Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tony_Danza_the_boss

Are you vaccinated against COVID 19?

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

I think a small explanation of what each vaccine does may help:

Pfizer/Moderna: MRNA vaccine. Essentially this is a blueprint/signature/description of how the Covid virus acts and behaves.

I would describe this one from a microbiology analogy: You have a USB stick (the vaccine). The USB stick has code inside it (the mRNA). You insert the USB stick into your 3D printer (your cells). The 3D printer reads the code and prints out a spike protein (a small, incomplete part of the actual virus). Now your immune system can look at the spike protein and remember it. The code eventually disappears so your cells don't keep making the spike protein.

So the reason people fear this type of mRNA vaccine is because they start wondering, what if the mRNA is coded incorrectly, what if it instructs your cells to create prions and incorrectly folded proteins like mad cow disease.

This is in contrast to the Novavax and Sinovac vaccines, which simply give you the already assembled spike proteins, or a dead virus (instead of giving you mRNA code for your cells to make the spike proteins itself). I prefer this type of vaccine; I don't want to run unknown code through my body.

Edited by RDETalus

Got my vaccine and I have this sudden urge to upgrade to Windows 11...

6 hours ago, kinker31 said:

Now, I'm no expert on virus biology and statistician stuff, so don't take what I say entirely at face value, but my reasoning lies in that I don't think COVID was really enough of a threat at any point to warrant the stuff that happened in 2020 and an ASAP-priority-level development on a vaccine.

???

several million people are dead and even more have likely been permanently crippled by covid, and that's with the precautions that were taken. how is that not enough of a threat????

6 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Uhm... I'm not an expert, but I'm not sure "vaccine resistance" is actually a thing. We are not talking antibiotics, it's something different. Vaccines work by making YOUR immune system more resilient to the infection, so the virus will have lesser effects on your organism, but you can still be infected and virus will replicate inside your cells as if you were not vaccinated at all. It's just that the reaction will be stronger and you'll heal quicker.

One thing that can happen, and most virologists are worried about, is the emerging of newer strains that are significantly different from the original Covid-19, so they can develop different symptoms and making the current vaccines ineffective, because your immune system would still be unprepared to them. This will eventually happen if too many people refuse to get their shots, which I hope is not the case, because I've had enough of this situation, like everybody else I think. :-(

Biology isn't my core subject so I'm not entirely au fait with the the correct terminology. But I do know that viruses evolve, and that vaccines don't. The more people the virus infects, the more it will evolve and the more likely it becomes that they will evolve past the effective but nonetheless static defences that vaccines provide. This is why infection control is still important even with the deployment of vaccines.

1 hour ago, roadworx said:

???

several million people are dead and even more have likely been permanently crippled by covid, and that's with the precautions that were taken. how is that not enough of a threat????

Long Covid is precisely why I jumped at the opportunity to get vaccinated as soon as possible. I fear that it will be one of the more grim hangovers from this pandemic.

I’m so tired of the whole vaccine hesitancy. My fiancée and I have too many friends who are either saying “well I’ve already gotten COVID so I don’t need the shot”, or “well I’m a germaphobe and I wipe everything down and stuff so I won’t get COVID and I’m not getting the shot and am certainly NOT letting my kids get it.”

OH JFC the mentality of these people acting like they are a doctor. And has anyone seen those stupid Facebook stickers that say “I don’t care if you’ve had your vaccine”? What kind of ASSHOLE do you have to be to have that? And my one friend who got COVID actually put it on her Facebook even before she got COVID. She ended up getting COVID and ended up spreading it to her whole household. Now she has respiratory issues. Doesn’t help that she has diabetes and heart problems.

KARMA’S A BITCH!!!

I invite anti-vaxxers to check out H.Bomberguy's excellent documentary on the subject:

For those who cannot be bothered, here is the short version: 

Spoiler

Andrew Wakefield is a grifter who is actually not even opposed to vaccines, as his whole scheme involved coming up with an absolutely bogus study to scaremonger about the MMR vaccine... so that people would buy his own vaccine instead.

Edited by Rudolph

Here in the USA,

- Influenza kills very roughly 50k per year.

- Radical islamist terrorists have killed 3k-4k, and we take that as a pretense to upend our society and let our empire bleed out into the sand.

- We lost about 420k people in WW2.

Covid killed something like 600k people here in one year. Now, we can't say how many lives could have been saved had there been any semblance of a response, but if you look at how many US citizens Hitler and Osama Bin Laden killed . . .

My family has a history of fibromyalgia, which involves severe chronic inflammation, so when I hear about "Post-COVID Inflammatory Syndrome", that's something I really don't want to fuck with.

I have a day job in a cafe, so I got vaccinated fairly early.

9 hours ago, RDETalus said:

So the reason people fear this type of mRNA vaccine is because they start wondering, what if the mRNA is coded incorrectly, what if it instructs your cells to create prions and incorrectly folded proteins like mad cow disease.

This concern arose due to a research paper by a known anti-vax proponent. He provided no supporting evidence for his claim of this hypothetical and the proposed risks are not founded on biochemical principles, molecular mechanisms of cell function, etc.

This fear is unwarranted and, more importantly, unwanted because it perpetuates vaccine hesitancy based on unreliable information (something that's very common for how it spreads).

On 6/30/2021 at 6:38 PM, Nevander said:

Not yet. I do eventually plan to of course. I keep hearing of new things that they were reported to possibly cause like blood clots and heart problems. Plus I generally don't like to rush to get some new vaccine that was created very quickly. Hesitant, not anti. In the mean time I still take all the precautions and wear my mask around other people.

The Vaccines got faster out because they fastened the bureaucratic Steps, not the scientific ones.

What normally lays around for Weeks on a Desk between houndreds of Documents was prioritized.

The Circle of Testpersons was huge to spot out Stuff and afterwards enogh People got it to spot out even more :)

Also, you read more about what happens in the worst Case because Media is focusing on such Stories.

What i can really recommend is:

Stay away from Astra as a younger Person.(really, that is the Baddy that causes the blood clots on younger(!) Persons)

The mRna ones are pretty good.

I am pretty sure your Arm will hurt, maybe your head also, but everything else will be fine with a mRna one.

As something funny:

Search for the Effects the Placebos had on the Test Persons.

I can't hold myself that 11% of the Persons got Diarrhea out from their Imaginations :)

I have 100 Employees here, one died, four are in the Hospital at the Moment beeing really bad and 10 got it and overstood it well withing the last year.

70 % got vacunated now.

I can really recommend to get the Vaccine.

That Virus is really sneaky and THAT makes it so dangoures.

It will travel around for two Weeks with you and search for new Victims.

On 6/30/2021 at 8:35 AM, Jimmy said:

Second dose is early September so I've applied for a week and a half off work in anticipation that it'll be the dose that knocks me out for a while.

I received Pfizer on June 6th, and my second dose is Moderna on this coming Saturday.

I've cleared my schedule for Saturday and Sunday on the chance I get hit hard by my second dose, and will extend that if need be.

If vaccines are so safe, then why no insurance companies offer a policy against any side effects (which can include death or, worse, permanent invalidity, brain damage or loss of limbs due to thrombosis), say, with a 10.000:1 payout? $100 to get insured, and $1.000.000 payout in case of adverse effects (depending on severity, ofc). Hey, still a 10:1 profit, should the shit hit the fan!

The odds seems to be in their favour, if we liook at UK stats (roughly 1:100.000 thrombosis incidents on 20+ mln vaccinations). Seems like easy money, and yet...nobody does it. Why?

Better yet, why don't STATES take up that role and guarantee medical expenses/invalidity pensions in that case? They sure don't create trust by saying "vaccines ae 100% safe", when they obviously are not, and then letting the "rare" victims (or their loved ones) fend for themselves.

Currently, since the vaccine is "voluntary", no insurance company will pay out (their first line of defense will be "You had it coming, nobody forced you to"), and states, since they haven't mandated it yet (which would open them up to lawsuits and compensation claims), try to play the indirect pressure/persuasion game. AFAIK nobody has forced it even on "undesirables" such as prisoners, illegal aliens etc., so it's interesting to see how it will play out.

TBQH it's also ironic that they essentially ask for an act of blind trust/self-sacrifice for the good of the Many, in an age where it's all about "Me" and "I". I bet people did more research over what's in their cat's food vs what they put in their bloodstreams.

Who is actually saying that vaccines are 100% safe? That's not what I've been hearing from medical professionals, and even the idiotic and corrupt politicians in charge over here haven't made such an obviously false claim so far as I know.

No medical procedure is 100% safe and anyone who claims otherwise is a liar. Hell you can get an infection from getting blood drawn if someone fucks up. Sometimes you just have to go with the least worst option. And honestly allowing such an unpredictable virus with a penchant for mutation to run rampant and unchecked seems to me the greater of two evils.

7 minutes ago, Maes said:

Currently, since the vaccine is "voluntary", no insurance company will pay out (their first line of defense will be "You had it coming, nobody forced you to"), and states, since they haven't mandated it yet (which would open them up to lawsuits and claims) try to play the indirect pressure/persuasion game. AFAIK nobody has forces it even on "undesirables" such as prisoners, illegal aliens etc., so it's interesting to see how it will play out.

TBQH it's also ironic that they essentially ask for an act of blind trust/self-sacrifice for the good of the Many, in an age where it's all about "Me" and "I". I bet people did more research over what's in their cat's food vs what they put in their bloodstreams.

I mean, ANY vaccine is voluntary, just not every business will allow you to work/be there if you're not.

The fact the government has to ask and BRIBE people to care about each other, and that's not a thing that was happening already, kinda just tells you the general population sucks, is all.

20 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

I mean, ANY vaccine is voluntary, just not every business will allow you to work/be there if you're not.

It will be interesting to see how this will play out with the current anti-racism/anti-discrimination laws that every (Western) government has been so eager to push in easier times. Either everybody will benefit from them, or nobody will. There is also the risk of creating a new generation of ghettos and apartheid-like regimes for large segments of the population.

And yeah, we are living in the "snowflake" era. Suddenly asking people (who are not conscripted, under military rule or otherwise officially deprived of their freedom) to behave like ants/bees in a colony and (potentially) giving their own life for the greater good, well, doesn't sound so good. It doesn't help that, as far as I can see, governments have actively tried to protect themselves and pharmas from legal repercussions. So...it's not mandatory...and yet it is...and we wash our hands if the shit hits the fan, and you're supposed to just suck it up?

As a great writer said, "you cannot have authority without responsibility (and viceversa)".

Edit: considering that "bribing" in order to get people to behave "as they should", IMO is missing the big picture: it's just a way for governments to ride on the scot-free/responsibility-free train for as long as they can. After all, volunteers cannot complain, you signed that away the moment you accepted the shot voluntarily, or, worse, accepted a "bribe" for it. Let them make it mandatory BUT standing behind their decision, legal repercussions, compensations, invalidity pensions and all. But from an economic standpoint I get it, it pays to get as many people on-board "on the cheap", and save resources for the hard stuff for later.

Edited by Maes

As for me, I've had my first shot, Pfizer. I had a stiff arm for a few days, my other half said, shame it didn't get injected somewhere else, but anyway.. Got my 2nd jab booked for August.

Be glad to be fully vaccinated and hopefully returning to a normal-ish life again.  

19 minutes ago, Maes said:

It doesn't help that, as far as I can see, governments have actively tried to protect themselves and pharmas from legal repercussions.

Therein lies the rub though. If they could be sued, why would they bother? Why would they invest the millions of dollars into a vaccine that will help the vast majority of people that take it, only to lose most of that when the few it does seemingly hurt turn around and drag them through the courts? It does create a situation where people feel like there's no repercussions for mistakes for them, and that fosters mistrust. And that's quite correct. But the alternative is pretty much no vaccines. It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

18 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Therein lies the rub though. If they could be sued, why would they bother?

Everything correct, except for the fact that in the case of mandatory vaccines, at least in Greece the government has been successfully sued for side effects (BTW, it was by parents on behalf of their school-aged daughter, and for a tried & true mandatory vaccine performed at schools, not an anti-COVID one). This is a clear case where authority (mandating the vaccine) comes with responsibility (paying for damages).

Now,  making the existence of vaccines dependent on lack of responsibility and accountability, that's a whole other ballgame, and probably a legal/medical novelty. Acceptable if we're talking medical experiments (with a voluntary disclaimer ofc, I won't even comment on coercion), but what's being done now really has no precedent. Only History will be the judge of that.

1 hour ago, Maes said:

It will be interesting to see how this will play out with the current anti-racism/anti-discrimination laws that every (Western) government has been so eager to push in easier times. Either everybody will benefit from them, or nobody will. There is also the risk of creating a new generation of ghettos and apartheid-like regimes for large segments of the population.

If you really want to stay unvaccinated, then kindly get away from me and mine. And you can cry about it on your facebooks. Tough shit, it's just repercussions for your own decision, I thought the rugged individualists love that concept.

You make a lot of sound to justify doing nothing. You provided no examples of the dangers of the vaccine, yet you constantly overstate them and dramatically pontificate about government forcing us to die. Among the millions of people already vaccinated, there were just several instances of blood clots from AZ that led most countries to ban young people from getting it, and there are only panicked facebook rumors about the dangers of mRNA vaccines, usually spread by fervent antivaxxers. Meanwhile, any vaccine ensures that even if you catch the virus, your disease will be milder, without long covid aftereffects and certainly without death.

But hey, you do you, and enjoy your mucormycosis when delta inevitably storms Europe.

got the first astra zeneca jab a while ago, waiting til august for the follow up. there's the option to pull that date forwards but i reckon other people need it before me, I'm always either indoors or walking around lakes, being a life-long avoider of cities and work lol

Congrats to the people who got both shots. For those who have one, hang in there! 

4 hours ago, Maes said:

Suddenly asking people (who are not conscripted, under military rule or otherwise officially deprived of their freedom) to behave like ants/bees in a colony and (potentially) giving their own life for the greater good, well, doesn't sound so good.

Oh yeah, this is the so-called "authoritarianism" from many countries. /s

I was supposed to get my second shot today and would be happily announcing that, but due to complications at the local pharmacy my appointment's been pushed back until Tuesday.

Covid restrictions fully lifted yesterday and I was able to go attend a small Canada Day concert and watch the fireworks afterwards. I almost didn't go but damn was it nice to be outside.

Hah, I haven't and probably never will because I live in Guatemala, so fuck me I guess. Good thing Doom keeps me from going outside.

9 hours ago, Maes said:

And yeah, we are living in the "snowflake" era. Suddenly asking people (who are not conscripted, under military rule or otherwise officially deprived of their freedom) to behave like ants/bees in a colony and (potentially) giving their own life for the greater good, well, doesn't sound so good.

"Suddenly"? I do not know if you have been paying attention as of late, but we already do live in a society where most of us are more or less expected to behave like ants/bees in a colony. There is a reason why any large-scale disruption like this pandemic can have such a severe impact on said society's workings, hence the importance of making sure that all of us are properly vaccinated and taken care of.

Edited by Rudolph