Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperCupcakeTactics

DBP37: AUGER;ZENITH - THE Cyberpunk MEGAWAD!

@P41R47 Personally I can't think of any other maps that could fit in it! I did everything I wanted to and it's perfect to me, but of course other people may have more ideas! I've gotten several comments about how people want to see more maps and map with these resources so I'm willing to just release the resource pack but remove/replace some of the MIDIs that got used with new ones. I've also uploaded my custom sprite work to this thread. 

The sole reason I moved from ZMAPINFO to just MAPINFO is so the switch in the credits map that brings you back to MAP01 works in Crispy Doom (my favorite port). I don't think it worked with ZMAPINFO before but I do recall UMAPINFO working with Crispy Doom so I'm open to that if it works much better and across even more ports. 

Its done!
Sorry if it took me a little long, i went to lunch and then playtested it.

For unknown reasons to me, if i use the name of the floor patch selected on the dehacked and MAPINFO on the UMAPINFO, it crash with signal11 :/
It should work, as supposelly, UMAPINFO let you define whatever floor patch you want or even other textures, but seems to not work as intended...yet!

I fix it by entering a blanck space, going for the default, in this case the dehacked.

And the text from map22 to map01, for strange reasons, doesn't show up.
I inserted secret maps and text on every slot on UMAPINFO for other projects, but for some reason, when coming back to map01 from a secret exit, it doesn0t show up.

Since it is kinda bugged, use at your own discretion.

Auger;ZenithUMAP.rar

Just now, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

Thank you. I can't guarantee it'll be used but I'll take a look at it at least. But for now I'll also have lunch and watch cyberpunk anime.

i reported the bug on PrBoom+2.6Um thread.
If there is a way to fix it, i will let you know ;)

7 hours ago, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

New MAP22 and a text file.

I assume MAP22 is still a "Thanks for Playing" map, but I'll still check it out.  DBP end maps are sometimes really neat and worth exploring :)

Edited by VanaheimRanger

7 hours ago, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

Thank you. I can't guarantee it'll be used but I'll take a look at it at least. But for now I'll also have lunch and watch cyberpunk anime.

I hope you've watched or will watch some Cyber City OEDO 808 (UK edition). Easily one of the best Cyberpunk animes besides Ghost in the Shell... IMHO...

Thanks for this amazing WAD!

@tengv In fact I have seen Cyber City OEDO 808! I should watch it again later sometime. The "KILL YOU KILL YOU KILL YOU" messages on the computer screens in MAP05 and MAP21 are actually my little nod/reference to it :)

You're welcome and I'm happy this WAD is so well received! Everyone did a fantastic job and it was truly a pleasure working on this with everyone.

finished this a few nights ago.  definitely one of the more fun cl2 wads i've played!  good midis, interesting texture choices, and of course i'm a sucker for anime splayed about.

23 hours ago, P41R47 said:

If there is a way to fix it, i will let you know ;)

Auger;ZenithUMAPv2.rar

FIXED! :D

But, are you sure UMAPINFO is supported on crispy?

I think just deh and bex are supported :/
Anyway, it will work for every port that supports it :D

@P41R47 Thank you but I've decided I won't use UMAPINFO. I recall playing a project that had a UMAPINFO in Crispy having differing skies for each level (and a compilation of the first 6 DBPs) but now I'm not so sure. All these different MAPINFOs are becoming a mess to me and it's not worth the trouble trying to fix what isn't broken. If there's a problem for any other port then someone else can just create a patch to fix it.

I have finally finished it. I can confirm what I said earlier in this thread: this is indeed the best DBP so far. In fact, this has instantly become one of my favorite WADs period. I can not praise the level design, textures, music choices, and atmosphere enough. I mentioned how much I liked these city levels before, and I honestly think they might be my favorite city levels ever. At the very least, Map 17 is my favorite here, as I loved the design of it so much. It felt like a real life outdoor market area to me, it was awesome. I also have to give a shoutout to the absolutely genius secret area in Map 20. At first I thought it was just going to be a nice easter egg, but then it changed in a way that became one of the funnier things I've seen in a WAD. It was a highly amusing twist. I also loved the music pick for Map 16, as it proved I can have PTSD for a Sunlust map even though I've never actually played Sunlust yet. It surprisingly made me tense since I'm so used to hearing that in that context and I know how hard that level is. Thankfully, nothing in this entire WAD got to that difficulty, but I did love how the ending of that map did seem to be a homage to Sunlust's Map 29. The only map I didn't really like to play was Map 12, but I don't think it's supposed to be a fun map, but more of a journey. And what a journey that one was. I seriously could write a 21-page thesis on what I liked about each level since there's just so much I want to talk about, but I don't think that would be necessary. The WAD speaks for itself. Thank you guys for such an amazing experience! 

I FREAKIN LOVED THIS WAD! I haven't really been playing any DBPs other than the first but I can definitely say with this kind of quality, it's all worth it. All the colors, the all killer no filler gameplay, every place connects well and there is ZERO CHANCE of getting lost! All the DoomCute stuff even gets integrated super well.

This is godlike tier. Really, really cool. Please make this all the way up to /idgames - Definitively worth a Cacoward mention.*

*I swear this year is breaking the bank for quality Doom stuff. Unique, so many amazing works have come out and are coming out this year.

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

*I swear this year is breaking the bank for quality Doom stuff. Unique, so many amazing works have come out and are coming out this year.

It's insane. You could have the Cacowards right now and easily get the 10 main entries, and there would still be honorable mentions that people would say should have been in the main 10. And we are only half way through the year. The quality of WADs has only grown; the Doom community keeps getting new people who come out with insanely awesome projects, and the old guard have honed in their craft and are making the best stuff they've ever made. I mean, there's been so much high quality Doom coming out this year, I haven't touched another game other than Rock Band 4. Haven't had time; have to catch up on Doom WADs! 

I just completed it.

Guys you seriously outmatched yourselves.

THIS IS AMAZING!!!

Far beyond the scope of the regular DBP and far more deep and atmospheric thanks to all those amazing realistic maps with the completely gorgeous texture set.

This is a total win for me.

Congratulation @SuperCupcakeTactics and all the team.

On 7/16/2021 at 3:38 PM, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

@P41R47 Thank you but I've decided I won't use UMAPINFO. I recall playing a project that had a UMAPINFO in Crispy having differing skies for each level (and a compilation of the first 6 DBPs) but now I'm not so sure. All these different MAPINFOs are becoming a mess to me and it's not worth the trouble trying to fix what isn't broken. If there's a problem for any other port then someone else can just create a patch to fix it.

Ahh don't worry, its alright :)

If anybody need the patch, the one i made will work just fine, so its there for whoever may want it.
;)

Thank you all for the kind words! I really appreciate it all.

@P41R47 Your UMAPINFO might make it in after all! I just tried putting it in again and edited it have the same backgrounds for the intertext as in the MAPINFO. I had to swear up a storm and come to terms with the fact that Crispy Doom does NOT support MAPINFO at all which made me very sad but maybe some day it will. Both Boom and dsda-doom don't want to play the music in the credits map for some reason, I guess that MIDI is just funky.

Anyway I may as well share the resource pack now with everyone for funsies:

>>>AUGZENITH_RSW3.0<<< Credits for all original assets go to @40oz @PrincessProzac and myself.

Removed all the MIDIs that got used and put in a few new ones I had laying around. Check out Psyrus' MIDIs too. Includes the little test map in the MAP02 slot.

Credits to ShinkoNetCavy for the MIDI in slot 3 and ヌルぽ for the MIDI in slot 4.

Edited by SuperCupcakeTactics

59 minutes ago, dmslr said:

@Clippy I think you should try this wad 

I'm just a one man show already with some toes dipped in other megawads. My plate is full atm

I hope others have the time to make vids for this 😉

10 minutes ago, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

Both Boom and dsda-doom don't want to play the music in the credits map for some reason, I guess that MIDI is just funky.

oh, i thought that the no music was intended. :0

Strange, i will check that midi, or ask some midi connoiseour about it. :P

10 minutes ago, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

I had to swear up a storm and come to terms with the fact that Crispy Doom does does NOT support MAPINFO at all which made me very sad but maybe some day it will.

For what you previously said about another DBP project having different skies, i think that is possible on Crispy as Fabian added the sky tranfer feature from Boom/MBF to it, maybe that got you confused, it got confused when i learn that Boom/MBF has it hahaha.
Probably Crispy will support UMAPINFO soon. There is no harm on supporting it, and there are plenty of projects that surelly will benefit from it. :D

EDIT: This could be added to the resource pack, its a neat midi that you will surelly love ;)

Kavinsky-Nightcall.rar

21 minutes ago, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

Oh yes! Thank you I've just put it in with a ninja update.

Glad you like it :D

I checked the midi, and yes, its weird that it work on Crispy and Woof! but not on the other source-ports :/
At first, i thought it could be for the number of channels use on the midi, usually around 10, and this one having like 20.

But Crispy and Woof reproduce it with the same settings as PrBoom+ and DSDA-Doom, so i don't know what may be causing it.

Maybe @JadingTsunami may have a clue?

Iam in 17 level !! Very good cyberpunk atmospheric level detail is on maximum !!!!! this project totally drew me into a beautiful world !!! 

2 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Glad you like it :D

I checked the midi, and yes, its weird that it work on Crispy and Woof! but not on the other source-ports :/
At first, i thought it could be for the number of channels use on the midi, usually around 10, and this one having like 20.

But Crispy and Woof reproduce it with the same settings as PrBoom+ and DSDA-Doom, so i don't know what may be causing it.

Maybe @JadingTsunami may have a clue?

It does appear the MIDI is malformed/corrupted. I will try to repair it, unless someone knows of the source and can find a different version of it.

EDIT: I have done my best to repair it and it does play now. Sent along.

Edited by JadingTsunami

32 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

So how much of Map 05 was done by Redeadita and how much was done by our humble project lead?

I did most of the map. The apartment rooms, skating halfpipe, the beginnings of the grassy mini-park area, the beginnings of the final arena, and the antennae background detail are Redeadita's work. He had ideas for where to put a monster closet, and where a few graphics should be. He and I also provided a few pre-fabs that were ready to be used as background detail for the first week and a half of the project (he made background city buildings, and I made tables and chairs).

5 minutes ago, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

I did most of the map. The apartment rooms, skating halfpipe, the beginnings of the grassy mini-park area, the beginnings of the final arena, and the antennae background detail are Redeadita's work. He had ideas for where to put a monster closet, and where a few graphics should be. He and I also provided a few pre-fabs that were ready to be used as background detail for the first week and a half of the project (he made background city buildings, and I made tables and chairs).

Oh nice! Yeah, the location of the trap I think you mean kind of seemed like stuff I'd seen in DBP35.

13 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Oh nice! Yeah, the location of the trap I think you mean kind of seemed like stuff I'd seen in DBP35.

i had plans to contribute with the project on a proper map myself, but for some reason my maps weren't really working out as much to fit the gameplay in it(they were too short or on low quality to say the least), getting the mood of the cyberpunk on the background was easy though, so on Cuppy's request i made the mapping prefabs of those backgrounds that you see in some maps, specifically on the first map and credits map (Former is near the end, latters uses the in construction building only in some areas still on the background.)

Spoiler

Here is the background from my first map

image.png.76e90306623ca7faa514a7519696749e.png

image.png.7bc1c9cf6a7f79fde5a2973d7b36c8fe.png

and this is the one from my second map which are used on map09.

image.png.9be6e9fd3a85c054bf328478656cacd5.png

Edited by Redead-ITA : i was wrong in some cases and fixed it.

This was absolutely amazing. Aside from having to cheat the very final encounter due to it being too-demanding for my RSI-injured hands, I enjoyed every bit of it. I really love the super-atmospheric and immersive DBPs like this and City of Damned Children, and crave more. MORE, I TELL YOU.

As great as the wad is (and it is!), I missed some custom futuristic looking enemies, even if there were only 'skins', that would be appropriate to the setting. It's a pity to have levels with so much coherence and atmosphere in them and then fight pinkies, imps and barons as always.