Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

Is it possible to get the Duke Nukem soundtrack from the 20th Anniversary World Tour edition?

There are a lot of OGG and MIDI files in the game's directory, so I was curious if I could copy and convert them so I can play them outside the game. I'm not sure which ones are music either, so it might help to find any information about the soundtrack I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 minute ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Isn't that the music for Episode 5?

Yes. Is that not what you were looking for?

2 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Yes. Is that not what you were looking for?

Not quite. I'm looking for all the original tracks plus the new ones.

Oh, right. I keep forgetting that the original tracks were remixed as well.

I do not think I can help you there. Sorry. At least, you got some of them!

3 hours ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I honestly couldn't tell you, I don't know if it is myself.

Technically speaking, it's not legal. Neither Bobby Prince nor I see a dime off of "reworks" like this. For that matter, the only part of the soundtrack that I do see a dime for is the part from episode 5, covered in my Calibrations album, mentioned earlier. I never got royalties on the original 4 episodes.

16 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Technically speaking, it's not legal. Neither Bobby Prince nor I see a dime off of "reworks" like this. For that matter, the only part of the soundtrack that I do see a dime for is the part from episode 5, covered in my Calibrations album, mentioned earlier. I never got royalties on the original 4 episodes.

Concerning the Episode 5 music, do you get royalties for it from sales of Duke 3D or directly from Bandcamp? Is there a respectable way to get the stuff you and Bobby Prince made?

13 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Should we try to report this to Bandcamp or at least inform the person that what they are doing is kind of shitty?

13 hours ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Concerning the Episode 5 music, do you get royalties for it from sales of Duke 3D or directly from Bandcamp? Is there a respectable way to get the stuff you and Bobby Prince made?

I don't get royalties from the Episode 5 music, but I do get all the net profits off of the sales of the Calibrations album on Bandcamp and from sales of the Calibrations CD on Amazon. I don't know about Bobby's album of Duke Nukem 3D music - you'd have to track him down and ask him.

Is there a "respectable" way to get all of the Duke Nukem 3D stuff Bobby and I made? Other than buying the game itself, I don't know of one. I don't have the right to release my Episode 1-4 music on CD or through Bandcamp, and to my knowledge no one with the rights ever has released the songs outside of the game in a single fell swoop.

22 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Should we try to report this to Bandcamp or at least inform the person that what they are doing is kind of shitty?

Eh, leave them be. I can't DMCA every single violation (especially in cases where I don't have the right), and I don't condone cyber-dogpiling on others who might be infringing.

@leejacksonaudio Fair enough! I just thought I'd ask.

Just so we are clear, I had no intention of dogpiling the person; at most, I was thinking of sending them a polite email. I doubt this person is evil or anything - even if it is weird that they would be selling what seems to be slightly reworked versions of material that do not belong to them rather than just distributing them for free.

3 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

I don't get royalties from the Episode 5 music, but I do get all the net profits off of the sales of the Calibrations album on Bandcamp and from sales of the Calibrations CD on Amazon. I don't know about Bobby's album of Duke Nukem 3D music - you'd have to track him down and ask him.

Is there a "respectable" way to get all of the Duke Nukem 3D stuff Bobby and I made? Other than buying the game itself, I don't know of one. I don't have the right to release my Episode 1-4 music on CD or through Bandcamp, and to my knowledge no one with the rights ever has released the songs outside of the game in a single fell swoop.

Eh, leave them be. I can't DMCA every single violation (especially in cases where I don't have the right), and I don't condone cyber-dogpiling on others who might be infringing.

I'm not in a position to get anything off Amazon currently, but I'll definitely get Calibrations there when I'm able to, since I collect CDs anyway and it benefits you to some degree. As for the rest of the Duke 3D music, it's in the game files, so I can copy and convert those. Feels wrong to do so, though. Thanks for your input and that Amazon link, I appreciate it!

7 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

As for the rest of the Duke 3D music, it's in the game files, so I can copy and convert those. Feels wrong to do so, though.

Why? You bought the game.

Just now, Rudolph said:

Why? You bought the game.

True, but I guess it just feels like I'm stealing since Lee and possibly Bobby don't get anything from that, when they should. 

They made music for the game, you bought the game, seems pretty straightforward to me. It seems like a modern invention, to buy a product and only be allowed to do some things with it.

1 hour ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

True, but I guess it just feels like I'm stealing since Lee and possibly Bobby don't get anything from that, when they should. 

Use the ingame soundtrack, buy Calibrations to support Lee, buy the linked album that Bobby put out to support him, simple.

6 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Use the ingame soundtrack, buy Calibrations to support Lee, buy the linked album that Bobby put out to support him, simple.

I forgot someone posted a link to Bobby's stuff, but that seems like the best way to support both of them given the situation. 

6 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

...but I do get all the net profits off of the sales of the Calibrations album on Bandcamp...

Really? That's good to know.

1253937985_Screenshot2021-07-14212120.png.283affc3b0b55cff554262d691c574ab.png

It's a shame you can't put the rest of the game OST up, I'd buy them off you and Bobby instantly.

Bandcamp is the only way that I buy soundtracks these days, its good to know that no greedy label scoops up most of the money.

1 minute ago, Devalaous said:

Bandcamp is the only way that I buy soundtracks these days, its good to know that no greedy label scoops up most of the money.

I've never really used Bandcamp, apart from when I won a copy of the Prodeus OST. Is it safe and reliable to use?

Just now, DavetheDoomguy said:

I've never really used Bandcamp, apart from when I won a copy of the Prodeus OST. Is it safe and reliable to use?

Yes, I personally add an extra layer of security by using PayPal and not my card but it is reliable, safe and a great way to support artists.

Definitely. Its what Aubrey Hodges uses as well for the Playstation Doom/N64 Doom/N64 Quake soundtracks, as well as his own personal projects. The soundtracks for many Doom wads are up their too, so doomworld musicians also use it.

3 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Definitely. Its what Aubrey Hodges uses as well for the Playstation Doom/N64 Doom/N64 Quake soundtracks, as well as his own personal projects. The soundtracks for many Doom wads are up their too, so doomworld musicians also use it.

When I have some money to buy stuff, I'll see if I can set up an account there and get me some OST's

7 hours ago, Rudolph said:

@leejacksonaudio Fair enough! I just thought I'd ask.

Just so we are clear, I had no intention of dogpiling the person; at most, I was thinking of sending them a polite email. I doubt this person is evil or anything - even if it is weird that they would be selling what seems to be slightly reworked versions of material that do not belong to them rather than just distributing them for free.

It is also improbable they are making much money off of it.