Find results in...
OniriA

Italy Wins the Euro Cup 2020!

Viva Italia! Viva Roma!

The Romans have conquered again!

Now time to order some:

Spoiler

pizza-638x425.jpg

Fuck, it was such a butt clench till the very end. Hard but very deserved.

Glad the Cups going to Italy.

Good results for both the Copa America (I gather Messi made a huge impact at every game aside from the final, and that trophy was huge for him - crazy for Di Maria to be the one to score that important goal, though!) and the Euros over the weekend. Obviously as an Englishman (although I'd probably say "Londoner" or "Brit" first) I'd rather "my" team would've won, but Italy played the better game for long enough to make the eventual, inevitable penalties result seem like the right outcome. I'm happy to see a strong second-place finish and the final game be a close one, though. Also glad to see the utter sense of defeat and deflation ripple through the local branch of England's ubiquitous army of arsehole fans at my local park (where there was an outdoor screening - a touch rainy, but still good, aside from the arseholes) when that final penalty was saved. Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of people.

I reckon that was England's best shot for a long time, but with the World Cup next year and a little more experience, maybe we can see a decent placement (quarter-finals perhaps). Italy will need to replace some older players, so this trophy might be their last for a while as well. Seems like a fairly open field in Europe at the moment, so the champions of the world will probably be South American, is my guess.

Campioni d'Europa! 🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹

(I'm Italian)

Edited by Valboom

Congratulations!

Spoiler

My hype falls down when I think that there will be people arguing for this online, as like as the Eurovision results. People from Italy, mind you.

The only thing I have to say is...

How in the hell did so many own-goals occur?!?

2 hours ago, DSC said:

How in the hell did so many own-goals occur?!?

Well, after the long pandemic many players ran short on money, and the payment for own-goals was quite reasonable this year. :)

England must be having a real hangover Monday right now, I mean even around here there was this drab and grey, depressed atmosphere the following Monday when our team went out in the quarter finals. I can only imagine how it must feel like to go out in the finals on a hair's end, by twist of fate and in your own country!

Even though I was cheering for Italy, the way England was going in the 1st half (with a goal almost right off the bat) I almost thought this might not be their day and there was a real chance of them following up with a second one. It would most likely have been a done deal then for Italy so I knew they had to prevent England at making the 2nd one at all costs. It was relieving to see them come back as a real Roman legion during the 2nd half and finally turning it into a 1-1, throwing a spaghetti bolognese right into the Brits (lol Tom Cruise was in the crowd btw), after which it was just a long stalemate really. 

Enter the penalties, at one point both teams had scored 2 out of 5 shots with Italy having missed one. So England still had 3 attempts and Italy only 2. If Italy missed one those last 2 shots (which they did), England would only had to have scored 2 to win, but as things turned out they missed not one, not 2 but all 3 of their remaining shots, pulling Italy on the stage at Wembley and well, the rest is history.

It really was tense and unnerving till the very end so I think people did get their bang for their bucket time wise.

I'm glad Italy has something to celebrate now as they had a very hard past year and a half and suffered greatly under the current pandemic.

I think it's a very deserved and hard fought win and I'm curious how far they will come at the World Cup next year.

Based on the absolutely abhorrent behavior displayed by the Brits (And yes, i get that folks get very emotional given the 55 year dry spell between finals) fans both during matches (Near-constant booing) and after the game (UK's Finest taking it out on kids and kicking Asian folks on the head) im somewhat glad Italy won, as annoying as Itally is as a football team.

But:

Gareth Southgate should be given an award for the versatility of his coaching, being able to bring multiple styles to the team against different opponents. That shows a coach that is ready to innovate, but also carries the weight to unify the ego's.

His calm demeanor after losing, his delicate cheers when winning (Not outlandish) showed a great deal of stability and balance in a coach, a rare sight to see. Given that Southgate was relatively inexperienced before being main honcho of England, if anything else, the player of the cup should be Gareth Southgate. That, right there, was how a coach should be, always.

We chileans didn't even make it to semi-finals (American Cup), even though we won both cups back in 2015-2016, bad management, poor decisions, disappointment.

yearh yearh.. and danish football fans once again and as always... deluded themselves into thinking that we would win the european cup.. jeez... when will they learn that we as a country... suck at football?

we won ONCE... many years ago in 1992... once... we need to move on already

2 hours ago, CBM said:

we won ONCE... many years ago in 1992... once... we need to move on already

Gotta keep the dream alive, no?

They still made it pretty far this year, specially considering what happened to Emmerson. 

Even Ukraine made it quite far this time.

Had hoped to see a Eastern Euro country would end up in the finals for once and also would have liked to see a Ukraine vs Czech match (east vs western slav showdown) but alas, the Danes and Brits got in the way.

Edited by OniriA

11 minutes ago, OniriA said:

Gotta keep the dream alive, no?

They still made it pretty far this year, specially considering what happened to Emmerson. 

Even Ukraine made it quite far this time.

Had hoped to see a Eastern Euro country would end up in the finals for once and also would have liked to see a Ukraine vs Czech match (east vs western slav showdown) but alas, the Danes and Brits got in the way.

hehe I guess

3 hours ago, CBM said:

yearh yearh.. and danish football fans once again and as always... deluded themselves into thinking that we would win the european cup.. jeez... when will they learn that we as a country... suck at football?

Yo, Denmark outclassed us in qfinals and England beat you by an unfairly called penalty (shame on Rashford, the performative diver). Then England fans nearly blinded Schmeichel with a laser pointer. You guys were the exciting surprise of the tournament and that dynamic aggressive football was fun to watch!

4 hours ago, dew said:

Yo, Denmark outclassed us in qfinals and England beat you by an unfairly called penalty (shame on Rashford, the performative diver). Then England fans nearly blinded Schmeichel with a laser pointer. You guys were the exciting surprise of the tournament and that dynamic aggressive football was fun to watch!

Odd how they didnt check the fans before letting them in to the stadium

CAM ON INGERLUND 
loud banging of drum
SCOR SUM FACKIN GOALS
even louder banging of drum

Porier won

Argentina won

italy won

the good guys can’t stop winning. Best week in sports I’ve seen awhile

It is lovely to see that pretty much all the world cheered for us (Italy). On behalf of the italians, thank you!

5 hours ago, Scrabbs said:

the good guys can’t stop winning.

Well, Djokovic also won and he's the heel for a lot of tennis fans...

5 hours ago, Scrabbs said:

Best week in sports I’ve seen awhile

...yep, screw Nadal and Federer! Take away their record, Nole!

I'm a sports nerd and watched most of the tournament games. Cheered for Italy in the final like the rest of the continental Europe and really a well-deserved victory for them, they were the best team in the tournament (laughably crappy striker performances notwithstanding). They kept grinding their game through the playoff rounds till the end and it paid. Things were looking pretty dire in the first half of the final though, with England in the lead and honestly in perfect control of the game. Southgate's overly passive tactics and completely handing the ball over to Italy cost them in the second half and I mean, at that point you knew they gonna fail eventually. I'm sure they'll be back though, they have a good young team. Maybe refrain from excessive diving next time though...

Happy to have witnessed Finland playing in a major tournament in my lifetime too, and with the notorious Finnish attacking prowess on full display. Next tournament we'll have five shots on goal!