Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbag

What is Your Job/Career?

Formerly an uni assistant in the Humanities department of a very big Scottish university. Now? Personal shopper. I also owned and ran a bakery for a few years, and a b&b that was promptly gutted by COVID. Yeah.

I also side hustle as a ghost writer of steamy romance novels, the highest paying job I ever held.

On top of this I am the sole caretaker of one of my parents. Yes, it is a job and whoever says otherwise just has no idea.

Edited by Thelokk

Music teacher at a school.

Musician, guitarist/vocalist of my band Angelwhore.

Also I am a producer of hard techno music, been DJing for decades and have been on some wicked parties in my career, I also have my own record label, Total Destruction Records.

2 hours ago, Thelokk said:

On top of this I am the sole caretaker of one of my parents. Yes, it is a job and whoever says otherwise just has no idea.

I don't think many people are gonna dunk on you for that one. I am curious and impressed as to how you find time to do anything else outside of it, though, because it's an incredibly consuming role.

2 hours ago, Thelokk said:

I also side hustle as a ghost writer of steamy romance novels, the highest paying job I ever held.

I'm shocked and appalled - that that's your occupation and you haven't set your custom title to "Purveyor of Smut". That'd be like number one on my to-do list in that situation tbh.

1 minute ago, Daytime Waitress said:

I'm shocked and appalled - that that's your occupation and you haven't set your custom title to "Purveyor of Smut". That'd be like number one on my to-do list in that situation tbh.

Haven't done a whole lot of that lately, sadly. It's also far more mundane than it sounds (I'm basically told what to write, I just have to write it) and boring to chat about, as I'm contractually forbidden from even telling what publishing house I work for, let alone which books I have written.

Leadhand in a plastics factory. Not what I imagined when I left school, but not too bad, even traveled to several countries with them, transferred from UK to Canada 7yrs or so ago. Anyway what would the world do without fake plastic wood!

On 9/5/2022 at 5:15 AM, Thelokk said:

Haven't done a whole lot of that lately, sadly. It's also far more mundane than it sounds (I'm basically told what to write, I just have to write it) and boring to chat about, as I'm contractually forbidden from even telling what publishing house I work for, let alone which books I have written

I think it's kinda awful that you work in a creative career like that but don't get any credit for it and can't even tell someone "hey I wrote that" if you catch them reading one of your books. I get why some people use pen names but didn't realize they could force you. Still if it pays the bills ....

On 9/5/2022 at 11:15 AM, Thelokk said:

Haven't done a whole lot of that lately, sadly. It's also far more mundane than it sounds (I'm basically told what to write, I just have to write it) and boring to chat about, as I'm contractually forbidden from even telling what publishing house I work for, let alone which books I have written.

Wot?

Are you a ghost writer?

Or maybe you wrote the Doom novels.

I'm a cleaner at my town's hospital. It's been... 'interesting' with the past few years

On 10/15/2021 at 6:11 PM, joepallai said:

I make and design cymbals at Zildjian; sort of stumbled into working here 27 years ago (lost all 3 jobs I had during the same week while going to an intermission college course on history, the guy sitting next to me told me to go to a temp agency and tell them he sent me--been lathing/making cymbals ever since).  Can't say it's been easy but I love what I do.

My brother is a drummer and was curious about the process of cymbal making at Zildjian. He was thinking you all didn't hand make them anymore.

The finish lathing is still done by hand and some of the same machines from 60+ years ago are still in use, but he is partially right there have been changes in the design process since the company moved to the US nearly 100 years ago.   Let me discuss with my manager to see how far I can go in answering your brother's questions directly and I'll pm you once I have his response.

I just stock shelves for a retail chain. It's pretty boring, but considering I was previously on disability for 3 years it's a big step up for me. It's honestly amazing just feeling like I'm contributing and having more independence.

I work at a small travel agent company as a web programmer and designer. A functional website might be necessary for the company as it enables our consumers to book a flight or a tour package through it.

But I must admit, the process of building the website has been quite slow because the qualifications that I have were mostly attained by learning programming from free resources on the Internet. I do not have a degree in computer science or something like that.

To compensate for this, I also make digital posters showing our recent tour packages using editing apps like Canva, then post them on our social media accounts, and do some other small tasks.

Honestly, I do not like this job, but I am just trying to save for college, so I try not to complain too much.

I have a bachelor degree in philosophy. On my last year of college I got into network administration to save some money for my masters. Time went by and i have been working on this for around 10 years, and never managed to get into the master program due to my schedules. Right now I work as a network administrator for an american company. It is very chill most of the times, with some occasional crazy weeks every now and then. I am the only person with that role is the country, so very rarely need to go to the office which lets me spend times on some other hobbies.

I dont like my job very much and i am currently studying library science. I will finish the bachelor degree next year, and will try probably try to get a job in that area. I need to work at least for 30 more years before retiring and cannot imagine myself working on IT for that long.

Edited by Garlichead