Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wadmodder Shalton

Microsoft Windows 11 confirmed exclusive to 64-bit CPUs.

2 hours ago, Kokoro Hane said:

Does 11 force mandatory updates like 10 did?

"force mandatory" is redundant terminology. I'm giving you a C- at best.

Either way no, you can't disable updates, and that's never going to change. You can mitigate them such as setting up a metered connection, but turning them off is not intended at all. Letting people turn those off was a constant vector for security vulnerabilities, and why things like bot nets were constantly growing. It's not longer sensible this day and age to let systems on the internet without being able to patch any security issues.

2 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Stardock sold Start8 and Start10, I have no doubt they'll have Start11 pretty shortly if it's not already there.

Start11 is already out. I'm running it on Windows 10 by way of Object Desktop.

10 hours ago, Kokoro Hane said:

*snip*

I personally would not recommend upgrading to Windows 11 yet. Remember, the damn thing is still in its infancy!

And to answer your question regarding MS Paint... yes! ...But it has a redesigned look, so it may not look familiar.

21 hours ago, Edward850 said:

"force mandatory" is redundant terminology. I'm giving you a C- at best.

Either way no, you can't disable updates, and that's never going to change. You can mitigate them such as setting up a metered connection, but turning them off is not intended at all. Letting people turn those off was a constant vector for security vulnerabilities, and why things like bot nets were constantly growing. It's not longer sensible this day and age to let systems on the internet without being able to patch any security issues.

Ah let me rephrase....

I am not talking about disabling updates, but making it where it's not automatic. Because if the net is not stable or you have a very slow internet connection, sometimes you gotta download your updates later, or a few at a time (for example, on my net, 1GB takes one hour, but some days it is really bad and crawls much worse). Obviously having security updates are important and should always be done, but I am just wondering if you can update in your own time. And also that it doesn't have undesired updates.... like when they tried to remove MS Paint on 10 lol.

42 minutes ago, Kokoro Hane said:

I am not talking about disabling updates, but making it where it's not automatic. Because if the net is not stable or you have a very slow internet connection, sometimes you gotta download your updates later, or a few at a time (for example, on my net, 1GB takes one hour, but some days it is really bad and crawls much worse). Obviously having security updates are important and should always be done, but I am just wondering if you can update in your own time.

Like I said, set up a metered connection. This disables automatic downloads of most updates by default. This applies to both 10 and 11.

19 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Hmm, very sad that they changed it to that instead of the old way of the setting of Windows Update allowing you to manually update. This doesn't seem very practical nor is it straight-forward, disabling most is not the same as "all". 11 and 10 just don't sound slow internet friendly. Which is especially not good when everyone in the house is online at once. 

I can respect that. But as previously noted, it's no longer viable to have out of date systems on the internet in this day and age, and Microsoft is in a position where they have to take security very seriously. There's no changing that unfortunately.

Edited by Edward850

And even today, if anyone is planning on building a retro Windows XP or earlier build, and maybe a modern Windows Vista or newer build, your gonna have to activate your copy of XP and later over the phone, as none of the Windows Product Activation & Windows Genuine Advantage servers work over the internet anymore.

And this is for the fact that Microsoft themselves never released any official patches for XP, Vista & 7 to reflect the changes to their genuine software and anti-piracy webpages made after they transition their websites to HTTPS & HTML5, causing it to break portions of Microsoft Product Activation & Windows Genuine Advantage once all of Microsoft's ActiveX web development for their internet services was shutdown and cancelled, and the fact that there is barely any community workarounds to circumvent the DRM these days, and I mean nobody cares about Windows XP, Vista & 7 these days and nobody does, you simply can't use unactivated and pirated copies of XP, Vista & 7 on modern internet and recent years, they are all firmly busted.

3 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Windows XP, Vista & 7 these days and nobody does, you simply can't use unactivated and pirated copies of XP, Vista & 7 on modern internet and recent years, they are all firmly busted.

Of course you can't. They're not being updated. This is common knowledge. Again i am finding myself wondering what your point is exactly?

On 10/30/2021 at 11:23 AM, Murdoch said:

Of course you can't. They're not being updated. This is common knowledge. Again i am finding myself wondering what your point is exactly?

He probably meant that you cannot legally activate them anymore... because as we know, that's what every builder of such retro-boxes was planning on doing, right?

1 hour ago, Maes said:

He probably meant that you cannot legally activate them anymore... because as we know, that's what every builder of such retro-boxes was planning on doing, right?

Yup activating them and using them online like a rebel cause updates and antivirus are for pussies.

Or maybe some software does not support Windows⩾7.

I met one day a software that worked only on Windows⩽XP or only inside a virtual machine that emulates Windows XP in Windows 7.

45 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Yup activating them and using them online like a rebel cause updates and antivirus are for pussies.

Well, antiviruses you can still use, including Security Essentials from Mama Microsoft, which does still get regular updates (I think it's cross-release, somehow?). If you really are engaging in high-risk activities on the Web and you're worried about the lack of updates for your OS, you could always dual-boot into Linux, and cockblock any would be hackers/malware right there, for reasons already mentioned. Then, after you're done with those, you can switch back to good old XP/7 to get shit actually done :-)

So I get the official Microsoft Device Health Checker, which supposedly determines whether you're able to upgrade to Win 11. Apparently my 4-year old pretty high-end (when it was new) laptop processor from just 4 years ago doesn't make the cut (an Intel i7 7700HQ quad-core processor @2.8 ghz)

...except that on their webpage listing all the supported processors, that very model is among those they support? Wtf?

image.png.1c167a21ffa2ae3e40427da7390088fc.png

Because NTVDM has been discontinued with the release of Windows 11, I've asked the personal at the Crappy Games Wiki about writing a page on the Discontinuation of NTVDM, but I haven't heard back yet.

Looks like enterprise companies are out of luck with Windows 11 unless they adapt the use of OTVDM with their servers.

4 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Looks like enterprise companies are out of luck with Windows 11 unless they adapt the use of OTVDM with their servers.

I can guarantee you, not a single enterprise customer was using 32bit Windows, or NTVDM. That's why it was never supported in 64bit Windows (finally allowing Microsoft to kill off it's security issues).

That's also why none of this even matters. You are banging pots and pans about a thing only a very small handful of people even cared existed at this point.

I’ve been using Windows 11 for a few months now and for the most part don’t mind it. I hope it improves a bit in a future update though. The one thing I cannot stand though is the “more options” when you right-click. These “more options” should be the main options as they’ve always been, and the options that now display when you right click should be the “more options” instead. 

19 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Because NTVDM has been discontinued with the release of Windows 11, I've asked the personal at the Crappy Games Wiki about writing a page on the Discontinuation of NTVDM, but I haven't heard back yet.

I have to agree with @Edward850 here Shalton. I have honestly failed to get the point of 99% of what you have said in this thread. Look at the specs of Windows 11. Really think about it. Windows 11 is clearly not an OS intended to support the past. It has an eye firmly on the future to the point where even quite recent modern machines can not run it, let alone ancient 32bit CPUs that you are for some reason so concerned about. They are clearly not the intended market and I really fail to comprehend why you seem to be struggling to understand this. Enterprise customers still running 32 bit CPUs would be a microscopic part of the market. Windows 10 still is going to be supported till at least 2025 and will probably get an extension, by which time many of those systems will either be dead or replaced.

It is not only foolhardy to expect Microsoft to support older technology ad infinitum, it is unreasonable. It is a financial and developmental burden that saddles the OS with bloat and baggage that holds back the customers that have upgraded. Why should they suffer for the relative few clinging to old machines? I do agree with the preservation of history. There's old hardware that's not going to disappear anytime soon for the dedicated hobbyists who care about it, plus emulation for things like DOS games, just as there's emulation options for Amiga, Commodore, Spectrum and any number of retro platforms dating back decades.

2 hours ago, Murdoch said:

It is not only foolhardy to expect Microsoft to support older technology ad infinitum, it is unreasonable. It is a financial and developmental burden that saddles the OS with bloat and baggage that holds back the customers that have upgraded. Why should they suffer for the relative few clinging to old machines? I do agree with the preservation of history. There's old hardware that's not going to disappear anytime soon for the dedicated hobbyists who care about it, plus emulation for things like DOS games, just as there's emulation options for Amiga, Commodore, Spectrum and any number of retro platforms dating back decades.

There's also virtual machines. Which pretty much any corporation still using the kind of old-software/modern-hardware combo Shalton is concerned about has already put in place.

The legacy systems most affected by this cannot and will not run Windows 11. They're old DOS or Amiga machines running printing presses or something.

4 hours ago, Murdoch said:

It is not only foolhardy to expect Microsoft to support older technology ad infinitum, it is unreasonable. It is a financial and developmental burden that saddles the OS with bloat and baggage that holds back the customers that have upgraded. Why should they suffer for the relative few clinging to old machines?

It's like calling Apple tech support and saying "oh, so you're telling me iOS 15 isn't compatible with my iPhone 3? Why not?".

17 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

It's like calling Apple tech support and saying "oh, so you're telling me iOS 15 isn't compatible with my iPhone 3? Why not?".

Only that Apple was much more hardcore than that: even between consecutive releases of their OSes, backwards compatibility was "fair game", to put it mildly. Even when they didn't change CPU and OS architecture.

Microsoft on the converse, bent over backwards in order to accomodate backwards binary compatibility to ridiculous extents. That, in turns, created certain expectations...

18 hours ago, Maes said:

But will Windows 11 run Doom?

not to worry, if not then Doom will run Windows 11