Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

32 piece Cliptucky Fried Chicken Special! (megawad of tiny maps) - Now on ID games!

Thanks to my fabulous internet connection today the screenshots are still downloading... Gorgeous maps! Have to try it later tonight. Maybe not on UV. Congratulations for the release!

This is so fun, just played about half of it, I really enjoy the gimmick and the fact that the maps are often more like puzzles than anything else. Really nice stuff here Clippy.

Had some extra time today to give it a try, played until map 11.

What a surprise on map 01, totally unexpected crusher almost killed me!

I liked the next ones, but map04, not so sure buddy! Maybe the texturing, maybe I was too tired for it haha.

Despite that little nugget, everything else until map11 has been quite good.

Gotta say your version of "Tricks & Traps" is really good! like a minimalistic homage, and even visually works great, my fav so far.

Ill continue reporting my Cliptucky experience later on buddy.

Thanks so much for the feedback so far everyone I'm very happy to see your replies 😃💪🍗

Playing through this and I didn't get a shotgun on MAP 04, this is false advertising (maybe)

What's up with these clips?

Spoiler

image-2021-07-10-201232.png

Damn, I started MAP 06, and what's up wit this room

Edited by 1Destro3456

I finally have a chance to reply to all you fine ppl

@Silent Wolf : Don't be scared buddy - if you ever wanted to berserk punch an Archie this is probably the best arena for it! Or you can run around and carefully sneak all the keys

@evil_scientist : This made me LOL IRL - how you make out bud?

@sectrslayr : Sorry about your internet my friend - let me know what you think of maps - all difficulties supported!

@Philnemba : Me too! I am all about tiny maps - setting this ridiculous restriction for myself made it a fun challenge to work around and I hope ppl enjoy the low play times per map

@Kuro_mahoh : I hope so! Might be a slow start but stuff happens

@Doomkid :  It is an honour to see you leave this wonderful comment - I guess there are puzzle like features to this - I hope I didn't make it too puzzly - I am stoked you had a good time!

@Arrowhead : Nice - glad to hear the shortness is grabbing ppl's attention - I actively seek out short maps to play!

@CleaverHeaver : Glad I found my way into your alley bud - hope you had fun!

@Soulless : Thanks for having a look - crusher was a bit devious eh? Map 1 bringing it to ya! Map 4 was just another random gimmick from my bag of gimmicks - kind of a breather after map 3 maybe - thanks for honest feedback! Glad you liked the tricks and traps buddy, as I was building this one took the longest to make following the first 7 - I knew then it was going to be a big build to fire 32 of these off. Let me know if you play more!

@Clippy : Every time you post a chicken leg it makes me hungry

@1Destro3456 : Map 4 is kind of a wacky gimmick I came up with - I would be very curious to see if anyone actually obtains the shotgun here - either way a shotgun is in your future very soon - don't worry! And this is the benefit of playtesting - you helped me find some bugs or areas to improve. Red below

CHANGES:

Map 5: fixed those wonky clips

Map 6: I moved the items around so health potions guide the player hopefully to the start of the solution. I was worried ppl may not figure this out - it's all about not firing and following a specific path to kill the monsters one by one. If more ppl struggle here I may have to rethink this one.

This is all great in helping me fine tune it for ID games

Keep em coming you guys rock!

>map 04 the one you get a shotgun

>you dont get any shotgun and the level keeps trolling with it

>pain.jpg

good megawad tho

This is just a load of Finger-Lickin' Fun. Made it through 22, including the two secret levels. Will pick up again soon.

Spoiler

Knew this was gonna be something bonkers :D  Really creative little puzzles, got to map15 already (on HNTR).. so far was confounded most by the required AV-jump on map13 that happened then by accident, am not used to thinking in such terms!  While map06, unless i missed something, was, let's say extra-challenging.. and i simply had to save/load myself through it bit by bit, and took a while to figure out to raise the Cyberdemon.

Good stuff, Clippy!

This was a blast. Played Map01-14 and had a lot of fun solving the puzzels and whatnot. With so few monsters, every monster counts, so there are some lessons to be learned here for novice and veteran mappers alike.

Here's my playthrough. Might do the others maps later.

Edited by Pistoolkip

@Rammiel sucks! @sectrslayr - as you can see Map 4 is getting mixed reactions haha. I just couldn't help myself with that one. I think I made it quite impossible to get but I would be very curious if someone pulls it off. With so many themes per map I knew everyone would have different likes or dislikes

@Death Bear really enjoyed your movie buddy - of course we chatted on the discord and you helped me improve 22. I might have made that one too hard maybe? Again I wanted to experiment with a functional map where all sectors damage - except for the secret sector of course :P. I haven't seen feedback of the final maps yet - will be curious - I def up the ante in them

@dei_eldren Thanks for the feedback - I think I play so much doom I didn't realize these maps may be quite puzzling - I always try to exploit archvile jumps every time I encounter them - glad you figured it out tho! As for map 6, this slot has been giving me grief - I had another map 6 I replaced with this and need to figure out how to make the progression more obvious. Watch the video by the next person I talk to

@Pistoolkip Thanks for the feedback and praise re monster placement. My goal was map # = monster count. This limit was inspirational gold. It forced me to make tiny maps so I could actually get 32 but also made the creative juices flow to try to utilize each monster to their full potential. Trying to make them be a threat for multiple areas etc. Also mad props for figuring out map 6 - the only person I seen do this on film - a lot of ppl struggle with this one and I need to think how to make it function better - thanks so much! PS I did add health potions at the start to hopefully guide the player to the barrels. So many ppl want to rambo their way through but this is all about slow, careful tiptoeing using the arena as your friend

Looking forward to any future comments and I am quite happy this seems to be being received well :)

11 minutes ago, Clippy said:

@dei_eldren Thanks for the feedback - I think I play so much doom I didn't realize these maps may be quite puzzling - I always try to exploit archvile jumps every time I encounter them - glad you figured it out tho! As for map 6, this slot has been giving me grief - I had another map 6 I replaced with this and need to figure out how to make the progression more obvious. Watch the video by the next person I talk to

Oh god, yeah, but i was able to finish it by at first waking them all up, having them infight mostly, and running from the shelter room to press buttons... i just knew there had to be a more rational way cause it was pure luck and trial and error, and in the end the Mastermind was left alive :)  Unfortunately, i was just happy to get through so didn't try second time, and tiptoeing around didn't even occur to me as a viable option.  i won't make the same mistake in the next impossible looking situation.  And no, it's my inexperience and not obtuse progression - obviously Pistoolkip figured it very quickly - hopefully next opportunity i'll be able to consider more options. :D

Thanks for making these unique maps, and also, taking the trouble to make them accessible even down to HNTR!

@dei_eldren thank you for the feedback and yes I tried to accommodate all difficulty settings. In fact I just changed this so only the bosses only appear in Ultraviolence. For map 6 all of the other settings now have a mancubus and arachnotron. I've been doing minor ninja edits along the way prepping up to get it polished enough for ID games based on everybody's feedback 🙂

But yeah that's why it's called a quiet place   - I even have no music as it's meant to be very quiet don't wake the monsters. I think I was able to beat it in 16 or 17 seconds one time though by waking everybody up and having the best luck of all time running around. So it can be beaten the Safeway or the run around and wake everybody up way

I finished this. It is an eclectic mapset, but the creativity on display is admirable. I also think the level of polish is noticeably higher than a lot of your previous stuff. Among visuals, "metadata" (my term for presentation-related stuff like map names, intermission texts, etc.), and the gameplay scenarios, these feel reasonably well battle-tested. I found myself wanting to understand several maps, not just play through them.  I appreciated the enemy economy. It wasn't just the presence of meat and bosses that made up for lack of numbers; it was, in many cases, the situational usage of the monsters. The mapset also seemed to do a decent job of balancing for continuous. I never seemed to amass a stockpile of rockets and as soon as I did with plasma, I had to use it. 

My favorites were probably 4, 6, 17, and 27

My least favorites were probably 5 and 26.

3 hours ago, Clippy said:

@Pistoolkip Thanks for the feedback and praise re monster placement. My goal was map # = monster count. This limit was inspirational gold. It forced me to make tiny maps so I could actually get 32 but also made the creative juices flow to try to utilize each monster to their full potential. Trying to make them be a threat for multiple areas etc. Also mad props for figuring out map 6 - the only person I seen do this on film - a lot of ppl struggle with this one and I need to think how to make it function better - thanks so much! PS I did add health potions at the start to hopefully guide the player to the barrels. So many ppl want to rambo their way through but this is all about slow, careful tiptoeing using the arena as your friend

Thanks. It was trail and error mostly. I died a couple of times, but I did enjoy figuring it out step by step. In my experience, you're communicating clearly that this can't be solved with violence, and there are several indicators that this is a puzzle map. But maybe that could be clearer? Have an obvious button you need to press as a first step that lowers the first teleporter, for example?

Btw, the thing about fase advertisement was a joke, and I understood the joke on the title too, I don’t dislike the mal, and I think it’s a pretty neat gimmick 

16 hours ago, Clippy said:

@dei_eldren thank you for the feedback and yes I tried to accommodate all difficulty settings. In fact I just changed this so only the bosses only appear in Ultraviolence. For map 6 all of the other settings now have a mancubus and arachnotron. I've been doing minor ninja edits along the way prepping up to get it polished enough for ID games based on everybody's feedback 🙂

i just wanna say that your supersecret 32nd is incredible - that's how it's done!   And i forgot to change to the new version, but in 15 & 31 i didn't find the bosses too difficult to handle, thanks to being able to do them from shelter.  

So i don't sound like a total fanboy, i'll condense my comments to this: this should seriously get a Cacoward as these are all really well thought out and balanced, i feel nothing's really luck-based here.

@HAK3180 It was nice to hear from ya with such a nice review  - I am glad to hear I entertained you considering how many maps you played. I think the tiny maps allowed me to use a lot of ideas I've had in my head in a while, without the pressure of building a whole map around it. Like remember when we played with the immortal thing? That became map 12 of course. Also it's easy to polish very tiny maps versus even regular sized maps - but I still don't know much what I'm doing when trying to decorate a level. The monster set up I think inspired me to try to use em well but also took off the pressure of having to make 32 maps. Glad to hear it's balanced decently for continuous, I was worried I gave too many cells in the 20s. I hope to see more ppl try pistol starts as they are designed for both.

Thanks for sharing your fave maps too. 4 is really just a big old joke, no challenge here haha. 6 has been giving me grief as ppl seem to struggle with it not seeing the path to quiet victory - so I added a intro scene with helpful advise I hope. 17 was me running out of steam and I didn't feel it while making it so surprised to see it on a fave list. 27 I def put effort into haha - good times. I'm not a big fan of 5 and 26 either tbh but I hope they weren't too unfun. I hope to see video or hear more about the later maps to see if they play well - constantly making minor adjustments - good times.

@Pistoolkip thanks for the reply, so far I did add health potions to guide the way but this time I also added an into that gives the player helpful information and maybe this will prevent ppl from thinking  they have to actually take on big bosses in level 6. I don't want to scare ppl away from the rest haha

@DSC hahahI like that guy he reminds me of me - I wonder if we're related?

@1Destro3456 thanks buddy - oops sometimes I miss jokes when reading text messages - good times

@Dubbag hey we talked last night - super late huh - nice video it helped. You're right about lack of sauce - what was I thinking? Download it again I think I fixed it - I always try to take ppl's advise as I want to make this set perfect. I think the blood sauce floor works better no? What do you think? Also sorry about map 6, I didn't expect the player to just shoot about so to make it more clear I put an opening intro in. Don't worry, a lot of ppl have struggled with this one and I am trying to figure out how to make the progression more clear. Check ur discord. Anyway you still found a way to beat it so I'm glad but I never meant for that to be frustrating or to just fight those big dudes with just a pistol!! Although I did beat it in 17 secs once with pure luck and infighting. Where is @Pseudonaut these days to try and beat my par times? haha

@dei_eldren really enjoy your feedback. Map 32 is my first venture into custom monsters. I cheated and just changed the skin on Wolfenstien blue dude and made him drop rockets. My wife filmed the sound effects - I still find it hilarious! Ps I only changed monster placement in map 6 - all other maps were already adjusted accordingly for difficulty settings. And please fanboy away I won't stop ya :D - I tried to balance these maps out well and put more effort into monster placement and usage than anything else. I worry the final 20s may be too hard but we'll see. Thanks so much buddy you made my day

I should clarify regarding Map 06. I did think, given the title, lack of music, extra encouragement note, and monster placement, that it was obvious this was some sort of no shooting puzzle. However, you can add me to the list of those who never actually figured it out. My guess is this is one of those puzzles where you know if you've gotten it. I have not had that aha moment, but I have gotten pretty far without shooting. Still, I think it's a lot of fun, and it appropriately has sort of a give up mechanism built in, that is, you certainly can win even if you do shoot.

As you figure out how you're going to edit it, perhaps consider the different difficulties as well. You mentioned doing health bonuses; well, that's something that could make it a lot more obvious on easy but less so on medium/hard or perhaps be absent from hard altogether.

3 hours ago, Clippy said:

@dei_eldren really enjoy your feedback. Map 32 is my first venture into custom monsters. I cheated and just changed the skin on Wolfenstien blue dude and made him drop rockets. My wife filmed the sound effects - I still find it hilarious! Ps I only changed monster placement in map 6 - all other maps were already adjusted accordingly for difficulty settings. And please fanboy away I won't stop ya :D - I tried to balance these maps out well and put more effort into monster placement and usage than anything else. I worry the final 20s may be too hard but we'll see. Thanks so much buddy you made my day

Returned to tell you that the balancing worked in my opinion pretty well, got up to map26 with only a few deaths (ok, the Paradise level required several attempts, but i didn't notice there was plasma, and then circlestrafing was pretty easy thanks to the health given!).  Also, give my best to your wife, because my favourite maps - there's not been any boring map here though - have been the ones with her influence cause their themes are just so out of the box :D  The Shopping Mall and cat, cat, cat Catipillar (really proud of getting the secret there, and completing it without deaths).  From 'your' levels i should mention Inescapable Pits the movie and Ghosts.  i don't really think of this as Doom, though, but as a spin-off game.  You've made these fast but you've also really known what to spend the time on, theming and making sure the gameplay remains polished and is balanced, minimizing influence of luck.  i'm just genuinely impressed with the set cause i generally am a vanilla-Doom kind of person (though, even more so with myself for getting so far already... :P )

Thanks to you buddy for creating these.