Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Something wrong with my sound

You all know I bought Ultimate doom which came with thy flesh consumed AND heretic AND an ultimate Doom poster as well. I'm having problems with the sound though ever since I installed it it's been crackly. I have a Soundblaster live sound card and don't know what the crap is up with it. It works fine with everything else obviously. What ports do I need to pick? As well as IRQ's and how many sounds to mix, etc so that it will work right.

gatewatcher said:

Are you using Doom.exe [on windows XP]??? If you are, don't. Get Zdoom.

Or Win98.

If you want to have the sound card work correctly for DOS applications, you might have to load sbeinit, usually in your autoexec.bat file. That "sound blaster emulation" driver is always loaded on my Win98 machine and I have no problems with the sound in Duke3d, Shadow Warrior or Blood. Can't say about doom.exe and such since I always use Zdoom. There should not be a problem setting as many "voices" or sounds to use as the game allows.

As far as IRQ and DMA settings, you can look at your Control Panel, System, Device manager, and check the properties of your sound card. Look at the resources assigned to it, you should see the IRQ and DMA channels. Sometimes there is a "Set Blaster" environment variable which contains the information. I don't think your games need that variable assigned though, but I can see my settings by simply typing set at the DOS prompt.

Sorry if any of this is not correct, I'm not on that machine right now, I'll check back here later if I get better information.

Biffy said:

If you want to have the sound card work correctly for DOS applications, you might have to load sbeinit, usually in your autoexec.bat file. That "sound blaster emulation" driver is always loaded on my Win98 machine and I have no problems with the sound in Duke3d, Shadow Warrior or Blood.

Exactly what commands do we put in the autoexec.bat? (as this could be useful)

I have Doom 2 (downloaded it) and use zdoom and it works, I was planning to get Zdoom for this as well, that being said, where can I download zdoom, I can't remember where I got it last time. Also, I have xp pro

Why do I keep thinking "Questions forum" while reading this thread? Stupid voices in my head...

Opulent said:

If you want to play DOOM the way it was intended, get PrBoom, not zdoom.

You do know that all the gameplay differences in ZDoom versus doom(2).exe have now been eradicated, right? There's even a compatability menu where you can switch on/off things like maximum of 20 lost souls per pain Elemental, silent pick-ups, infinitely tall actors, silent bfg, wall running, etc.

ZDoom, at least for me, feels more like Doom than PrBoom does, simply because PrBoom's mouse control isn't smooth enough.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Exactly what commands do we put in the autoexec.bat? (as this could be useful)

You should have a file in your SB install directory called sbeinit.com. It gets loaded in your autoexec.bat Mine looks like this:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

I think those are all the SB relevant entries.

I have no problem running Doom.exe under win 98 with my sblive!

It's worth pointing out that some versions of the drivers will have different settings in a dos box under windows than they do from a dos boot.

Start a dos box under windows and type set to return all your environment variables, which should include your SB settings.

If you simply delete the config file created by doom setup, and then run setup, it usually autodetects the correct settings. At least it does for me.

Of course, all this is with win 98. If XP is the operating system, I have no idea.

Only thing worth adding might be that, in the Windows device manager, checking properties of Creative Miscellaneous Devices, Creative SB16 emulation, I see IRQ 9 named as a setting. In the Duke3d sound setup menu, IRQ 9 is not a valid choice. IRQ 2 works when selected.

Fredrik said:

ZDoom, at least for me, feels more like Doom than PrBoom does, simply because PrBoom's mouse control isn't smooth enough.

Yes, this is true, since I stopped installing the DOS driver at (Windows) startup the mouse feels the same in doom and in zdoom (zdaemon in my case.) Prboom seems to use another base (SDL?) for the mouse response and I've always felt it is too "stiff."

I've never had a problem with mouse response in PrBoom. However I do have the occasional problem of the game firing when I press the right mouse button (which is set for move forward). It doesn't happen that often but moving about with the rocket launcher selected gets interesting at times :) I have no idea why it would do that. There's nothing wrong with my mouse and it doesn't do it with the original .exe or any other port.

stphrz said:

However I do have the occasional problem of the game firing when I press the right mouse button (which is set for move forward).

Are you sure that double-clicking the button isn't bound to firing?

Bloodshedder said:

Are you sure that double-clicking the button isn't bound to firing?

You can set double clicking as a method of input? O_o

You can't set double-clicking separately like that on prboom (maybe on zdoom you could.) Double-clicking only works like in doom; if you set a mouse button as "forward" you can double-click for "use." I've had a problem like the one stphrz describes... but not lately.

Bloodshedder said:

Yes, of course. Even doom(2).exe could do that.

Well yeah, I do remember that being in doom95 (I think), but I didn't realize such a worthless feature that will only prove to be a pain be implemented into any source ports.

Don't be silly, meephead. That feature was not reimplemented or anything but carried on unchanged in the "true boom" engines, since these naturally try to stay relatively true to the original game. In other engines (well, I can think only of zdoom in this respect on the fly, as far as my experience goes) it works a bit differently; you can't for instance stack movement and "use" on a single button with the double-clicking feature, because the effects of single and double clicking are not simultaneous (the player stops moving if you do "use.") In doom's case the double-clicking feature was included to give more potential to the mouse within the standardized and predefined options given, whereas in zdoom it's just for completeness and configurability, as you can set any function to any key or button.

nxn said:

Well yeah, I do remember that being in doom95 (I think), but I didn't realize such a worthless feature that will only prove to be a pain be implemented into any source ports.

Doom95 pwnz.

Begin flaming.