Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gore

What do you think of Final Doom.

In my opinion, Final Doom should have stayed as a mod, then ID software bought it. In my opinion, I like Final Doom because of the difficulty, but no new monsters, guns, or anything new, except the maps.

As mapsets, they're excellent! Plutonia was, in my opinion, the first truly great megaWAD. As commercial projects they probably weren't worth it, but since they're included with modern re-releases of Doom II it doesn't matter.

I don't like Final Doom as a whole, but I do love the Plutonia experiment. A prime example of sadistic encounter design...and revenants. SO.MANY. REVENANTS. 

if final doom never existed then plutonia wouldnt either

while tnt was hoing to be a mod first plutonia was made especifically for final doom and while these wads arent amazing for today standards they dont need to be they are still great in their own

as much as i hate the fact that final doom is just two mods sold for money, without it the current modding scene would be completely different. so, i like it i guess?

I like TNT til about Map12, and then I fall off a bit.

I like Plutonia the entire way through, though.

Still, both are very good  megaWADs.

4 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

plutonia was made especifically for final doom

just a little inaccurracy on that statement.

Truth is that Casali Bros. worked on  TNT: Evilution as part of Team TNT, but they were working on their own project, at that moment, without name.

They showed the 8 maps they had of it to McGee and he was impressed by the quality of those map, so they give the bros a greenlight to work on the rest of the maps.

So it started as their own project, and the pressure for releasing it as soon as possible, as the window of oportunity to publish it was very stretch, make it the rip-off fest with great gameplay we all know and love today.

Probably if they had the time to work on it without pressure, Plutonia would had never existed or even could be something totally different.

HARD, for sure, as Punisher and some maps on Memento Mori and other released wad show their craftmanship for good mapping.

But i doubt it would be as we know it.

Edited by P41R47 : typo

I like both mapsets but I think alot of people need to come to terms with the fact that Final Doom is just two fan-made megawads sold for money. Luckily you can just get them with Doom 2 these days so that's cool.

they're great expansions/megawads/whatever you want to call them. they're great demonstrations of two primary schools of map design - atmosphere-focused (TNT) and gameplay-focused (plutonia) - forking off pretty early. they are just fan works, for sure, but both way ahead of the curve. i feel like doom and doom 2 laid the groundwork while final doom really defined what doom is. as far as design goes, there are far more echoes of tnt/plut in modern works than there are of the base game and that's not without good reason.

i like the concept, and i like TNT.  If id had had more time/resources they should've released more level packs, imo.

1 hour ago, Gore said:

In my opinion, Final Doom should have stayed as a mod

I believe you are referring specifically to TNT: Evilution which was bought by id right before it was about to release.  Plutonia on the other hand, would probably not even exist in it's current form if not for Final Doom, and since I enjoy Plutonia a lot more than Evilution, I would prefer things happen just as they did.

While they are basically fan-wads you pay money for, I do appreciate that they are and were pretty accessible wads that got some people to try more stuff if they otherwise wouldn't have. With TNT I do sometimes wonder how it would have been if it weren't bought as a final commercial product. Like, would it have gotten some sort of revision if it weren't bought out which sometimes when playing I feel like a revision would have helped it greatly. That aside though, we wouldn't have gotten Plutonia in the state that it is without Final Doom so I guess a nice tradeoff. I dunno, I'm 20 years late for that discussion.

Plutonia as we know it wouldn’t exist, so even though I have a love/hate relationship with that wad, it would suck ass if it didn’t exist. I know a handful of the maps already existed, but they would have remained single-map releases and wouldn’t be nearly as well known.

If I was in id’s shoes circa 1995/1996, Final Doom would have just been Memento Mori 1 and 2. I feel like that’s a much more consistent package. I played MM before I ever played Final Doom so maybe that’s why, but I feel like it had a lot more impact, largely because the soundtrack was so high quality and all-new, but I think the mapping of MM is higher quality on the whole than that of TNT as well. (Not to rip on poor ol TNT or anything, but it hits some lows..)

6 minutes ago, BaileyTW said:

I dunno, I'm 20 years late for that discussion.

25 years old the june 17th especifically.

But don't worry, its never late to discuss things.

As for me, i expressed my opinion way more times than i remember about this, actually.

But its the same one as @msx2plus

I love Final Doom because when I was younger and had only played Doom 1 and 2, discovering there was another official Doom out there blew my mind and I had to play it.

I like it because without the TNT evilution rights getting bought by id we would have never gotten plutonia.

Honestly I find Plutonia more fun than both Doom 1 and 2. TNT is also tons of fun but I just don't find it as replayable, since it does drag a bit too much for my taste towards the half point.

It contains the best IWAD, and the most interesting IWAD. How can I hate it?

I had a lower opinion of Final doom until I sat down and played plutonia.  It's not actually that hard.  Once you understand how traps are setup the wad becomes much easier.

to quote civvie "we may never have gotten gud without the plutonia experiment" 

tnt is kinda boring tho, but its still ok