can always do something else.

4 hours ago, whybmonotacrab said:

If you want to take my slot feel free. I mainly just jumped in so I'd be forced to actually finish something, but I can always do something else.

I certainly had no desire to encourage you to leave the project. It's just that people sometimes drop out, and if that was to happen for this map slot, I wanted to put dibs on it before anyone else. In previous episodes of this series, people would put dibs in to replace anyone who might leave, regardless of map slot, and then it's a case of Walter calling on the first person who spoke up whenever someone else leaves. As you have seen, map slots get taken in the blink of an eye for these episodes. They were already all gone when I saw this thread which was only 4 hours old at the time. That's why I spoke up immediately.

Before you make your decision, consider this. First, there is no way I can do any mapping for this project before Halloween, because I'm working to get a megawad released on that day. So you have between now and probably mid-November to get going on a map before I could even think about it, and if you do, you'll probably want to finish it. Second, Walter wants new mappers for these episodes. That's you, not me. ;) Third, I placed maps in E2 and E3 of this series. IMO, they're 2 of my best maps, so I have no problem stepping aside and letting a young gun like you take this slot.

IOW, I'm saying, "Go for it." You say you wanted to join up in order to actually finish something. Well, you won't finish if you don't get started. :)

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

So you have between now and probably mid-November to get going on a map before I could even think about it, and if you do, you'll probably want to finish it.

Sounds good. If I don't have anything at least halfway decent by then, I'll hand the slot over to you.

1 hour ago, whybmonotacrab said:

Sounds good. If I don't have anything at least halfway decent by then, I'll hand the slot over to you.

Fair enough. :)

Edited by Steve D

2 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Cool layout... and looks like there lot of monsters too!

Currently 227 monsters. :-P will probably be something like 280 when the map is done.

Added the secret exit and was thinking for a while that I should hide it but I decided against that. On the left is the normal exit.

982747412_PrBoom-Plus2.5.1.42021-07-0200_07_36.png.4a90f1824c446ee07681f7bd416630dd.png43918199_PrBoom-Plus2.5.1.42021-07-0200_08_37.png.9967ce679abd07dc1fdc9521c8e059aa.png

e1 - like in the fact that there is a secret exit on this map and not that you can waltz right into it. :-P

Edited by NeedHealth

Looks like this will be cool, too bad I'm to late to help. Oh well, I'd love to play this, Episode 4 is one of my favorites.

That exit have a charming touch, i like the design of it! Reminds me of Fava Beans secret exit for E1M3, there was a similar choice for the exit room iirc...

Maybe add some bars at the window, so who will play will not be confused to think that he can jump through! Or make the lower section a little taller, your choice.

Looks neat! Anyway, did some other of you guys started working on this or you are in stand-by like me, waiting to finish on other projects?

3 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Looks neat! Anyway, did some other of you guys started working on this or you are in stand-by like me, waiting to finish on other projects?

I'm on standby currently, but I plan on getting to work on my submission next month. I have a clear theme and source of inspiration in mind, I just need to create an appropriate design and execute it. The one thing I'm not sure about is the size of the map. I'm leaning towards something in the 15-20 min playtime range, with 200-300 monsters.