Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfwin

I want to play and record videos of your WADs!

Here's a, multi-map wad that I probably didn't update for 7 months. (oh and also my lastest release currently)

Just now, happy_mac said:

Well in the begging of this year I made a little demo WAD. Its called "Late For Work Demo" (has some issues which might get fiixed soon). https://drive.google.com/file/d/148mOEnPwp2wpml3_ygIkxeZ5vBLzUApP/view?usp=sharing (wad is quite big to upload it without external source). I'd me much proud if you play it for me. Thanks in advance

Btw you will need some settings Set in GZDoom like reflective floors and stuff.

@Esperpento So apparently I'm just going through a phase of being really bad at Doom for some reason.  idk if I've not been playing enough or my mind's just not in the right space lately, but I've been having a much harder time with the last few maps I've played than is reasonable.  So, please don't misread my frustration here as directed at your maps; I actually think they're really well put together, and are some seriously cool challenging combat puzzles.  Mostly I was getting frustrated by my own lack of skill and failure to live up to my own standards.  These maps are mean, for sure, but I think if I played them with a clearer head, I'd have a lot of fun with them.  Although, I do still think that having just one or two safe points on the maps where the player can catch their breath would be nice.  It's easy to burn out on the intensity if it's all high-intensity, all the time; moments of downtime would give contrast to that.

TL;DR - Good stuff, tightly-designed and challenging.  Sorry I'm so bad at Doom lately for some reason.

I really need to play more Doom outside of these videos; get back in the groove, so to speak.

38 minutes ago, zombie_ryushu said:

Do Wads have to be complete?

Depends what you mean by "complete."  Wads should be in a playable state (functioning linedefs, monsters present, possible to reach the Exit, &c.) but it doesn't have to be fully polished.  You can submit a wad that you intend to make further refinement to, but it should at least have the basics down already.

For multi-level wads where some maps are complete and some aren't, just let me know which maps are complete and I'll play those.

Thats the case here. But this is a Hexen mod I am porting to Doom 2 for Wrath of Cronos. so that it will work with FreeDoom Phase 2. There are glitches. But the first hub, and first boss works.

The Doom 2 Edition of this mod requires a Cocktail of Support Wads to work as its intended for Hexen.

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=wrathofcronosr2cfix.pk3

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=wrathofcronosnothexenpatch.pk3

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=wrathofcronosdoompatch2.pk3

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=woc_v3databaseaddon_rc3fixv2.pk3

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=lsr_woc20-assets.pk3

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=lsr_woc20-music.pk3

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=lsr_woc20-maps4.pk3

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=sm4bbgorev3.pk3

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=lsr_woc20_nothexen.pk3

The reason this is being done in this fashion is so the mod relies on its own internal assets as much as possible.

In the second hub, There is a blocker bug on Map07 because Doom lacks the giant Hexen Bell object, its not possible to get a critical quest item and progress on. This will be fixed in future revisions.

Also note that this mod will not work with any version of Wrath of Cronos after 2.0.

Also there is an intro map on map00. Start the mod on Map00

@Orcsbreath Thanks for playing my wad!! I really appreciate it! Thanks for your kind words and insights! Your playthrough and commentary gives me ideas on how to improve.

For example, in the first level you shot the hidden switch but couldn't find the door that it opened (it's the one with the lion texture that grants you access to the central blood pool with the ssg), so maybe a more striking texture would help. I tried to make the secrets not so obvious, but in the heat of this fights you don't have time to pay attention to details.

I've also seen you got stuck with the geometry by the red key area, so maybe some impassable linedefs would help with that, the level it's already hard without geometry against you.

Regarding the second level, you almost finished it! Only the final fight was left. There is an archvile with the 2 cacos in the cage by the starting area, they kept getting resurrected. I don't know why, but in your playthrough I couldn't hear it, so it was nearly impossible to figure. The fake walls (nukage falls) are there to hint a secret (a really rewarding one) as you see how the imps go through them, but it's true it adds more difficulty when fighting them. Perhaps I should block the monsters and let the player find it with the automap.

I hope I didn't stress you too much, don't beat yourself up about your skill, we all have our days. If I may make a suggestion, I think a higher display resolution makes it easier to be aware of sorroundings (in the video seems a little low in my opinion), and if you were playing on GZDoom with compat set to doom (strict) keep in mind it restores original hitscan detection, which makes harder to punch monsters if you are not used to it. However, I don't intend to tell you how to play as it's very subjective :) (and I couldn't play and talk at the same time haha)

Maybe I focused too much in making UV challenging that it ended being too punishing and exhausting for a blind player. One day, if you feel like it, give them a try in HMP, I believe they're still challenging but a bit more fun and fair.

TL;DR: Thanks for playing! It's very helpful to see someone else playing my levels, I'll keep in mind your observations!

1 hour ago, Esperpento said:

but in the heat of this fights you don't have time to pay attention to details.

That is what I learned recently as well. When making maps, things that look obvious to me are rarely spotted by players in the heat of the combat, especially because most of them are on their first/blind run.

That SSG switch I was not able to spot it myself even though it was right in front of me like three or four times.

8 hours ago, Orcsbreath said:

So apparently I'm just going through a phase of being really bad at Doom for some reason.

Do not blame your Doom skills. Blame yourself for picking up way too difficult levels (Fiendish's and Esperpento's) to play, because I played those recently as well and you do need a strategy to beat them more consistently. But I found those amazing and fun levels!

As a side note, imo the concepts of ultra-violence and secrets are a bit too broad in some cases. I define UV as a real challenge, and secrets as being not so obvious, after all they are secrets. For first/blind runs, it would be more preferable to play on HMP, and also maybe the mappers state that UV can be very bloody, so you choose this at your own risk. Something along those lines. There are all kinds of tastes for maps and for how challenging a map should be. I team up with the people that appreciate hard but clever levels, not just a bunch of random high tier demons. I don't care much about aesthetics as long as the fights are enjoyable.

I understand it'll be low-priority due to its size and the custom tweaks, but anyway, I hope you can get to it one day (and enjoy it).

On 8/11/2021 at 6:27 PM, Astro X said:

As a side note, imo the concepts of ultra-violence and secrets are a bit too broad in some cases. I define UV as a real challenge, and secrets as being not so obvious, after all they are secrets. For first/blind runs, it would be more preferable to play on HMP, and also maybe the mappers state that UV can be very bloody, so you choose this at your own risk. Something along those lines. There are all kinds of tastes for maps and for how challenging a map should be. I team up with the people that appreciate hard but clever levels, not just a bunch of random high tier demons. I don't care much about aesthetics as long as the fights are enjoyable.

Honestly I still don't fully understand DOOM difficulty settings.  Intuitively, I used to assume HMP as the "default" with UV being for "extra challenge," but then I see 90% of WAD authors assuming UV as the "default" and HMP as "easy mode," so I never know what the author was thinking when they made the map.  I might start playing on HMP going forward - if nothing else, I'd like to normalize that being the "default" option, so that there's room for an "extra challenge" option - but I also don't want to miss out on the "full" experience as intended by the WAD's author.

12 hours ago, Orcsbreath said:

Honestly I still don't fully understand DOOM difficulty settings.  Intuitively, I used to assume HMP as the "default" with UV being for "extra challenge," but then I see 90% of WAD authors assuming UV as the "default" and HMP as "easy mode," so I never know what the author was thinking when they made the map.  I might start playing on HMP going forward - if nothing else, I'd like to normalize that being the "default" option, so that there's room for an "extra challenge" option - but I also don't want to miss out on the "full" experience as intended by the WAD's author.

Thats because many think that everybody should be a super pro experienced Player ;)

I for example also play mostly on hmp and i assume many do.

I see Mappers implementing good Difficulty Settings and Spikes as the best :D

13 hours ago, Orcsbreath said:

Yeah, me too. I playtest on HMP now, partly because I value my time over trying to safescum my way through something that's above my skill level.

But then I also see people complain that a map is too difficult while they auto-selected UV. Sometimes UV is only meant for the top players or repeat playthroughs. 

Hey folks; no video this week, sorry!  I think I strained my wrist with too much gaming, so I couldn't play Doom (well, I probably could've, but I want to give the injury a chance to heal while it's still mild, not make it worse).  Normal schedule should resume next week.

5 minutes ago, Orcsbreath said:

Hey folks; no video this week, sorry!  I think I strained my wrist with too much gaming, so I couldn't play Doom (well, I probably could've, but I want to give the injury a chance to heal while it's still mild, not make it worse).  Normal schedule should resume next week.

Hey, no worries! Good call on taking it easy. I hope you heal up well, and looking forward to your playthroughs of others' maps after you're all recovered and ready.

@Pistoolkip (publishing this early because I might not have a chance to make this post tomorrow) Well, this was a really fun set of levels!  I only had time for the first 3 maps, unfortunately, and I did have to cheat on map03.  Sorry!  I just couldn't find the way to progress at one point.  Even so, these were a good time. 

I have also learnt that, in future, I should mute the music in WADs that use non-DOOM tracks.  This vid got hit by a copyright claim, so there's probably gonna be ads on it.  Nothing I can do about that, unfortunately.

51 minutes ago, Orcsbreath said:

@Pistoolkip (publishing this early because I might not have a chance to make this post tomorrow) Well, this was a really fun set of levels!  I only had time for the first 3 maps, unfortunately, and I did have to cheat on map03.  Sorry!  I just couldn't find the way to progress at one point.  Even so, these were a good time. 

I have also learnt that, in future, I should mute the music in WADs that use non-DOOM tracks.  This vid got hit by a copyright claim, so there's probably gonna be ads on it.  Nothing I can do about that, unfortunately.

Thanks for playing the WAD!

Yeah, I know why you got stuck. Nothing you could have done about it. My last update accidently removed a door for some reason. I don't know why, but it has since been fixed. 

Sorry about the music too. I had made a 'copyright free' version with some stock DOOM midi's but people actually complained that they preferred the added ones. I'll put a warning in the txt file.

30 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

Yeah, I know why you got stuck. Nothing you could have done about it. My last update accidently removed a door for some reason. I don't know why, but it has since been fixed. 

That's reassuring.  I was worried I had missed an incredibly-obvious switch or something, lol

Hi,

i am doing a Map for a the Theme Gawad Project here on Doomworld and i think i really need a Opinion for the Battles, to balance them.
The Specification for the Map is "Corrupted Tech-Base (Arena Fight)", so the Begining is more or less run and gun and leads into a Arena Fight.

The Map is pure Doom 2, it is played up and down on Choclate Doom.
So no jumping, since there is a Section that would break it.
Free Aim wouldn't break this Map, so i don't care

Since i am really not as good and my last Playthrough ended in me having nearly no Damage, i need somebody to play it to see if it is really so easy
or if it is just that i played it so much times :D
(Maybe i should replace the Barons or one with a Archvile)
I am bad making Details, so it is still far from perfect in some Corners. The Exit is not done because i want to mimik a bit the Map21 made by somebody else. 
The Beginning is mimiking Map19 from this Project.

Theme_Gawad_Map20_Beta1.zip

P.S.
Use the Chainsaw.

If you play it, i hope you'll have some Fun :)

1402286772_ThemeGawadMap20.png.ffb541440ce6a9d7634cdd97e9916f75.png

Edited by Azuris

I got a couple of things, if that's alright.

1. I made a 7-map set of levels in UDMF for GZDoom, and I posted it here a few days ago. The gameplay and architecture is for the most part Vanilla; there are a few polyobjects and 3D floors throughout, but (if I may say so) not to a transformative degree like e.g. Knee Deep in ZDoom. Jumping and crouching aren't expected at all, nor is freelook/mouselook, and I tried to keep from making the individual levels too massive. Would def appreciate if you could give it a shake.

2. Yesterday I made a 1-map submission for the TNT Speedmapping project in the vanilla Doom 2 format, and I spent some time today really sprucing it up to be a bit more detailed. I'll go ahead and attach the nice & neat version here along with a couple of screenies. Note though that it replaces Map 25 of TNT, so I built this with the expectation that the player wouldn't be doing a pistol start; maybe try playing a level or two from earlier in TNT first and transfer in with some weapons and ammo on you for the intended experience. Barons' Realm.zip

The promised screenshots:

Spoiler

DOOM0004.png.6fd5cd369120c3b4e3d7c3eed872cdce.png

DOOM0005.png.296d8b78d46b86f2814f85475c466fc4.png

DOOM0006.png.d8fb3f2623d365c3e6589bb58319030b.png

Edited by SMG_Man : compressing post length

@VisionThing This was a fun little map.  Got some pretty strong Doom64 vibes from it.  It's simple, but enjoyable; the atmosphere/visual theming was definitely the map's strongest suit.

@Pistoolkip Since the "main" WAD in this video was on the shorter side, I also played the final level of Slith.  That was a pretty solid boss fight; the whole way through I was constantly on my toes, but never feeling too much pressure.  Only thing I didn't like was that the Spider Mastermind felt like a bit of an anticlimax (but when doesn't she?).  Oh, and, since I don't think I mentioned it in this video: I loved the visual design here.  The main basilica is absolutely gorgeous.  Good stuff.

On 9/1/2021 at 6:18 PM, Orcsbreath said:

@VisionThing This was a fun little map.  Got some pretty strong Doom64 vibes from it.  It's simple, but enjoyable; the atmosphere/visual theming was definitely the map's strongest suit.

@Pistoolkip Since the "main" WAD in this video was on the shorter side, I also played the final level of Slith.  That was a pretty solid boss fight; the whole way through I was constantly on my toes, but never feeling too much pressure.  Only thing I didn't like was that the Spider Mastermind felt like a bit of an anticlimax (but when doesn't she?).  Oh, and, since I don't think I mentioned it in this video: I loved the visual design here.  The main basilica is absolutely gorgeous.  Good stuff.

Thanks, that was a good watch and detailed commentary! I appreciate that my attention to visual cohesion and atmosphere didn't go unnoticed. To answer a couple of your observations during the playthrough, the imp spawn is a linedef trigger in the doorway and most of the textures are CC4. Interesting point about Doom 64 also, I was playing a lot of it at the time which no doubt influenced this map.

No video this week; sorry folks.  I've had a bunch of stuff going on lately & I just haven't had the energy to record any videos of the level of quality I try to hold myself to.  And it wouldn't be fair to y'all for me to play your maps when my heart isn't in it - I want to be able to judge the WADs I play on their own merits, not biased by my ill mood caused by unrelated stuff in my life.

@Astro X  This was a lot of fun.  Crucially, I think it was exactly the pace/style of Doom level I was in the mood for when I played it.  I definitely intend to revisit it and play the rest at some point. 

5 hours ago, Orcsbreath said:

This was a lot of fun.  Crucially, I think it was exactly the pace/style of Doom level I was in the mood for when I played it.  I definitely intend to revisit it and play the rest at some point.

Thank you so much for playing my wad, @Orcsbreath! It really means a lot to me :) I'm happy that you enjoyed it!

And there are no inescapable pits. You could have dropped down from the red skullkey cliff and found a soulsphere there behind a fake wall lol

Please play this vanilla <100 line map I made.

It has a DeHackEd lump inside the WAD itself, so I recommend you load it with -dehlump, as it does affect projectile collision with decorations.

Update: Temporary Hiatus

After careful consideration, I have decided to put this series on hold for a little while.  As much as I love Doom, playing it weekly has dulled my passion for it.  I know how my own mind works, and I know that the solution is to take a step back for a time.  I don't know how long; it might be a couple weeks, it might be more than a month.  I just need to recharge my Doom batteries, so to speak.

I fully intend to return to this in the future.  There are still so many WADs y'all have submitted that I want to play, but for now, I need to shift my focus to other things, for the sake of my own mental health, and for the sake of the quality of my work.

I hope you all can understand, and I'll see you in a little while.

That's why I changed my video format to playing WADs I decide to instead of requests. Trust me, you will have a much better time this way.