Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Will we be able to record gameplay videos?

I was wondering if this would be possible or not. For example to record your fight with a cyberdemon or a fight with a Spider mastermind, I think it would be cool IMO.

In the leaked Doom Alpha, you can record a demo and then play it back using the Avidemo command. This drops a boatload of .tga files in your \demos directory, which are individual frames of the demo. You can then join them together into an avi if you wish.

This was in Quake 3 as well, so I suppose they intend to keep it into Doom. It doesn't work 100% correctly though, in that the rate of exporting is dependant on the framerate. So if Doom runs unstable on your PC (as it does on mine), the video is going to be very low fps and very jumpy.

id should work on making this a little more useable and user-friendly, like the ability to export straight to .avi as with Soldier of Fortune. This would be very handy to all the Machinima people who are planning to make movies using the Doom III engine.

and you can just send the demo file to a friend and he can load it by typing in playdemo nameofdemo

HAMMER-STROKE said:

and you can just send the demo file to a friend and he can load it by typing in playdemo nameofdemo

Yes, infinitely easier.

Ha. People in the THPS community have been making videos of runs for ages... we usually cap to a VCR through TV-out, then capture to digital again using a capture device or TV tuner, cos that gives the least drop in performance.

This would be very handy to all the Machinima people who are planning to make movies using the Doom III engine.

*dsm drools at the thought of a well-produced machinima Doom movie made in the Doom 3 engine.

I hate to bump a somewhat old thread, but apparently there's something about the alpha that at least a few of you don't realize. When it comes to recording/playing back demos and using the avidemo command, by default, yes, you'll get choppy framerates when you try to assemble it into an avi. However, there's a way to change this. I've made a number of *very* nice looking 30fps D3 demos that have absolutely ZERO chop/frameloss in them. Also, this will work on ANY system as long as it can run D3.

I'm not at home right now (shift worker, yay) so I can't give you the exact command, but it's something like:
g_dropdemoframes 0
or
com_showalldemoframes 1

I don't think it's either of those commands, but going on that basic idea, you'll quickly find the one I'm talking about. Set your r_mode to whatever you want, set that command to "0" (or 1 or whatever the actual command indicates, so that it renders all the frames), do /avidemo demo000 or whatever, and viola. If you can't figure out the exact console command, I'll drop by later and post it up once I have access to my system.

Anyhow.. have fun with that.

On an unrelated note (since there's no point in making a new thread about this), did anyone else notice how the final door in the alpha (level 3) where you fight the hell knight is actually an airlock? The control panel next to it says as much. Not a big thing.. just kinda neat to see.

Also, for those of you trying to take D3 pics for personal usage (backgrounds or whatnot), an excellent way to capture specific frames of monster animation or specific intensities of light is to use the "timescale" command. Type in "timescale .2" or whatever you want (1 is the default) and you'll find that while your framerate will drop a bit, it'll be infinitely easier to capture exactly what you want in your screen.

Hmm, normally I get pissed off like any other Mod when people bump a thread, but this time, I'll make an exception, because your post actually added something new to the thread.

Just thought I'd tell ya that I'm not pissed at ya for bumping the thread :-)

Nice to hear that, dsm. Figured the inclusion of actual worthwhile information would keep it from getting on anyone's nerves. =)

Anyway, I said I'd look up the command when I got back.. so.. here it is. Just set this to "0" and your avidemo's will come out at a constant 30fps.

com_skipdemoframes "0"

Enjoy.

Thanks a lot. This is the answer to my prayers.

Now if only WinXP wouldn't give me those virtual memory errors whenever I run the whole E3 demo...

Hehe well I hope id takes this info and makes it standard for recording demos into standard mpeg or avi files.

Lord FlatHead said:

The latest version of VirtualDub allows you to easily convert a series of .TGA files into an AVI.

Oh well problem solved lol