Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astronomy_Domine

Any mods that are similar to Heretic?

I really love the atmosphere and style of Heretic. I've tried playing through Hexen a trillion times, but the gate hubs and endless switch puzzles that are part of larger switch puzzles are just brutal for me and I can ever get very far. I'm wondering if there's anything for Doom or even the Heretic / Hexen games that has a dark fantasy or medieval look and is similar to Heretic. Guns are fine even if such a thing exists. I haven't really come across anything and I've looked pretty hard, so I'm guessing there probably isn't a lot like this. 

In terms of tone, the closest things I can think of are High Noon Drifter and GMoTA. Both are a bit of a stretch (re: similarity to Raven IWADs), but are worth checking out.

Relatively few gameplay mods would change enough beyond the weapons to make Doom maps feel like they're in a fantasy setting, so you're more likely to get close to the feeling of Heretic or Hexen by playing fantasy Doom-engine games. Try Hell-Forged, Hedon, or Rekkr if you haven't. Also, there are plenty of great Heretic maps/mapsets, and a few for Hexen.

1 hour ago, Not Jabba said:

In terms of tone, the closest things I can think of are High Noon Drifter and GMoTA. Both are a bit of a stretch (re: similarity to Raven IWADs), but are worth checking out.

Relatively few gameplay mods would change enough beyond the weapons to make Doom maps feel like they're in a fantasy setting, so you're more likely to get close to the feeling of Heretic or Hexen by playing fantasy Doom-engine games. Try Hell-Forged, Hedon, or Rekkr if you haven't. Also, there are plenty of great Heretic maps/mapsets, and a few for Hexen.

Woah, thanks! This is great! I can't play Hedon because I'm on Mac and Rekkr I've beat a few times because it's absolutely outstanding. Those Heretic maps are such a good suggestion and Hell-Forged looks great!

GZDoom has Mac builds.

Also you can get a free beta/demo version of Hedon from moddb or itch.io.

REKKR

DUNGEONS AND DEMONS

MASKIM XUL

MAYHEM 2048 - MAP21

MORBID AUTUMN

Enjoy

PS. GZDoom spoils the fun of dooming

7 hours ago, Astronomy_Domine said:

I'm wondering if there's anything for Doom or even the Heretic / Hexen games that has a dark fantasy or medieval look and is similar to Heretic. 

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Gez said:

GZDoom has Mac builds.

Also you can get a free beta/demo version of Hedon from moddb or itch.io.

I use GZDoom but I could only find the standalone version of Hedon that's an exe. so I probably just didn't look hard enough. Thanks!

Also Abysm 2's story is standalone and mostly separate from Abysm 1, so you can definitely start with Abysm 2 immediately.

15 hours ago, Astronomy_Domine said:

I use GZDoom but I could only find the standalone version of Hedon that's an exe. so I probably just didn't look hard enough. Thanks!

hedon.ipk3 should load just fine in your copy of GZDoom. The Hedon exe is pretty much just a renamed GZDoom.exe with the icon changed IIRC.

On 7/4/2021 at 8:58 AM, Astronomy_Domine said:

I really love the atmosphere and style of Heretic. I've tried playing through Hexen a trillion times, but the gate hubs and endless switch puzzles that are part of larger switch puzzles are just brutal for me and I can ever get very far. I'm wondering if there's anything for Doom or even the Heretic / Hexen games that has a dark fantasy or medieval look and is similar to Heretic. Guns are fine even if such a thing exists. I haven't really come across anything and I've looked pretty hard, so I'm guessing there probably isn't a lot like this. 

Ive got a couple of them. 

This one is Heretic Heroes for Doom and Heretic  https://www.moddb.com/mods/heretic-heroes-nes-heroes-and-hexes/downloads/heretic-heroes-for-doom-and-hereticrebalanced

This one requires both Castlevania Simons Destiny and Doom 2 to be loaded at the same time: Simon's Quest in Castlevania 3 for CVSD. https://www.moddb.com/mods/castlevania-3-for-simons-destiny-addon/downloads/simons-quest-in-cv3-for-cvsd

They may look and play similar cuz they all evolved from the same material, aka forks off of LTTD: Link to the Doom but play vastly different from each other.

Heres LTTD for Doom https://www.moddb.com/mods/lttd-link-to-the-doom/downloads/link-to-the-doom-v36

and here is LTTD for Heretic ; https://www.moddb.com/mods/lttd-link-to-the-doom/downloads/link-to-the-doom-v36-for-heretic

I'd personally just try Heretic Heroes  because it's the most advanced one. Mind you  all of these except for Simons Quest in CV3 are weapons and monster mods. Simon's Quest in CV3 is a total conversion.

Ok, you asked if there's anything like Heretic, but you only really complained about stuff from Hexen in your post. Have you played Heretic? It's nothing like Hexen, it's basically Doom with items and fantasy weapons, whereas Hexen has hubs and switch puzzles. 

Now, if you like Hub structure but don't want something as obtuse and complex as Hexen, try Faithless, which is a Heretic mod that takes the good elements of Hexen but leaves out the bullshit. Wayfarer is also fantastic as it cuts down the sponginess of enemies and makes Heretic more palatable to those who just wanna run and gun. It also comes as a standalone mod so you can play through vanilla Heretic with the changes it makes.

If you just want a medieval fantasy setting in Doom, the first episode Scythe 2 and Eviternity have you covered. Attack on IO came out this year and has some gorgeous medieval maps, as does Legacy of Heroes that came out in 2017. 

Finally, there's Rekkr, which is like an in between of Heretic and Doom. 

On 7/5/2021 at 12:45 PM, TheMightyHeracross said:

hedon.ipk3 should load just fine in your copy of GZDoom. The Hedon exe is pretty much just a renamed GZDoom.exe with the icon changed IIRC.

Thanks, I figured that it SHOULD work, but didn't really go hunting for it. You can't open exe. files on a Mac, but there's usually ways around that. 

On 7/6/2021 at 1:36 AM, whybmonotacrab said:

Ok, you asked if there's anything like Heretic, but you only really complained about stuff from Hexen in your post. Have you played Heretic? It's nothing like Hexen, it's basically Doom with items and fantasy weapons, whereas Hexen has hubs and switch puzzles. 

Now, if you like Hub structure but don't want something as obtuse and complex as Hexen, try Faithless, which is a Heretic mod that takes the good elements of Hexen but leaves out the bullshit. Wayfarer is also fantastic as it cuts down the sponginess of enemies and makes Heretic more palatable to those who just wanna run and gun. It also comes as a standalone mod so you can play through vanilla Heretic with the changes it makes.

If you just want a medieval fantasy setting in Doom, the first episode Scythe 2 and Eviternity have you covered. Attack on IO came out this year and has some gorgeous medieval maps, as does Legacy of Heroes that came out in 2017. 

Finally, there's Rekkr, which is like an in between of Heretic and Doom. 

I've played Rekkr and it's amazing. It's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, if I hadn't already played through it multiple times. I'd love to pay the authors for that one. I've also played Eviternity that's incredible as well. I haven't played any of the other ones, thanks so much for the suggestions! That's extremely helpful. Faithless sounds great. I agree that Hexen is nothing like Heretic. I only compare them because I'm looking for a sequel or something similar to Heretic, but Hexen by the same publisher and with the same lore is too much bullshit for me. I've played through heretic maybe a dozen times though. 

On 7/5/2021 at 9:21 AM, Vorpal said:

oh my stars, how is nobody mentioning Abysm? Well more specifically Abysm 2 (I have not played the first), and then @jazzmaster9 has an addon for it in testing

I've just tried this and it is more of what I was looking for than what I was looking for even.