Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomsday

Is there any reason not to always run?

11 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Holy crap, you’re right! I never knew. Makes sense though, given that always run was one of those famous glitches-turned-feature

Always run was a glitch turned into a feature?

Yep! Vanilla Doom EXEs generate a file called DEFAULT.CFG, in it there's a value called joyb_speed which can be set to 29 or 31 for autorun, but it wasn't by intention:

I usually have it off, unless I'm playing a huge open map that I find myself running just to cut down on traversal speed. I like the feeling of pressing the "fast" button, and I also do get a little dizzy from constant running. I used to play with always run all the time though, so I've had to get used to playing without it. Sometimes I'll forget and fail to dodge a fireball because I'm walking all calm-like.

1 hour ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

He runs way too fast, unrealistic.

So I "walk" only and assume this is normal running.

This is a reason.

Batman has seen some shit, walking through Doom. ;)

eagerly awaiting a "no running allowed" section of a map where it just crushes you if you start moving too quickly

I would think one could make a case for constantly running during combat would be so they're more likely to evade hit scanners (as in all former humans). If you're walking you give a group of hit scanners more time to react to you being in line of sight. On the other hand running is more likely to allow you to evade or move yourself to a hit scanner's(s) blind spot. I'm certain skilled players could possibly evade hit scanners just walking but running, I would think, would mitigate damage way more over the course of a play through.

Personally though it's just so much easier to leave a pinky rested on Shift and slip it off when needed for walking.

I usually have "always run" off, probably more out of habit than anything else, I'm used to holding down the shift key when I want to run.

There absolutely is! I like to go at a slightly slower pace and really take in the small details in level design, which go more or less unnoticed when blazing through with always run.

I have caps set to toggle always run on and off (with shift to also switch it but not toggle) and I toggle always run off for maps with sections of jagged thin walkways or ledges (like Sigil's E4M7). I think about toggling it off for something like the ledges in the chasm but then I think "nah I can definitely just full speed this" and then I fall. Of course that's still having always run on and small exceptions of toggling it off, except for if one day I randomly decided that actually I hate my left pinky I don't think I'd ever default to autorun off.