Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rabidrage

Script to make textures spawn actors?

Is there a simple script that would allow specific textures to spawn actors, so that a universal mod could add custom monsters, weapons, etc. wherever said textures appear?  It would be great to have one script that could be copied and pasted, and modified for multiple different pairings.  I'm thinking of making a Wad compilation that's compatible with it, and I'd love to see what kind of fucked-up progression I can create!

I don't think that's possible. A texture is a texture.

Spawning something would need some sort of spawner Thing I think, and of course, you'd have to hand-edit the code behind the spawner so it knows what classes to spawn. There's no generic, universal way to just tell something "These are all the monster classes."

It's possible with something like ZScript. You iterate through a level's sectors (for floor and ceiling textures) and then through its sides (for wall textures), and you can spawn stuff from there.

This could serve as a base, if the disclaimers do not deter you from going forward.

If you want something that works in Zandronum, you're out of luck.

Interesting, Gez.  I've seen and downloaded something similar before.  Horribly inefficient for lighting, unless I get a much better computer.  But it could serve as a base for something better.  And I might even use the lighting effect specifically for skies, because the effect when you're passing a window is pretty cool without bogging the framerate down too badly.