Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
princetontiger

Health "Megaarmor" for Doom?

has the question ever been answered of why there is no 'health' megaarmor that gives you 200hp? the soulsphere only increases health by 100hp (capped at 200hp).

Because Health is more valuable than Armor for the same reason it's also more valuable than mana in RPG games: without it you die.

Effectively, it's always been possible by placing 199 health bonuses all on top of each other. Doomguy will pick up all of them at once, so that any that you "didn't need" will be "wasted."

I don't know specifically why the Id dudes didn't do it with a single pickup, but you can always make one or go the hacky bonus route.

Honestly... it's a question that is no way to be answered because they made this decision like 25 years ago, and nobody outside of whoever made the game can really understand "why".

Then this can lead to more useless discussion like, why there's no Armor "Soulsphere", or why there's no Armor "Medikit" or whatnot.

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

Then this can lead to more useless discussion like, why there's no Armor "Soulsphere", or why there's no Armor "Medikit" or whatnot.

Isn't the green armor basically just an armor Soulsphere?

26 minutes ago, vdm1337 said:

It's bit different between flat + 100 and setting it 100.

TBH, health and armor are different, so we shouldn't compare them. Therefore not having a same counterpart is very normal because armor also has a thing called absorption rate.

1 hour ago, vdm1337 said:

No, the Berserk pack is a health Green Armor with a bonus increased fist damage output :)

5 hours ago, princetontiger said:

has the question ever been answered of why there is no 'health' megaarmor that gives you 200hp? the soulsphere only increases health by 100hp (capped at 200hp).

If you already have a power-up that grants 200hp of health/armor, then there's no reason for any of the "regular" health to be stronger. That's the whole point of having mega/soulspheres--they're relatively rare, forcing the player to mostly relie on less effective but more plentiful health pickups.

Well there's probably some reasoning for the soulsphere and megaarmor to work differently. Not sure if related but one is treated as a powerup while the other is a higher tier armor thing that also boosts the damage absorption%.

It kinda makes sense that the soulsphere would 'add' health while the armor completely substitutes your older one.

The megasphere was created later on Doom 2 so not really counting that here. There might be something about those decisions on the Masters of Doom, the Game Engine Black Book or something like that...

6 hours ago, princetontiger said:

Because you can't have 0 health and thus there is less reason to have a 200 max health outside of the Megasphere.

11 hours ago, Uni said:

I would simply say because of redundancy. 

This is the one. Like Silverminer mentioned, two soulspheres on top of one another is effectively the same thing (or perhaps a berzerk sitting next to a soulsphere).

17 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

This is the one. Like Silverminer mentioned, two soulspheres on top of one another is effectively the same thing (or perhaps a berzerk sitting next to a soulsphere).

"I see that you seem to be struggling with my map. Now, I'm going to give you blue balls."

6 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

"I see that you seem to be struggling with my map. Now, I'm going to give you blue balls."

this is the only post i have read so far in this thread and i can tell its probably the best post so far