Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomguykiller69

Doomguy, Doom marine or Doomslayer?

Way back in the mid 90s, I used the nickname "Doom Master" while my best friend used "Dark Slayer".

So you could say we were ahead of our time

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Side note here, but how on Earth did they ever come up with the cheesy name Flynn Taggart

Wasn't Taggart a Scottish detective fiction TV series? The name sounds badass enough.

1 hour ago, ZeroTheEro said:

There's also John Kane for the Doom 3 novels.

That name also sounds like Batman.

Finally, John Grimm sounds like the Grimm brothers. Classic fairy tales which may be interpreted more or less, well, grim, as you grow up and realize.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Guybrush Doomwood

Oh yeah, the ever so used flooring inspector courageous hero protagonist trope. @Maes will be proven right with his hover scooter idea.

Edited by printz

10 hours ago, printz said:

Oh yeah, the ever so used flooring inspector courageous hero protagonist trope.

Not at all, Guybrush Doomwood is a mighty marine!

"Look behind you, a three-headed pinky!"

Edited by Gez

10 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Starts about 4:47. Gloriously silly especially when "Doomguy" calls the demon on the other end "mutant snail shit".

YPOD! I've been looking for this for years, played it around the time it was released and was never able to find it since. I asked about it in the "looking for a specific WAD" and I almost thought I'd made the entire thing up as my memory was vague. Glad to see I'm not insane...

8 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

YPOD! I've been looking for this for years, played it around the time it was released and was never able to find it since. I asked about it in the "looking for a specific WAD" and I almost thought I'd made the entire thing up as my memory was vague. Glad to see I'm not insane...

Happy to be of service. I think.

I call the Doom I/II/Final Doom and Doom 64 guys: DoomGuy
The Doom 3 guys are: Doom Marine
The Guy from Doom 2016 and Eternal is Doomslayer.

I think I heard somewhere that Doom Slayer is supposed to be the same as DoomGuy but I still like differentiating between the two when talking about character quirks because their powers and arsenals are different: Doom Guy can run faster than a rocket. Doom Slayer can double jump.

i didn't bother calling him other than "doomer", even in the new doom games.

Either Doomguy or Doomslayer. Calling him DOOM also fits him or as Duke Nukem said once "that's sure a Doomed space marine"

On 7/7/2021 at 4:25 PM, Murdoch said:

The player character is you. He has no official name in the original classic media lore, such as it is. So call him whatever you like. It's really quite meaningless and no correct answer.

Then I shall call him Ushnak Izkes Marlekel Hasdid!

On 7/8/2021 at 3:33 PM, Teo Slayer said:

Duke Nukem said once "that's sure a Doomed space marine"

Correction: He said "Hmm, that's one Doomed Space Marine".

As for me, it's exclusively Doomguy for the originals and Doomslayer for the reboots. I haven't given Doom 3 much thought, but I'd probably use just marine, without the Doom.

Also note, I consider Doomguy and Doomslayer completely different characters. Even different universes. Nothing to do with each other whatsoever.

Books: Flynn Taggart
Doom I and II manuals: You
Doom 3 box-cover: "One man between Hell and Earth", You
Doom 64 manual: "You the tough marine"
Quake 3: Doom
Doom 2016: Doom Marine, Doomslayer, "Hell Walker, the Unchained Predator"
Doom Eternal: Doomslayer, Doomguy, Doom Marine
Doom RPGs: Stan Blazkowicz

John Romero: You, Doomguy, Stan Blazkowicz (not 100% on the last one)
Tom Hall: Stan Blazkowicz
John Carmack: Stan Blazkowicz (Not 100% on this one either)

And I'm probably missing about half.

So I guess Doomguy's name is ultimately yours to decide since the members of id can't come to a conclusion either. 

Personally I like "The Mean Green Marine."

On 10/10/2021 at 1:34 AM, Robo_Cola said:

John Romero: You, Doomguy, Stan Blazkowicz (not 100% on the last one)
Tom Hall: Stan Blazkowicz
John Carmack: Stan Blazkowicz (Not 100% on this one either)

I am pretty sure „Stan Blazkowicz“ was invented from the makers of the Doom RPG in a desperate attempt to link the Doom and Wolfenstein backstories together.

Romero and Carmack always embraced the idea of a nameless marine, as far as I know.

Tom Hall had „Buddy Dacote“ in the Doom Bible, for a character that was like a proto- Doomguy.

15 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

I am pretty sure „Stan Blazkowicz“ was invented from the makers of the Doom RPG in a desperate attempt to link the Doom and Wolfenstein backstories together.

Romero and Carmack always embraced the idea of a nameless marine, as far as I know.

Tom Hall had „Buddy Dacote“ in the Doom Bible, for a character that was like a proto- Doomguy.

You've probably already seen this, but Tom Hall **sorta** confirmed the Stan Blazkowicz name as canon.  He doesn't outright say the name, but he confirms everything the original poster said here.
TomHallQuote.png.b1edf10b792c1da282e3c08e19e2131b.png
With the "this was later confirmed in the doom RPG series" being a noted detail.  I'm assuming Tom Hall knows about Stan Blazkowicz's role in the game.

With John Romero and John Carmack I'm not 100% sure (as I stated in the first response) on the Stan Blazkowicz ordeal.  A long time ago I thought I read something about Carmack mentioning Stan but I can't find it.  Some sources state John Romero confirmed the Stan thing too but I haven't found anything definitive either yet.

I didn't include Buddy Dacote cause there's so much debate on what his role exactly was.

Edited by Robo_Cola

Doom Marine from position, Doom Slayer from fear, Doomguy from our hearts.

9 hours ago, Robo_Cola said:

You've probably already seen this, but Tom Hall **sorta** confirmed the Stan Blazkowicz name as canon.  He doesn't outright say the name, but he confirms everything the original poster said here.
TomHallQuote.png.b1edf10b792c1da282e3c08e19e2131b.png

Interesting, I didn't knew that tweet from Tom Hall. I'm not sure if he is serious though, the story of Commander Keen wasn't in any way connected to Doom's story. Stuff like "he is the father of Doomguy" always seems like silly fan-fiction to me. When id Software included characters from Quake, Quake II and Doom into one game setting they invented a surreal multi-dimensional Arena in Q3A.