Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wadmodder Shalton

Microsoft Windows 11 confirmed exclusive to 64-bit CPUs.

2 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Also, Microsoft is now advising users against installing Windows 11 on M1 iMacs because it is not supported and it isn't the same as Apple's Boot Camp option for x86-x64 CPUs either.

So? They are just covering their asses. What if some schmuck installs Windows 11 on an M1, damages their computer and sues Microsoft for providing "defective software"? Things like this can happen in America, but now they can point to their statement and say "we told you not to do this!"

On 9/8/2021 at 10:11 AM, Edward850 said:

"unlockable boot loader"? Is locked boot loaders a thing on American phones or something?

Some phones like Samsung (Snapdragon variant) has it's bootloader locked in America, while in Europe (Exynos variant) has it unlocked
And recently (afaik) Huawei blocked the ability to unlock bootloader, due to consumers "damaging" their phones.

I think I will side with Graf here, unprecedented move I know. Windows is dead already, guys, and for the most part legacy compatibility was just dragging their development and barely helping but the niche of people who wanted to run old stuff but didn't want to port it to Linux.

I do have one slight objection...

On 9/16/2021 at 3:57 AM, Graf Zahl said:

...but then again, VMs suck at running games anyway - so what?

Is that really the case? There has been a lot of development in virtualization technology lately, I wouldn't be surprised if hypervisors are now running close to bare metal speed, and even supporting native(ly bridged) 3D acceleration on top of that. VMs for gaming is becoming more and more of a reality.

----

While I agree with you in this instance regarding compatibility, I can't help but note that you exhibit some Windows XP era mentality.

For instance, to think that the limit of a machine's performance faculty is a hard concept when talking about software; of course you can't make a 486 run at 2 GHz, but that doesn't excuse the squandering of swathes of CPU cyclesm in ill-implemented libraries and some ill-designed software and ecosystem, the name of things like object-oriented programming (a fad for which enticement from real programmers is almost dead nowadays, anyway).

public class PenroseFactoryFactory { public PenroseFactoryFactory(int order, ...) { ... } public PenroseFactory build() { ... } ... }

There may also be a tinge of capitalist apologia there, but that is probably just me, so don't quote me on that.

Windows 11 is going to fail but linux isn't going to replace it.  Many people would still be on windows 7 or xp if it was still supported. 

5 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

So? They are just covering their asses. What if some schmuck installs Windows 11 on an M1, damages their computer and sues Microsoft for providing "defective software"? Things like this can happen in America, but now they can point to their statement and say "we told you not to do this!"

The issue in this case is a VM under parallels, so fairly certain this would well fall under "it shouldn't be possible to run software under macOS that damages your computer."

Given that it seems to be difficult to get a straight answer from Microsoft about Windows for ARM licensing, I'm still personally convinced that there's some contract with Qualcomm preventing them from offering Windows on other SoCs (at least for some period of time).

2 hours ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Is that really the case? There has been a lot of development in virtualization technology lately, I wouldn't be surprised if hypervisors are now running close to bare metal speed, and even supporting native(ly bridged) 3D acceleration on top of that. VMs for gaming is becoming more and more of a reality.

Has it really been improving?  The performance impact of virtualization has been technically minimal since hardware virtualization extensions came about, but acceleration features for virtual GPUs has been hit and miss every time I've looked at it.  At least looking casually it doesn't seem like there has been a whole lot of development on 3D acceleration from the big hypervisors since it was initially implemented (which if I recall correctly was done in the late 2000s when operating systems started doing 3D compositing.)  Not to mention issues with input not working quite the same as native (any virtual GPU have DX12 and Vulkan support yet?).  Of course these issues can be worked around by passing through physical hardware, but that's not what was in question.

Now that I think of it though, Windows 11 should help move things forward in this area since it seems like the lack of certain features get ignored until an operating system suddenly requires it.  I remember how EFI support became a thing in some hypervisors as soon as Apple announced they were letting people run macOS VMs on mac hardware.

8 hours ago, Blzut3 said:

Given that it seems to be difficult to get a straight answer from Microsoft about Windows for ARM licensing, I'm still personally convinced that there's some contract with Qualcomm preventing them from offering Windows on other SoCs (at least for some period of time).

It sounds likely. The way Windows for ARM is currently being handled does not benefit Microsoft at all. But if they were able to outsource some work or have it paid for by Qualcomm it may have been worth it, considering that right now we're not there yet with ARM.

In any case, the CPU is only half the story. ARM won't get far if it's all tightly integrated SoC's without any upgrade ability or being able to run them with a dedicated graphics card. Makes me wonder how ARM will fare if being used as a standalone CPU - i.e. whether it's the tight integration that makes them so efficient or some inherent design advantage.

Has it really been improving?  The performance impact of virtualization has been technically minimal since hardware virtualization extensions came about,

I can't say that my experience is "technically minimal" impact. At work I use a Mac because my main target is iOS, but occasionally I need to use Visual Studio as well. And despite this system being significantly faster than my home PC, Windows feels very sluggish when run in the VM, so either the impact is not minimal or the VM infrastructure on macOS sucks.

but acceleration features for virtual GPUs has been hit and miss every time I've looked at it.  At least looking casually it doesn't seem like there has been a whole lot of development on 3D acceleration from the big hypervisors since it was initially implemented (which if I recall correctly was done in the late 2000s when operating systems started doing 3D compositing.)  Not to mention issues with input not working quite the same as native (any virtual GPU have DX12 and Vulkan support yet?).  Of course these issues can be worked around by passing through physical hardware, but that's not what was in question. 

Yeah, that part is definitely a crapshoot. Running any games in that VM is a very unsatisfying experience...

42 minutes ago, Yandere_Doomer said:

They need to work on 10 more before they go to 11

I won't buy 11 anytime soon

That reminds me, it feels like only recently that we got a proper Dark theme for Win10, and even now with Win11 on the horizon, it still feels incomplete; setting a Dark theme has no effect on programs like Notepad.

Looks like Windows Media Player is finally getting a metro/UWP inspired redesign this year or maybe next year according to this Windows Central article:

https://www.windowscentral.com/heres-our-first-look-windows-11-media-player-app?amp

It's appears that WMP is finally getting a major redesign for nearly a decade since it's last visual upgrade since the release of Windows 7 in 2009, so maybe development of the old Win32/Win64 versions of Windows Media Player 12 are going to get killed with with Windows 11.

Probably maybe many of the features that are rarely used these days might get killed off as well in the new Windows 11 version of WMP, like dropping compatibility with the old PlaysForSure & PlayReady portable devices from the early-2000s until the early-2010s, the removal of the old middleware code that was used by many PC Software & Games during the 1990s until the 2010s, and maybe even more outdated or old WMP API code that doesn't seem to be used that much anymore.

But for now, we'll have to hear what Microsoft has yet to announce with the new Windows 11 version of Windows Media Player, in regards to new features and removed features.

Okay, D-Day is here - October 5, 2021, Windows 11 release day. Has anyone seen Windows 11 show up in their Windows Update feed, or found it some place other than through the Windows Insider program? I sure haven't.

Since half the machines on the planet can't run it, at least without hacking their registry, it will probably not show up for many people. My work PC almost certainly can't and my Dell 490 at home most definitely wouldn't (though I use Linux at home so LOL).

I ran the Microsoft health check program (again) and confirmed that my laptop is capable of running Win11 (i9-10850K, 32MB RAM, 1TB NVMe drive, TPM 2.0, etc.). It's just not showing up on my Windows 10 Professional's Windows Update feed.

9 minutes ago, ducon said:

Neither my machine nor my wife’s machine have a TPM chip in them.

Don't need one - just the ability to run TPM 2.0 on the motherboard and have it enabled in the BIOS. I think that's what it is, anyway.

Intel has TPP and AMD has fTPM in their bios a few years now those work, no need for an actual module on the mobo.

5 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Don't need one - just the ability to run TPM 2.0 on the motherboard and have it enabled in the BIOS. I think that's what it is, anyway.

Why not Win 11 doesn’t agree.

I know that there is a place on my wife’s motherboard for a TPM chip but I did not find where to enable it in the BIOS.

Edited by ducon

Not upgrading to Windows 11. I'm just not seeing the point, plus I hate moving to new OSes before they've been properly tested on a big scale.

I had to wait until Windows 7 stopped being updated to move on to Windows 10 and I feel the same will happen here.

9 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

I ran the Microsoft health check program (again) and confirmed that my laptop is capable of running Win11 (i9-10850K, 32MB RAM, 1TB NVMe drive, TPM 2.0, etc.). It's just not showing up on my Windows 10 Professional's Windows Update feed.

Windows 10 is getting the update later this year. Today is just the day where new PCs with Win11 preinstalled will be out in the wild.

On 10/5/2021 at 3:44 PM, Martin Howe said:

Since half the machines on the planet can't run it

I have core i7-7700HQ (yeah it's 7th gen ik) with TPM2 support and it still tells me it's not compatible

I bought this laptop 3 years ago come on

Edited by The Doommer

1 hour ago, The Doommer said:

I have core i7-7700HQ (yeah it's 7th gen ik) with TPM2 support and it still tells me it's not compatible

I bought this laptop 3 years ago come on

Did you enable the TPM module in your bios? On Intel this will be called PTT, and on a 3 year old system it may not be switched on by default this was not the expectation back then.

Yeah... even though they skipped an odd number by going straight from 8 (crap) to 10 (ok), we all know, deep inside, that Windows 11 is going to be the crapper nobody wants, just like 98 (First Edition), ME, Vista and 8 before it. Just switching numbering scheme isn't enough to hide it ;-)

Jokes apart, does any other mainstream OS enforce that TPM shit or plan to do so in the immediate future?

17 minutes ago, Maes said:

Jokes apart, does any other mainstream OS enforce that TPM shit or plan to do so in the immediate future?

Linux distros support it but currently don't seem to require it for anything major. MacOS is an enigma, who knows what they will do, but given they just changed architecture again I'm not sure if it's even relevant.