Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmie

ZDoomGL 0.72

Ok, so I lied about no new version this weekend ;)

ZDoomGL 0.72 is up on the download site now: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=63545

Fixes/changes in this version:

- updated to ZDoom 2.0.34
- Heretic crosshair correct color
- savegames work again
- vid_fps crash fixed (hopefully)
- ability to purge/reload all the textures in game (in the OpenGL menu, or type "gl_purge_textures" in the console) in case any get corrupted
- deathmatch and coop intermission screens don't crash anymore (but are still missing graphics)
- fixed a bug in the nodebuilder so it won't crash on P:AR map e1m4 (although map e1m6 still looks mighty funky)
- readme.txt has slightly more info in it...

How is it compared to 0.71 (or 0.7)? Personally, I didn't notice any difference... I did change the BSP traversal, so that might have something to do with it.

How does it run with textures disabled (gl_texture 0)? If it's nice and snappy like that, then it's texture upload speeds, which is a problem I intend to sort out in a future release.

I was actually talking about 0.71. :P
It even runs slow just in the menu, though. All I know is that the old ZGL ran quite well, even on this machine (fairly low-end).

Ah, that's most probably the fonts. They degraded performance significantly on my old p2 350mhz machine. No problem with this Athlon 2000+ though :P

It's because it loads the font texture each time it draws a single character (due to colour translations). IIRC Timmie has tried but failed to solve this problem so far, but hopefully he can do something about it eventually ;)

Yeah, the fonts changed quite a bit between ZDoom 1.22 and 1.23/2.0, so the old method of drawing them wouldn't work. I'm still looking into it, though (I'm not happy with it, either).

Two things:

1. (this does only apply to 0.72, it did not happen in 0.71) In my latest speedmap (map06) and Imp is standing in front of the switch. He's invisible from certain angles, including the player's start position. He was normally visible in 0.71. Maybe some nodes problem?

2. ZDoomGL slows down extremely when it has to draw a lot of sprites or two sided lines. For the first have a look at my latest speedmap (link above), it got quite some sprites to show at the same time ;) for the second have a look at Torment And Torture 2 (sorry, got no link right now). It got some big room with a couple long fake 3d bridges. Would be nice to see that fixed, if that's possible.

Hi there,

Nice improvements in 0.72, but I'd go with Tarins comments about 2s lines and slowdowns. An absolute crawl on some of the P:AR maps.

Other things (which you probably know):

Sprites still have lines around them, usually black but some heretic graphics I imported into doom had horrible light colours around the edges. Another place this was very obvious was with a replacement weapon I have that has a large "colourless" area at the top. A black line appears across the screen where the top of the sprite is.

Textures also still have the black line along the top. Especially obvious on a white wall texture that I have.

The palette index 255 colour (R167, G107, B107 I think) is still being drawn transparent.

I have some 2s lines with textures on them that are being Y aligned incorrectly. One of these also goes across a slope. In Zdoom, the texture is horizontal, but ZdoomGL aligns it to the slope, thus breaking the effect (in this case, the barrel of a tank, sitting above the sloped body of the tank).

Normally I seem to get the game to run fine, but if I try and change screen resolution from 800x600 to 640x480 using the menu, as soon as I try and hit enter on the required resolution, I get a crash. Haven't tried other resolutions, but this has happened 3 times.

ZDOOMGL caused an invalid page fault in
module ZDOOMGL.EXE at 017f:0048ba60.
Registers:
EAX=00000001 CS=017f EIP=0048ba60 EFLGS=00010246
EBX=00aafac8 SS=0187 ESP=00aafa58 EBP=00aafa94
ECX=00000000 DS=0187 ESI=00000008 FS=52df
EDX=0055fa00 ES=0187 EDI=00aafa7c GS=484f
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 01 51 ff 50 20 b9 01 00 00 00 e9 90 03 00 00
Stack dump:
0048aba7 0048ad11 00aafa7c 00008aec 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 bff7363b 00000cb0 00000008 00000000 00000000 8ac62617 00000187 00aafaa8

I can provide screen shots if need be.

*sigh* It just dawned on me what's wrong with the transparency on some of those sprites. I don't have to special case any index as transparent when loading patches because the column system does that for me.

Methinks my lack of experience with editing Doom is showing right now :) Well, that should make it into 0.73...

Yeah, the midtexture part of the wall renderer needs a complete overhaul. It's a big mess in there right now. During that rewrite, I'll hopefully get the speed up a bit and fix the texture alignment problems.

It looks like most of the slowdown with the sprites is raw texture upload speed. Try disabling textures when there's slowdown from sprites... I'll try to optimize the texturelist a bit to avoid redundant texture binds.