Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Murdoch

Question: Changing Text Strings

Am working on Caverns of Darkness 2.0 and trying to implement the changes we made to keys. We changed the skull keys to different coloured key cards. I can update the pickup messages for the keys, but doing searches for the "you need an xx key to activate this object" only returns the executable. They don't seem to exist in the EDF files. There is a reference for updating strings with EDF, however, I cannot seem to connect how I can use this to update those strings, if indeed it can at all. Do I need to use a DEH patch instead?

I believe you can specify custom messages for door and object activation as part of a key's pickup definition.

11 hours ago, Quasar said:

I believe you can specify custom messages for door and object activation as part of a key's pickup definition.

I thought so too. Didn't seem to work. Ill take another look.

1 hour ago, NokturnuS said:

Maybe you should look in the EDF Lockdefs in the Wiki (https://eternity.youfailit.net/wiki/EDF_lockdefs). Don't remember if applies to existing keys or only to new defined ones.

Yeah i found that. Suspecting the answer may be to redefine them as entirely new locks and updating the maps instead of replacing the old ones.

The problem with new keys (or any new artifact I think) is that you can't see them on the staus bar. You pick'em and thats it. They work but there's no sign in the GUI that you had them.

1 hour ago, NokturnuS said:

The problem with new keys (or any new artifact I think) is that you can't see them on the staus bar. You pick'em and thats it. They work but there's no sign in the GUI that you had them.

Ah. Drat.