Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AnthonyTankHD

DOOM IS BY FAR THE MOST ADDICTIVE GAME THAT I PLAYED

cause on why doom is so addictive in fact that you could create your own levels and make your own mods and stuff just a click of a button. The community is so so strong and so great compare to other games. That what made me love doom even more cause of map making and the modding and just the community as a whole in general and all thanks to John carmack to make doom a open source game cause you don't see that in other games as much

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I’m kinda weirded out that I barely ever get bored of it.

I have lulls where I don't play it for long periods, but I don't think it's that I get bored of Doom, it's just that another game will peak my interest for a bit and so I don't have time to ALSO play Doom during that time.  When I do finally get bored with whatever other game I was playing I always end up right back here.

I agree I've been playing doom since I was 10 or 11 which was almost a decade and a half ago

the games and the amount of wads/mods... ill never get bored of Doom

6 hours ago, AnthonyTankHD said:

cause on why doom is so addictive in fact that you could create your own levels and make your own mods and stuff just a click of a button. The community is so so strong and so great compare to other games. That what made me love doom even more cause of map making and the modding and just the community as a whole in general and all thanks to John carmack to make doom a open source game cause you don't see that in other games as much

I can't believe I wasted so much time elsewhere to be honest, and I'm really upset with myself for not discovering this community much sooner. I've spent so many years chasing newer titles or at the free to play grinding wheel. I would play the first few levels of doom 2 every few years for a trip down memory lane, but that's about it. I played a little brutal doom years ago just for a laugh but never considered digging deeper.

Watching Gmanlives on YouTube (combined with being in a rut with my newer games) has made me resolute to come back and play through all the old shooters from my youth. Inevitably I ended up here and holy shit, I was floored. So much activity and content all built up around a game most would consider ancient history!

I'm forcing myself to do all the vanilla playthroughs first, but holy hell I'm chomping at the bit to get into PWADS. That's the term for player made level packs right? (Plz no bully I'm new)

34 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I think there was some literal demonic magic or curse embedded into the game or something. Has to be.

Fun windows Easter egg, the port 666 is still reserved for doom in the configuration files for Windows, even in windows 10. I found it yesterday while Googling windows Easter eggs. It's in the "c:\windows\system 32\drivers\etc\hosts" file iirc. May be old news for you old heads here, but I thought it was cool when I discovered it.

Edited by DollarStoreChili

24 minutes ago, DollarStoreChili said:

I'm forcing myself to do all the vanilla playthroughs first, but holy hell I'm chomping at the bit to get into PWADS. That's the term for player made level packs right? (Plz no bully I'm new)

Welcome aboard, pal!

Hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Yes, PWAD, that comes from Patch WAD, is the term use for mostly levelpacks or a few gameplay mods made for vanilla doom.
Backthen, most gameplay modifications were implemented and mean to be use with an especific mapset, so usually you would found the ''mapset.wad'' file and another one called ''mapset.deh'' file.

You have to load both of this at the same time to be able to play it properly.

Do note that, depending on the source-port you are using, not all PWADs are supported.

for example, chocolate doom is a modern Source-port that replicates the behaviour of the original doom as it was played on the old DOS environmet from old PCs.

So chocolate-doom doesn't support mapsets made on limit-removing, boom/mbf, or UDMF mapping formats.

To know on what format is the PWAD you downloaded, you should read the .txt that comes in the .zip.

There is should say if it need an advance engine to play it or not.

On the other hand, GZDoom is a source-port that its not vanilla acurrate, but let you play Doom with a lot of new features and with a lot of eyecandy, and it reproduce almost anything you want to play on it.

As a matter of fact, there is no ''correct way'' to play doom, except the one you most enjoy.

There are people still on this forum with account registration dates from more than 20 years ago, who still have a passion for this game. That alone speaks volumes.

Doom was created almost 30 years ago, yet it's still more fun to play than most modern shooters, or even most modern games for that matter. It's a testament to just how well-designed it is.

I may get burned out on playing DOOM from time to time, but I always wind up coming back to it for more when I’m in the mood.

I must be weird, cause I get bored of Doom a lot; doesn't help that I have a hate love relation with fpses. But Doom II is still my favorite game.

Life advice no one asked for: don't idealize anyone or any group, it only leads to heartbreak.

I'd just recommend taking a break for a few months every now and then. I've been replaying the IWADs after a long break and even that's been a blast. Looking forward to discovering some new maps.

You're actually in serious trouble.

I've been playing Doom since 93' and I still can't stop (I've been stuck on this island for almost 3 decades, ffs send help). It might seem great now, but just give it a while and see what happens when you try to break up with it.

Seriously though, the community and Wads/maps really help to keep it rolling. Other than a single long hiatus (2010-2019) I have been bashing away at it since it came out. I do take the occasional break though, but it's never for long. Real life is the only thing that causes me to take a break for any longer than 1 or 2 months.

I'm not saying everyone will stick with it for that long, but it does have a serious yank to it and it will pull you back in again and again. I heartily suggest sampling every aspect of Doom, from vanilla to GzDoom stuff. 

I go back and forth between them, although I do tend to have a soft spot for classic style maps and Wads. 

Variety is the spice of life and all that. Enjoy!

Well, if you spend most of your day playing all kinds of wad like me, there will be eventually a point when it gets too tiring and boring.

Just kidding, no one is gonna do that.(except for me probably)

I mean, many old-school games have incredibly faithful communities and I'm not even sure Doom is by far and away the best (I'm pretty sure Unreal has a fairly strong community for instance) but I haven't played hardly anything else other than Doom and Quake in months.

10 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I mean, many old-school games have incredibly faithful communities and I'm not even sure Doom is by far and away the best (I'm pretty sure Unreal has a fairly strong community for instance) but I haven't played hardly anything else other than Doom and Quake in months.

Out of all the old games I know, Doom is probably the biggest and most active one. You see dozens of new WADs each week on DW alone. Unreal (another of my favorite games) is really living on a thread. Very-very small community, but yes, still active. You sadly don't see as much ''spotlight'' from it.

Doom is very addictive because of the obvious gameplay reasons, but what did it for me was the gigantic sea of content and community activity. That's what hooked me in. The playthrough clubs, the review events, the challenge events, the competitions, the speedrun and even the Youtube content. Doom is always by my side.

Always.

Spoiler

Pls send help

4 minutes ago, Endless said:

Out of all the old games I know, Doom is probably the biggest and most active one. You see dozens of new WADs each week on DW alone. Unreal (another of my favorite games) is really living on a thread. Very-very small community, but yes, still active. You sadly don't see as much ''spotlight'' from it.

Doom is very addictive because of the obvious gameplay reasons, but what did it for me was the gigantic sea of content and community activity. That's what hooked me in. The playthrough clubs, the review events, the challenge events, the competitions, the speedrun and even the Youtube content. Doom is always by my side.

Always.

Hide contents

Pls send help

Yeah, just for comparison, the Marathon community seems to have largely stopped making new content for all intents and purposes, despite the well-received nature of things like Rubicon, and while I might see a discussion or two every few weeks in their reddit or on the Marathon Bungie forums, I doubt they have many tournaments and things. I would call it sad, but then, I've really had little time for that game lately, however much I might like it.

On 7/10/2021 at 10:44 PM, PSXDoomer said:

JUST HOOK IT TO MY VEINS.

I like to download top rated Doom wads, put them into floppy discs, grind the discs into powder form and then snort that shit until I start running outside gunning all the demons!