Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Updating source port family tree on Doomwiki

In addition to those you listed, it could also use the Crispy Doom derivatives, Marshmallow Doom and Russian Doom.

Besides what you and Shepardus have listed, DK, I can't really think of any. I remember GooberMan's Rum & Raisin Doom from late last year, though it's still very much in its infancy development-wise and doesn't appear to have a working build yet. Does that count? :^P

fun fact: i don't know the origins of Vavoom. it contains some MBF code by LK, but i don't know if Vavoom was froked from MBF, or if Janis simply backported some MBF enhancements. DoomWiki says that the base is LinuxDoom, but the source code contains alot of changes specific to Boom/MBF. i think we can put Vavoom under MBF umbrella.

later Janis took some ZDoom ACS VM code, but it was heavily modified (and was taken to be able to run ZDoom extended ACS lumps). this is (afaik) the only ZDoom part in there, so i don't think that Vavoom should be connected to ZDoom cloud (so people won't think that it is Yet Another ZDoom Fork ;-).

k8vavoom is a direct descendant of Vavoom, and doesn't use GZDoom code too (except some small snippets, one-five lines, to improve compatibility).

26 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Port_family_tree_simplified.png

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Timeline_of_source_port_releases

This chart is extremely useful, but as it was made about 3 years ago, naturally it is a bit out of date.

The main ports I can see are missing: LZDoom, Vavoom/K8Vavoom, PrBoom+um, DSDA-Doom, and Woof!

What others need to be added?

It depends on how far you want to go with signifiance. There are a few that bear no relation to these ports, such as Altair. Others, like RUDE and the various drfrag ZDoom forks may well also be included. Q-Zandronum might also be a candidate, being an active derivative of Zandronum.

If anyone still cares about it, Mocha Doom was derived straight from Linux Doom -with a few Boom-isms, Hexen-isms and Chocolate Doom-isms thrown in.

You forgot the Russian Doom (sic!) port, which was mentioned in last Civvie11 video. BTW, I've tested it yesterday, not a bad port at all. The bug which Civvie mentioned in video, is also fixed now.

PCDoom-V2 (Current DOS ports are based on this port, replaces DMX with Apogee Sound System)

Russian Doom

DSDA-Doom

LZDoom

RUDE

ZDoom Classic

Console ports? I think they are also important, as are derivatives of the original Vanilla Doom (except the SNES version)

FastDoom 😇

Skulltag was also born of csDoom, at least in the pre-GZ versions. It functions as though a lot of that same code followed it into the ZDoom 2.X based versions.

Bro you forgot the most important and most feature heavy port ever made yet still vanilla compatible

kbdoom.png.0e41f51ea0b5b1d9947958251708a0e4.png

I may create an enhanced tree using my very little knowledge on source ports. I may even add the console ports as well

somehow, i have a feeling that we're talking about some puzzle wad community project...

9 minutes ago, Wavy said:

I may even add the console ports as well

Do you mean the SNES, GBA, PSX, Atari Jaguar and the other console ports?

Just now, Teo Slayer said:

Do you mean the SNES, GBA, PSX, Atari Jaguar and the other console ports?

Yeah. That'd mean adding Calico Doom and PsyDoom as well

11 minutes ago, Wavy said:

I may create an enhanced tree using my very little knowledge on source ports. I may even add the console ports as well

i think if you are going to do that you should create a separate tree only for the console ports

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Port_family_tree_simplified.png

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Timeline_of_source_port_releases

This chart is extremely useful, but as it was made about 3 years ago, naturally it is a bit out of date.

The main ports I can see are missing: LZDoom, Vavoom/K8Vavoom, PrBoom+um, DSDA-Doom, and Woof!

What others need to be added?

shouldnt heretic and hexen be there as well? i think they have significant improvements over the doom engine to say they are a different one

1 hour ago, Decay said:

Bro you forgot the most important and most feature heavy port ever made yet still vanilla compatible

kbdoom.png.0e41f51ea0b5b1d9947958251708a0e4.png

I hate the fact that it actually exists, and that practically nothing but conjecture is known of it.

Ill also add Legacy 2 and Thrust to the mix.

2 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

You forgot the Russian Doom (sic!) port, which was mentioned in last Civvie11 video.

Goddammit Civvie!!! Hexen is awesome :(

1 hour ago, omalefico32x said:

i think if you are going to do that you should create a separate tree only for the console ports

Not a bad idea

5 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

[citation needed]

Crap, it was not dew, but fonze who tested it.

KB1 released a screenshot here: 

kbdoom.jpg