Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbag

What is Your Job/Career?

My Job is currently a groundsman at a Arborist company. I've been working there since I was 17. I'm 22 now. Basically I have to do all the grunt work. My nickname is "The Bull" It's taken me time to earn that reputation. I'm greatly known for overworking myself, dragging brush. one arming 6ft logs. I never dull the chains on the saws. I can rig for the guys up in the bucket. I've had a fair share of using equipment. I've climbed, and I've been in the bucket a few times. But I don't have enough seniority yet to go up there. I'm not a greenhorn but im sure no expert. I'm continuing to learn.

I aspire to be like my older relatives. family has worked with wood for generations. Humans as a whole have worked with wood for generations. Working with tree's feels special to me sometimes because it almost takes you back to your roots. Your constantly touching wood. (no pun intended) like our ancestors have done for generations. Tree's give us life. It's a very interesting experience to say the least. Some days the labor can be a bit much, especially with the outdoor elements like heat and the cold. Eventually your body builds a tolerance and adapts. like it can to most things. It's hard work but the money is there if you have the determination. Its rewarding in many ways than one.

62612237_317555049174390_5534409937532223488_n.jpg.e33eb2e210bbe427132fbd24732d3cb7.jpg

Edited by Hypnotik

On 10/15/2021 at 5:00 AM, CBM said:

currently, I am unemployed... again.... after just one month as a cable guy

so back to searching for IT related jobs

What happened? Also how goes the hunt?

I assemble and test devices that detect gas leaks. Chill union job. Pays well enough, and I can take as many shit breaks as I want and no one says anything. Having IBS is a bitch.

5 hours ago, Chezza said:

What happened? Also how goes the hunt?

they took in too many people.

I am getting interviews here and there so hopefully something will turn up eventually, either in support, development or devops.

I'm a programmer for a big consulting company, working mostly on banks for the last 12 years or so. 

And I code in COBOL. Yes, it still exists.

I'm a social worker, but I  spend nearly 50% of my work week as a Sharepoint Administrator (in support of other social workers.....yep, it's a little weird). Plus: I also side hustle as a tour guide for an historical home in Texas(US).

On 8/16/2021 at 9:33 PM, Chip said:

I'm a professional student, 9 years running and still going strong. going into High School next week.

Some cool jobs others have! I'm almost jealous! 

Don't fret.......adulthood will come soon enough!!

I'm a roadie for a band. I drive a truck, set up a stage, and get to learn about light rigging and sound mixing. It's the best job I ever had - way better than owning a market research company.

The worst part of the job is trying to find a place to park a box truck in the middle of a city. That and tonight, we're playing a wedding on the 50th floor of a skyscraper. I'm spending the gig in the lobby because human beings were never meant to be that far from the ground.

On 11/6/2021 at 9:01 PM, Bucket said:

The worst part of the job is trying to find a place to park a box truck in the middle of a city.

I totally feel you there... as someone who is in too small of a band to hire staff, I have more than once found myself racing around for a spot when I really should have been setting up my rig. 

I am a laboratory analyst for a water company. Essentially I analyse water samples from across the region the company supplies to make sure that the water is safe for consumption. I don't know whether you could call it a career, but I have been here for the last two years at least.

2 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

secondary school teacher (11-18yr olds), religious studies

fun job but the hours are too long and the pay is nowhere near enough

My parents are both (science) teachers in the same age bracket and your last sentence pretty much sums up the job for them. Hell, I'm finishing my degree (IT) and I've gotten a few job offers where the one that pays the least will still allow me to earn more than them, which is simply ridiculous considering they have been working for 30+ years.

I have master's degree in mathematics (also studied small amounts of computer science and astronomy). Now, let me commit social suicide by telling I've worked, ever since my graduation in 2007, as an actuary. That means insurance mathematician. Last 8 years in life insurance business. What the heck, it pays the bills quite well. Besides, I get to do a little programming.

In my spare time I've been dreaming of becoming a writer (don't laugh, I express myself better in my native language which is not english!), but lately playing Doom has consumed too much of my time :P

Edited by RHhe82

After the bullshit of job searching for these past 3 years got my first official over the table job (which is to say like actually on paper being hired by the place and not keeping it off the books to pay me an illegally small amount). Make pizzas at some place across town. Minimum wage and not a lot of hours and very little opportunity to get a large amount of hours more so it wouldn't even pay rent if it was doubled and I lived alone and it never would, but it's something and I don't gotta do any of the job searching bs anymore. You would think with this apparent "labor shortage" this shit wouldn't have been an issue and I would not have multiple situations of trying to apply to a place saying they had a shortage only to be told they weren't hiring. Will be able to buy my nephew gifts with the money and pay stuff to the house. Other than that no plans with the money because I do not buy things.

Barista at a coffee kiosk in a supermarket.

Did the nightshift at an Amazon warehouse previously.

Current job doesn't pay as well, but the labor and hours are far more tolerable.

Random under the table stuff + classes before that.

*many shrugs*

Completely unemployed. Last employment I had was over a year ago where I worked as a roofer for a single day. Would've worked more, but time constraints shot me in the foot.

Unemployed but was just referred for an IT help desk position. I’m hopeful for a successful interview. I would be offered a full time position with all the benefits I need. It would be a good starting point at least compared to what I’ve been doing. 

Warehouse and loading operative in distribution currently. 
Not the best job in the world by I’m lucky to have it and it pays well. 

On 12/23/2021 at 5:48 PM, rehelekretep said:

secondary school teacher (11-18yr olds), religious studies

fun job but the hours are too long and the pay is nowhere near enough

I was in teaching for twenty years, until the age of 43. I eventually resigned, as otherwise I'd have ended up in a psychiatric ward, a cardiac unit, or even the mortuary. I haven't had a full-time job since.

On 12/23/2021 at 8:11 PM, Andromeda said:

My parents are both (science) teachers in the same age bracket and your last sentence pretty much sums up the job for them. Hell, I'm finishing my degree (IT) and I've gotten a few job offers where the one that pays the least will still allow me to earn more than them, which is simply ridiculous considering they have been working for 30+ years.

what subject if you dont mind me asking?

grocery clerk but omw to assmanager but planning better things I want an llc

Hi everyone --- I graduated with a PhD in Maths many years ago and then found myself looking after my parents. I now have no 'network' to speak of and wanting to get a job that uses my analytical thinking and mathematical skills but I'm not sure what kind of career to go for.

Anyone working in data analysis or programming/software --- I'd love to hear about your jobs, what you do day-to-day and how accessible you think it would be (particularly in the UK) to someone not-so-young. I'm more than happy to train to build my skills etc. but am scared of gambling on something that might not work out. 

Any thoughts? 

I work in Germany at a small workshop since June this year. This is my second job, the first one I was delivering newspapers in a small village. I'm glad to be working at this second job, and the pay is decent if you go the minimalist route like I do, and still manage to save up.

9 hours ago, grabien said:

I am economist but unemployed at the moment.

Checking Kroger and the list of their interview questions as they invited me to one next week.

Fingers crossed it will work out.

I hope you get the job.

I find it both hilariously but depressingly telling about our times when the economists are unemployed.

On 9/3/2022 at 12:50 PM, JamesUK said:

Hi everyone --- I graduated with a PhD in Maths many years ago and then found myself looking after my parents. I now have no 'network' to speak of and wanting to get a job that uses my analytical thinking and mathematical skills but I'm not sure what kind of career to go for.

Anyone working in data analysis or programming/software --- I'd love to hear about your jobs, what you do day-to-day and how accessible you think it would be (particularly in the UK) to someone not-so-young. I'm more than happy to train to build my skills etc. but am scared of gambling on something that might not work out. 

Any thoughts? 

In Finland, PhDs in Maths (I’m a MSc myself) have landed jobs in Insurance companies and banks - not merely as actuaries, but also jobs that involve modelling and product development (pricing, which can involve quite high-level applied maths).

I don’t know if this is a possibility in UK, and how inexperience affects the situation - and I guess some people could understandably find finance industry repulsive, but you asked for any thoughts :P (I work as an actuary in insurance business)