Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Minor Doomworld suggestions (splitting up "Wads & Mods")

23 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

WADs & Mods should have one subforum for wad releases

+1

Please staff, consider doing that.

3) In the same way that Doom Editing has two “sub forums”, WADs & Mods should have one subforum for wad releases. Between a hundred wad development threads, general wad discussion threads, things like the DWMC etc, if newcomers who post a wad don’t get a reply within 5 hours - the amount of time a thread spends on page 1 before getting pushed back to page 2, which no one reads - their work is Doomed to obscurity.

Yes please. For the /newstuff list I do in the Wadazine this would be a blessing. (it would put me out of a job too lol)

Also:

Spoiler

pls fix downloads and reviews k thx

And also, I think the News section could be revived. If you click on it it will send you to the last /newstuff from 3 years ago. There have been recent news items that would be worthy of appearing in that section.

Maybe adding tags for the threads could help with that.

Holy crap (Lois), this thread already got over 100 views in 45 minutes.. Wish I could always get that rate of viewership on my YT channel 😂

6 minutes ago, rd. said:

People can already do this with embedded images, but I dislike the idea of Cacowards as status symbols and think that would be very tacky if done by the website itself. 

Yeah I do see that, and if done improperly someone can come out as egotistical.

20 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Holy crap (Lois), this thread already got over 100 views in 45 minutes.. Wish I could always get that rate of viewership on my YT channel 😂

make a doom eternal game journalist meme and you will get that in seconds...

Just now, omalefico32x said:

make a doom eternal game journalist meme and you will get that in seconds...

“Game jurnalist cant beet Doom huhuhuh”

5,341,950 views - uploaded 16 hours ago 

honestly there's a lot of stuff that should be done on dw. it's desperately in need of a touch-up, and maybe a small expansion. there's tons of stuff that could be improved, some features that should be carried over from the doomworld of yore, things other than the downloads section that needs fixing, etc

really, just stuff that would make doomworld be even better than it already is

Just now, Doomkid said:

“Game jurnalist cant beet Doom huhuhuh”

5,341,950 views - uploaded 16 hours ago 

the worst thing is that they talk as if journalists hated the game when in reality almost all of them gave the game a 8 or above

honestely i see this happening with every hard game that comes out people say that journalists hate it when the game has a 80% positive score or more on metacritic

happened with doom, dark souls, shin megami tensei and countless other indie titles joournalists like hard games just as much as everyone else

2 minutes ago, roadworx said:

honestly there's a lot of stuff that should be done on dw. it's desperately in need of a touch-up, and maybe a small expansion. there's tons of stuff that could be improved, some features that should be carried over from the doomworld of yore, things other than the downloads section that needs fixing, etc

really, just stuff that would make doomworld be even better than it already is

Well, this is just a suggestions thread, I think you should feel free to suggest the things you have in mind. Other than the stuff mentioned in the OP, including fixing downloads which I know is hard, I honestly couldn’t think of anything else!

ok but on topic i really dont like shadow bans here after the whole reelvonic situation if it was disclosed in his profile that he was banned that would have made me a thousand times less worried and every time i see a old account that hasnt posted in a while i have to guess if he moved on from doom or if he was shadow banned

9 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

ok but on topic i really dont like shadow bans

I agree with the inelegance of the undertitles not being able to change when someone is banned, but that term is incorrect and refers to something a lot worse:

Shadow banning, also called stealth banning, ghost banning or comment ghosting,[1] is the practice of blocking or partially blocking a user or their content from an online community so that it will not be readily apparent to the user that they have been banned. For instance, shadow banned comments posted to a blog or media website will not be visible to other persons accessing that site from their computers.

37 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Well, this is just a suggestions thread, I think you should feel free to suggest the things you have in mind. Other than the stuff mentioned in the OP, including fixing downloads which I know is hard, I honestly couldn’t think of anything else!

well...

• reviving the news section; we have plenty of people who'd be interested in contributing to it, so it wouldn't mean the administration having to manage even more stuff than they already do
  • bringing back a homepage with all the informational pages listed on the side/top/whatever, maybe even linking to @Doomkid's stickied thread, so people FOR SURE will go to those to have questions answered
  • idk how easy these would be to fix, but there's some bugs with the reply box features that're kinda annoying, especially with the @ function
  • as @omalefico32x said, changing the status to banned when someone is...y'know. banned.
  • making transparent images easier to use on here, cuz rn it's kind of a pain in the ass lol
  • making the mods of each subforum visible again, so people know who to contact for more specific purposes, as well as one centralized list of mods/admins that's easily accessible
  • a guide to formatting, cuz there's stuff like spoilers and headers that aren't readily apparent that you can use

that's all i can think of for now

Edited by roadworx

17 minutes ago, rd. said:

I agree with the inelegance of the undertitles not being able to change when someone is banned, but that term is incorrect and refers to something a lot worse:

yea i know but i saw a lot of people refearing to bans not public as shadow bans here so i though it was just community jargon

30 minutes ago, rd. said:

something a lot worse

Tachy goes to Coventry!

More constructively, this:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2325424/

Also:

The ability to make silently amendments to a post of yours awhile / for a while. Ten minutes, for example.

The style still contains few black on black and white on white elements.

Edited by Diabolución

Yes that is true. Many people post their wads in under one section and it makes a little bit chaos. It should be considered because we get nearly tens maybe even hundreds of new wads from people and it is not easy to look each one of them for users.

49 minutes ago, roadworx said:
  • making the mods of each subforum visible again, so people know who to contact for more specific purposes, as well as one centralized list of mods/admins that's easily accessible

Every mod is global. edit: apparently there are more mods than I realized lol

It might be an anticlimactic answer, but the existing report feature is already the way to contact mods, not sending out DMs. For example, someone who wants their own wad thread locked can report it and use the specific option "This comment is okay, but I want to tell a moderator about it" with the request typed out. 

For anything that requires a DM rather than a report, usually contact the admins (not mods).

I am willing to field DMs for complaints about harassment or bullying or things like "someone's posts are racist dogwhistles," if using the report feature would be uncomfortable. But never about warnings or bans. 

1 minute ago, rd. said:

Every mod is global.

(Not to derail too much, but I only have moderation abilities over posts/threads in the Multiplayer subforum)

12 minutes ago, rd. said:

Every mod is global. edit: apparently there are more mods than I realized lol

It might be an anticlimactic answer, but the existing report feature is already the way to contact mods, not sending out DMs. For example, someone who wants their own thread locked can report it and use the specific option "This comment is okay, but I want to tell a moderator about it" with the request typed out. 

For anything requires a DM rather than a report, usually contact the admins (not mods).

I am willing to field DMs for complaints about harassment or bullying or things like "someone's posts are racist dogwhistles," if using the report feature would be uncomfortable. But never about warnings or bans. 

i was thinking more "ask this person cuz they're an authority on the subject". so for example, ask doomkid for stuff relating to mp, ask dew for anything regarding demos, ask quasar for anything about eternity, etc

but that'd probably defeat the purpose of question threads, wouldn't it lol. and now that i think about it it'd be too much work for the mods so nvm

2 hours ago, rd. said:

Did #1 since that is the one I have the permissions to do.

I agree that some refactoring of W&M makes sense. Monthly thread volume is 2x what it was in 2017. I've been moving around a couple dozen threads from there to Doom General a month -- usually topics like "When did Doom WADs hit their Peak?" or "Is there still any demand for vanilla maps?" or "I just played Plutonia map01" -- so it's kind of getting diffuse in its purpose.

My one suggestion to anyone who wants to help out here, before the admins do (or don't do) anything, is that if a thread seems to fit in both Doom General and Wads & Mods, don't hesitate to start it in Doom General.

Also, once upon a time, the DWMC was basically the only "playthrough" thread in W&M. Now its various spinoffs, along with Ironman variants, are quite common and usually stick on the first page (there are currently four there). So a talk can also be had about those going in Doom General instead now. 

Yes, 100% agree. One other thought I had, is that the ‘what are you working on’ thread in W&M is essentially a duplicate of the Doom Pictures thread in Doom General.

Also, maybe the newstuff and idgames FAQ pin could be moved to Doom General? Since the idgames upload pin is there

Edited by Horus

27 minutes ago, Horus said:

Also, maybe the newstuff and idgames FAQ pin could be moved to Doom General? Since the idgames upload pin is there

Didn't think of this before, but this is a great idea

36 minutes ago, Horus said:

shouldn't both of them go in w&m, or its possible future subforum?

Could equally fit in either imo, the advantage of Doom General is that it frees up more space for people’s projects in W&M

Being able to actually know who the moderators even ARE would be nice. Right now I discover a new one every week it seems.

Definitely agree on the wads and mods forum being split up though, much like the Editing forum is.