Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dexiaz

Boiled Doom (Brutal Doom for DOS and Chocolate) [New version 12.05.2023]

6 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

I will need a DOS machine... Not a biggest problem I can get here, but still. Thanks for info ;)

See below. I may have mixed things up. Apologies :/

3 hours ago, kgsws said:

You do not need DOS machine. Unless you actually want to.

While it is possible to do some obscure stuff that won't work in DOSBox, i have no intentions to do such things.

ACE Engine is and always will be working in DOSBox. And mods using DECORATE subset i support should also work in ZDoom.

OT: It's limited by the hardware itself. You can run a modern Linux trough it with Steam installed ... but why :D

I thought you mentioned by yourself that ACE can abuse stuff that wouldn't play nice on either DOSBox or real hardware?

I found the problem with the chainsaw not making noise. The WeaponReady frames need to be on frames 67 and 68 for it to play the sound. I actually had no idea this was the case before, so you really do learn something new every day. I'll see if I can figure out the rocket crashing problem.

Okay, I found the issue with the rocket launcher. I'm not sure how you did this, but frame 20 has no codepointer assigned to it when it's supposed to have one -- it's normally the Raise frame for the shotgun. I see how you missed it, @Doomkid, because in Whacked4 it looks like any other empty frame. Just move this frame to another normally empty frame and it should work just fine.

Edit: I think I'll tag @fraggle here too since Chocolate Doom did not crash with this like doom2.exe does.

Thanks, @maxmanium, you rock! (Definitely will credit you).

Damn this chainsaw. You might know that I've used TDRR's Dehacked experiment and built a mod upon. And I don't know what he did to this chainsaw, it's code doesn't make sense.

I mean, it uses the same states but some codepointers are swapped. When I'm trying to restore it to the original, game crashes wile trying to change weapon. Plus the animations works not as indented. I'm stuck, because I've just made the similar states as the original, but something is off. I don't even know why TDRR changed anything in chainsaw code, at first I thought he reused some states to advance other weapons, but no.

2 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

Thanks, @maxmanium, you rock! (Definitely will credit you).

Damn this chainsaw. You might know that I've used TDRR's Dehacked experiment and built a mod upon. And I don't know what he did to this chainsaw, it's code doesn't make sense.

I mean, it uses the same states but some codepointers are swapped. When I'm trying to restore it to the original, game crashes wile trying to change weapon. Plus the animations works not as indented. I'm stuck, because I've just made the similar states as the original, but something is off. I don't even know why TDRR changed anything in chainsaw code, at first I thought he reused some states to advance other weapons, but no.

Most likely you're just overlooking something that wasn't changed back. If you PM it to me or something I can look at it.

Tried on Toshiba Libretto 50CT. Just ignore the broken screen ...

THB this alpha feels kinda basic. But i can already see it has a potential.

bd0.png.e8a75d4a4d781ca0298677bbfc29852a.png

bd1.png.460507b8f9af8668d3f517f1676bec07.png

bd2.png.e311feb9ea7de20ec2cf2f86dba89827.png

18 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

See below. I may have mixed things up. Apologies :/

I thought you mentioned by yourself that ACE can abuse stuff that wouldn't play nice on either DOSBox or real hardware?

Yes, it can. But that won't be useful for gameplay mods.

17 hours ago, maxmanium said:

Okay, I found the issue with the rocket launcher. I'm not sure how you did this, but frame 20 has no codepointer assigned to it when it's supposed to have one -- it's normally the Raise frame for the shotgun. I see how you missed it, @Doomkid, because in Whacked4 it looks like any other empty frame. Just move this frame to another normally empty frame and it should work just fine.

Edit: I think I'll tag @fraggle here too since Chocolate Doom did not crash with this like doom2.exe does.

Excellent find!

8 minutes ago, kgsws said:

THB this alpha feels kinda basic. But i can already see it has a potential.

I will release a "beta" soon. I would like to hear your opinion (:

I will say that even currently available build is fun to boot. It feels fast and "umpfy".

I was recently playtesting a Ultimate doom wad on HNTR to check for missing keys etc.
so I added the mod to make replaying the wad more interesting and had a lot of fun.

All I can say that plasma gun felt kinda off, but I can´t really point out why that was.

Played in DSDA (I know that port is not the focus, but still) and everything worked without issues.

Link to playlist if interested.

Spoiler

On 6/3/2022 at 11:17 AM, Dexiaz said:

Special Thanks to DeVloek for gibs sprites for impaled bodies.

I know this is too much but:

Focus more on the Brightmaps

Make a version with aggressive enemies

Make firing sound for the assault Rifle only

Super shotgun gibs enemies (if possible to do so)

Boss fights needs to be harder 

The plasma Gun needs to fire faster 

Ok, I'm still not sure about things I've done, but here the BETA version of the mod:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/boiled-doom-brutal-doom-for-doschocolate/downloads/boiled-doom-beta-early-access-version-hotfix-2

-New M_Doom logo (lmao) (still not sure about this design);

-Destroyable gore corpses (hanging and impaled);
-Brightmaps for all sprites and textures, thanks to @Muusi 
-Changed rifle/minigun sounds. It's impossible to make 2 different sounds in DOS/Chocolate, sad. I didn't came up with the right sound. Need your opinion.
-Chainsaw is not silent anymore, also changed sounds (eh)
-Reloading sounds are present for Rifle and Plasmagun

-New sprites for imp's fireballs and revenant's rockets.
-Something I possibly forgot, but it's not very important.

I would like to hear your opinions and ideas! But don't forget, it's not Decorate anymore, so many functions are unavailable. Have fun!

Edited by Dexiaz

This is literally gonna be one of the most badass DOS compatible mods of all time! Once the full release hits, I'm definitely making a Boiled compatible PSX sound effects addon! 

I spot a bug while playing in Chocolate Doom. A portion of the imp sprite appears on the top left corner if firing the plasma rifle.
DOOM32.png.36e8a4d4ded24e97c53991c5c77a95fb.png

With your latest version, it works with chocolate-doom for doom2, tnt, and plutonia, but the ultimate doom just crashes on startup. Pictured below is what my terminal spits out when I launch the game.

Screenshot_20220621_145144.png

4 hours ago, HelloFellowDoomers said:

but the ultimate doom just crashes on startup

This is pretty obvious that my mod is refering Doom 2 items and monsters, which is impossible to implement in the Ultimate Doom.

You can only run UD maps in Doom 2 IWAD with CC4 textures. In Chocolate it's pretty easy to write in command line, btw.

For DOS I'm planning to create a PWAD with UD levels (they will be altered, though).

This is how I've got a demo record with E1M5 playthrough with Doom 2 monsters.

Ah, oh well. I can live without boiled doom for UD for now. Just thought it was strange that a gameplay mod wouldn't work for all the doom games, but at least it works for most of them. Just don't forsake tnt and plutonia as well XD. But if I were to guess, aren't they identical to doom2 aside from different levels?

32 minutes ago, HelloFellowDoomers said:

But if I were to guess, aren't they identical to doom2 aside from different levels?

TNT and Plutonia? Yes. This is why mod works fine with them.

Havin a lot of fun with the mod!

The only problem i noticed so far is that the chainsaw sound takes a lot of time to be silence again, you can still hear it after stoping the attack or changing weapons.

Is there any possibilty of a widescreen STBAR as an extra addon for people who like to play in more advanced purist ports?

Just tried the beta in Doom2 and TNT. It doesn't feel like a huge change but the details are present and are quite cool. The shootable objects is perhaps my favorite gimmick. Good job :-)

6 hours ago, MauryMyers said:

Is there any possibilty of a widescreen STBAR as an extra addon for people who like to play in more advanced purist ports?

Will do :)

6 hours ago, MauryMyers said:

The only problem i noticed so far is that the chainsaw sound takes a lot of time to be silence again, you can still hear it after stoping the attack or changing weapons.

Hmmm, you're talking about the regular attack sounds? I could try to cut it to fit the timer.

And thanks!

45 minutes ago, xX_Lol6_Xx said:

Just tried the beta in Doom2 and TNT. It doesn't feel like a huge change but the details are present and are quite cool. The shootable objects is perhaps my favorite gimmick. Good job :-)

Thank you! Well, I don't know about major changes, I can only improve the older ones (:

Thanks! Well, there are not much things left to do, it's mostly polishing and fixing released stuff.

2 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

Thanks! Well, there are not much things left to do, it's mostly polishing and fixing released stuff.

Regardless, it is an amazing project. Captures the look and feel of Brutal Doom perfectly. Great job!

On 7/3/2022 at 10:40 AM, Dexiaz said:

Hi, sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you could make a version that doesn't change anything except stuff like monsters and decor. I really want to use smooth black glove weapons (blackops.wad) with this in crispy doom so the gameplay is affected but I can't run both together.

4 hours ago, morningstars10 said:

Hi, sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you could make a version that doesn't change anything except stuff like monsters and decor. I really want to use smooth black glove weapons (blackops.wad) with this in crispy doom so the gameplay is affected but I can't run both together.

4 hours ago, morningstars10 said:

Also cuz I want to use my own hud without having to replace files and stuff

Reminds to me SGtMarkIV Ketchup mod to play without BD weapons and other things. Got it. I'll think about it, but I don't promise anything.