Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thrustpeak

Clicking sound Prboom+

As the title states I am experiencing a clicking sound whenever things like elevators raise/lower or doors open. It's negligible unless a map happens to include some kind of crusher, and then the clicking sound is constantly accompanying it. It happens with DSDA as well, but no other source ports. I've got no idea what is causing it, but was hoping someone smarter than me may have an idea. I'd be happy to find out it's something obvious and i'm just an idiot.

I have the exact same issue and have no idea what is causing this. It happens to me on crispy, chocolate, prboom+, etc, but not on gzdoom. I have been looking for solutions for a long time now but have came up empty handed. I think that I have gone insane.

On dsda-doom/prboom-plus-um I solved the problem by setting slice_samplecount to 728 instead of the default 512, also 356 works for me

for crispy/choco-doom, I guess you should play with the snd_maxslicetime_ms option in the crispy-doom.cfg file. however I got no problems with crispy.

I tried setting the slice_samplecount to 728 (and other values) and it removed the clicking from some sounds such as elevators and the use key. However some sounds still made clicking noises, such as item pickups. Setting slice_samplecount to different values has either made it worse, or made no noticeable difference. 

Setting the samplerate to 11025 (sample_slice set to default) seems to replace the clicking with a high-pitched wind chime like noise that gets more obnoxious the more sounds there are playing. 

7 hours ago, gorillaExpress said:

Setting the samplerate to 11025 (sample_slice set to default) seems to replace the clicking with a high-pitched wind chime like noise that gets more obnoxious the more sounds there are playing. 

Interesting. Give these settings a try. You can also try adjusting the samplecount if you don't get good results.

samplerate                        44100
slice_samplecount                 4096

On 1/14/2022 at 4:35 AM, Ramon_Demestre said:

On dsda-doom/prboom-plus-um I solved the problem by setting slice_samplecount to 728 instead of the default 512, also 356 works for me

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I've had clipping on use spam + elevators ever since I swapped to PrBoom+ and eventually DSDA-Doom, setting to 728 finally fixed it for me.

slice_samplecount corresponds to the size of a 'slice' of the audio buffer defined as slice_samplecount * samplerate / 11025, hence in the units of the "base" samplerate 11025.

If you use a large value it mean you will have a delay between the action and the audio, for example, the default 512 corresponds to a 46ms delay (not much) however setting 4096 would mean 371ms which is starting to be quite noticeable audio-video delay, and I would recommend trying to keep the value under 1024. I made the patch to adjust this slice_samplecount for this very reason, so that I could get the shortest audio-video delay. The patch was very simple and it was accepted in Prboom-plus-um then merged in dsda-doom. Chocolate-doom always had the option (from what I recall) and it is set directly in ms.

It seems on my hardware that lowering the samplerate also reduce the clicking effect, I am not sure exactly why.

Unfortunately I have to tack-on something to my last post and say that rather than clipping on use and elevators, 728 has ended up making it clip on plasma rifle audio for my hardware.... sucks, man.

I tried setting samplerate to 44100 and slice_samplecount to 4096 (just to c what would happen). Audio delay was high as expected, there was still clicking to be heard when picking up items. I don't think any amount of messing with samplerate and slice_samplecount will result in perfect results (yeah, elevators might stop clicking but something else will). It makes me wonder how widespread this is and if people just never dealt with it, noticed it, or cared. 

4 hours ago, gorillaExpress said:

I tried setting samplerate to 44100 and slice_samplecount to 4096 (just to c what would happen). Audio delay was high as expected, there was still clicking to be heard when picking up items. I don't think any amount of messing with samplerate and slice_samplecount will result in perfect results (yeah, elevators might stop clicking but something else will). It makes me wonder how widespread this is and if people just never dealt with it, noticed it, or cared. 

This is useful information as some other projects (non-Doom-related) have found that using 44100 got rid of audio distortions when using SDL.

It seems like some garbage data is appended to the audio buffer and rendered. There are some known bugs in SDL related to this but I don't know if they're the cause.

I think it is worth filing a bug at the Github issue tracker on this because it has multiple reports in this thread alone and is reproducible. The video is very helpful so please include a link to it as well.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:28 PM, Commander Boreale said:

I have those horrible clicks in every source port exept zdoom based ones, thanks to openal probably. 

Also, using hq sounds like this helps alot. 

Strange, would it mean that the clicking comes from resampling?

I'm glad this is being mentioned. I've always had issues with weird sound clipping in PrBoom+ and DSDA Doom i.e. when raising/lowering walls. Hopefully this can be fixed in a future update.