Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dexiaz

Boiled Doom (Brutal Doom for DOS and Chocolate) [New version 12.05.2023]

Ok, it might be boring without a video, but here goes the pre-release version of the mod.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/boiled-doom-brutal-doom-for-doschocolate/downloads/boiled-doom-release-canditate

Changelog:

-New titlepic, M_DOOM is removed

-Fixed brightmaps

-Rifle/Minigun sound is changed again (back to the alpha version)

-Some code improvements I've forgot already

-Wide HUD for modern sourceports

P.S.: I do remember about chainsaw sound, but I've just forgot about this until now, lmao. Will fix it for the release version.

I'm aware of ACE Doom releases, at present time I won't include it's code in my mod. In current state I think I'm at the limit. I wanted to implement better zombieman attacks, but looks like I've took all states for this (since it's not DEHEXTRA or something).

So I'd like to ask you to test it last time, and if everything is kinda ok (except chainsaw long sound), I'll release it.

I've had absolutely no issues with the mod, incredible stuff! (*cough* unless you count the lack of a monsters only version as an issue *cough*) Just kidding its fine, I assume you didn't want to make a version for that, I didn't check out wide hud but I haven't discovered any bugs in crispy doom.

1 hour ago, Sparkoro said:

I have played so many hours in this mod.  Well done!  All I can say is keep up the good work!

Thank you very much!

I'm being enjoying this and I haven't run into any problems so far.

My only doubt if this color change is intended.

Captura de pantalla_2022-11-22_15-07-19.png

Edited by Floowand : Typo

Unfortunately, yeah. It's impossible to create red glowing textures in dark without making everything red colored also glowing (like, blood splats or dead bodies).

But this solution might be not a good option. Need to think about this more.

3 minutes ago, Dexiaz said:

Unfortunately, yeah. It's impossible to create red glowing textures in dark without making everything red colored also glowing (like, blood splats or dead bodies).

But this solution might be not a good option. Need to think about this more.

It is possible, but you need to do some palette optimization to allow for a small set of duplicate reds that can be made fullbright. This change also necessitates remapping any existing sprites and other graphics to use your new palette, which probably conflicts with your intended uses here as a mod. So scratch that whole idea, actually...

9 hours ago, esselfortium said:

It is possible, but you need to do some palette optimization to allow for a small set of duplicate reds that can be made fullbright

LMAO, it IS the palette optimization. Nobody except @Muusi even managed to do something close to this result.

If you think it's really possible, provide the working solution as wad, not as text post here.

1 minute ago, Dexiaz said:

LMAO, it IS the palette optimization. Nobody except @Muusi even managed to do something close to this result.

If you think it's really possible, provide the working solution as wad, not as text post here.

Okay. The working solution is in KDiKDiZD, which adds 38 fullbrights as duplicates without replacing their original colors.

Neat mod! Getting an error in Chocolate Doom though- see attached. I might be doing something wrong I suppose? This is loading just Chocolate Doom and the wad/deh along with Doom 2. Crispy Doom works fine :)

Screenshot 2022-11-23 222306.png

On 11/24/2022 at 8:41 AM, esselfortium said:

Okay. The working solution is in KDiKDiZD, which adds 38 fullbrights as duplicates without replacing their original colors.

I'll check it, thanks.

On 11/24/2022 at 9:25 AM, nickxcom said:

Neat mod! Getting an error in Chocolate Doom though- see attached. I might be doing something wrong I suppose? This is loading just Chocolate Doom and the wad/deh along with Doom 2. Crispy Doom works fine :)

Kind of strange, but possibly I'll fix it. In any case, all released versions are outdated. I'm just waiting for ACE Engine release to work here.

Hey, just wanted to say I've been playing your mod for a little while in order to get more familiar with more streamlined ports (namely DSDA-Doom) and it's really good! Aside from some things like stray glowing pixels and odd colors on the red door colors, I couldn't find anything to warrant criticism and consistently have a  blast playing whatever I load it with! Good job!

I also used it for my April Fools video, in which I pretend it was the latest update of the actual Brutal Doom as the gag. It must have worked because no one called me out yet. :P

This needs a readme file for people to make it work.

Using ZDL launcher with Choco doom. Can't get it to work.

3 hours ago, pulkmees said:

This needs a readme file for people to make it work.

Using ZDL launcher with Choco doom. Can't get it to work.

Then you have to explain what you are doing. How are you loading this in for example?

16 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Then you have to explain what you are doing. How are you loading this in for example?

He might possibly be having the same issue I was having in November?

On 4/4/2023 at 8:44 AM, Redneckerz said:

Same issue as Nickxcom. Same Missing rotations error. Would like to know what version of Chocolate Doom I'm suppose to be using just to confirm I'm doing eveything right.

That's why a readme would be nice.

Got it to work with PRBoom+ and LZDoom, but that aint what this is about. Got to see it at least. Had some fun. Grainy doom with brutal animations and reloading.

Thanks to @RubyAurora, there is the new release of the Boiled Doom!

Download: https://www.moddb.com/mods/boiled-doom-brutal-doom-for-doschocolate/downloads/boiled-doom-al-dente-v-09

Changelog:

• Supports Ultimate Doom (it was crashing in previous versions by using vanilla sourceports);
  • Added a breaking state and sound for the three lamps available;
  • Added a leaping attack for the Imp, just like in the original mod;
  • Added the check for ammo on the Rifle and the Super Shotgun, so when you don't have enough ammo it skips the reload animation;
  • The Zombieman shoot in burst of three instead only shooting once;
  • This is cosmetical, but added the shotgun pumping animation for Sergeant. It uses the sprites from Brutal Doom for that;
  • Replaced the partial invisibility with a sort of "friendly" marine. Some people were suggesting about this feature. Finally it's here!

what spare states are you using to make time for a whole new enemy, a leaping attack, destructible decoration, and friendly marines.

Very cool, I'm a fan of this mod but it keeps bugging me that the BFG is still kept as the classic one

2 hours ago, maxmanium said:

Why is it called Al Dente

RubyAurora wanted to.

It makes sense, btw, Al Dente is a condition of a Boiled product.

1 hour ago, s4f3s3x said:

Very cool, I'm a fan of this mod but it keeps bugging me that the BFG is still kept as the classic one

I don't understand, the BFG is not the vanilla one. Describe your opinion, please.

1 hour ago, Dexiaz said:

RubyAurora wanted to.

It makes sense, btw, Al Dente is a condition of a Boiled product.

I don't understand, the BFG is not the vanilla one. Describe your opinion, please.

I mean the sprite is the same as the old one, except faster and with a different sound