Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

List of Doom engine standalone games?

ScumHead has done a fair few retro-styled GZDoom games over on their itch.io page -- including the excellent Shrine and Lycanthorn games.

Lycanthorn 1 and Lycanthorn 2 are both freeware.

Shrine  1 and Shrine 2

Golden Souls 1 and 2

36 minutes ago, kalensar said:

Golden Souls 1 and 2

Those aren't standalone.

3 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

EDIT: Also, TerminusEst13's Nocturne in Yellow.

Ah yes, the GLOOME games. There was also Project 67, but it didn't seem to get finished or released.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

Dismantled -- commercial, GZDoom

I remember playing a demo of this one.

Really fucking good horror material there.

Probably it got much better since it went commercial.

@Gez does Cybershade count?
It use Chocolate as source port, and doesn't need Doom to be played.

Also, Foreverhood.
I think its abandoned, but that was a really neat and interesting experience.

Edited by P41R47

28 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

does Cybershade count?
It use Chocolate as source port, and doesn't need Doom to be played.

That was the one I was trying to remember!

@GezA few more:

Great list!

One game you might want to add is "Nu//void". It's a short standalone puzzle game that was made by the same guys behind "The Adventures of Square".

11 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Breadmonster: Invasion, The Cenote, Legion of Demigods: Deathmatch - Not sure if these are standalone, but The Cenote is more certainly.

The Cenote is, but Legion of Demigods is explicitly said to be a Doom II mod, and I think Breadmonster is as well.

12 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Solace Dreams + Solace - Dreams

What's the difference?

The Crimson Deed

It has been canceled, BTW.

Blaze (Doom Engine, by Twinbeast, of Cybershade fame) 

Seems dead. Amusingly, its IndieDB page lists it as released, but the game it matched to it seems entirely unrelated (and is made in Unity anyway).

Poharex: The Second Invasion 

Explicitly a Doom mod. Though there's a video of it in Heretic as well?

Regular Day

From all the stock Doom textures I see in the screenshots, I don't feel this really qualifies as standalone.

HaloDoom

On its site, it's presented as a "Halo mod in Doom 2"

Here's some other freeware standalone games I found:

Decadence

Kid 4 $29.99 - TerminusEst13's 7DFPS Jam Entry, despite saying it needs Doom 2, it doesn't need it at all.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors TC - Despite saying TC, it is actually standalone, using .ipk3, has been in development for almost 6 years.

EDIT: I.M.Meen TC - Uses .iwad extension, basically a remake of that old edutainment game, but without the education part.
EDIT 2: Nido Force - An action-platformer made in GLOOME engine for the same contest Nocturne In Yellow was in.

Edited by QuakedoomNukem Cz

9 hours ago, Gez said:

The Cenote is, but Legion of Demigods is explicitly said to be a Doom II mod, and I think Breadmonster is as well.

I couldn't be sure of the latter as they seem to use specific ZDoom engines for both. But The Cenote certianly.

9 hours ago, Gez said:

What's the difference?

Sorry, this was a copy paste. Solace and Solace Dreams are (or were?) two separate titles, Solace Dreams being the successor.

9 hours ago, Gez said:

It has been canceled, BTW.

That is a incredible pity because it looked extremely impressive, bearing the Batandy Seal. Shame. Atleast there is a demo.

9 hours ago, Gez said:

Seems dead. Amusingly, its IndieDB page lists it as released, but the game it matched to it seems entirely unrelated (and is made in Unity anyway).

Twinbeast had a string of new games but very few were ever completed. A case of many idea's, but little finishes.

9 hours ago, Gez said:

Explicitly a Doom mod. Though there's a video of it in Heretic as well?

From what i recall there was a post stating it was to go standalone. But that was years ago. (I do this quite often, eh? ''I seem to recall'', ''I think that..'' Little snippets of memories, because there was a reason why i listed them as standalone.

9 hours ago, Gez said:

From all the stock Doom textures I see in the screenshots, I don't feel this really qualifies as standalone.

This one is the kind of standalone like Grezzo 2 is. Standalone, but full of copyrighted stuff. It also belongs to that same level of gaming.

9 hours ago, Gez said:

This one was to go standalone.

Glad i was able to help. :)

Thanks by the way for pulling this legwork and your extensive knowledge on not only this matter but generally anything else Doomrelated. A somewhat definitive list will work well for both ZDoom and DoomWiki.

One other would be Thrust TC, although that still needs Doom IWAD. It was a mixture of both a (rather impressive) early port, and a standalone game.

Hedon 2 is now out as well, although both games are bundled together commercially and can't be purchased/downloaded separately, so up to your discretion whether it counts as another item for the list.

Somewhat related, but the game Radix: Beyond the Void (published in 1995) has been converted to the Doom engine by Jim Valavanis using his port DelphiDoom as a base: RAD Engine. It's a backdoor into the Doom world, but it's worth thinking about.

On 7/8/2021 at 11:26 AM, Gez said:

Late response, but i just tried out the 1.0 beta from 2014. It does use FreeDoom IWAD, but its basically used in the same manner Return of the Triad and Mayhem Mansion use dummy IWAD's - It does not seem to use anything from the IWAD whatsoever.

HaloDoom: Code Of Silence is pretty impressive though:

• Full 3D models
  • Voice acting
  • Scripted cutscenes
  • Scripted introduction
  • Invasion mode
  • Singleplayer campaign (two episodes) and multiplayer

It seems its not developed anymore, but its overall pretty polished, custom installer and icon.

There are some minuses ofcourse:

• Uses Zandronum 1.2.
  • The models aren't interpolated, so they move jerky
  • Weapons are sprites,  not models.

Visually it looks like a 2000/2001 title by some stretch of the imagination. You will only know its using FreeDoom due to the start up and you only know its Doom because the classic cheat codes work.

This is practically a standalone game because nothing of Freedoom really seems used, they just didn't know how to make it a full IWAD. I can imagine not much is needed to go full standalone here.

@Gez Another one to score:

I may go over all your entries to specifiy which build/version is needed to play any of these games.

EDIT: And another one: Haze. or better known as Haze: Lost Cold in Haze/Lost In Haze. I am missing the exact thread it came from, but there is a prototype, which includes ZDoom 2.4.0 and seems to take advantage of it: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2ked86u8j6rxnf9/HazePrototype.zip/file

According to the readme:

Haze (Lost in Cold Haze to be exact) is a horror mod that was being developped for Zdoom since mid 2010 up until January 2012. It is now considered discontinued, or "on an unplanned hold" if you prefer ;p
Haze relied heavilly on spooky atmosphere and used all possible tricks and hacks of Zdoom's software renderer (not Gzdoom's OPENGL pretty stuff) to achieve that, and was going to sport a surirval horror-esque gameplay with enemies being much stronger and dangerous than the player could handle, forcing him/her to retreat, avoid enemies and ultimately fear them...
The story revolved around one Ryan Porter, who was driving home from a party one night with his cousin and friends, but upon sighting a mysterious figure on the road made a wrong turn. The car ended up at the bottom of the highway cliff the next day with Ryan stranded in the wreak, and something out there being in the forest...
What you have here is about 30% done game, an unfinished but working prototype.

It uses a Fake IWAD to achieve standalone-ness.

EDIT2: And yet another one. Cursed Maze.

Cursed Maze by IBM5155 works standalone using GZDoom and GLOOME.

GLOOME Edition: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33757

EDIT 3: And one more: Spooky's House of Jump Scares TC. also by IBM5155. Uses the GZSpooky custom fork.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49675

Edited by Redneckerz

Another one, Mike MacDee (Dynamite Duchess)

Appetite For Detention comes in a standalone ipk3 file, and seems to based in the same universe as Dynamite Duchess

afd-sign.png?w=323&h=105

On 11/10/2021 at 10:07 PM, Some1NamedNate said:

Huh. There doesn't seem to be one for Eternity Engine.

Mordeth

*wink* *wink*

;)

2 hours ago, Some1NamedNate said:

That's Vanilla Doom.

What you played there is not representative of the final product! The full version will run on the Eternity Engine with new monsters, features, blackjack and hookers! Once it comes out - we will all enjoy a true masterpiece as we all collectively shit our adult-diapers in the retirement home!

I'm joking of course, but I have heard that the devs (or dev?) have shared progress reports over the years about the mod's development, which kinda indicates that it could still become a full TC and even possibly the first ever Eternity Engine TC, unless someone beats them to the punch first.