Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnknDoomer

The oldest active Doom member

On 7/14/2021 at 1:27 PM, SynDoom said:

I'm probably the youngest. Currently 15 years old.

Second youngest. I'm 14.5 =P

Edited by Wavy

1984 might have been a year feared by many, but it was the year I was born.

26 here. First saw my dad playing Doom when I was 4 - 1999, Started playing Doom/2 in 2000/2001, started playing WADs in 2006, and started mapping only this year in 2021!

My dad still plays Doom to this day, but he doesn't have an account here, (that I know of)...lol

Since this has turned into more of a 'share your age' thread, I'm 40 -- been playing DOOM since maybe about 1996? (It was the PlayStation 1 version, in Europe; that year feels kinda right somehow) and mapping since 1999; late to the party at the time, I had no idea the scene would endure as much as it has! Indeed, when I joined this forum in my twenties way back when, I felt like one of the inexperienced kids on the block! (Still do, kinda, which is weird)

Also, as an aside, I literally saw the millennium in playing DOOM. Nice.

I'm 33 and about turning 34

I remember when played PSX Doom on '99 for the first time and learning about DooM having map editors, my dream was to make my own Doom level, I had lots of ideas for that. When I got a pc almost 10 years later and a map editor... My map making inspiration and ideas were long gone... Never finished a single one lol

I'm not planning to stop dooming anytime soon, I expect of keep playing it for more and more years XD

2 hours ago, Teo Slayer said:

Damn, I am 16 and I don't know if I am the first youngest

Spoiler

I'm 10 years old ;)

There's also Chip, who first joined Doomworld when he was 13.

I am one score rotations and five moons of age. Younger, perhaps, than one might expect given my curmudgeony demeanor ;)

I should get back on topic. A year ago Eris said his grandfather still played DOOM. His grandfather is now 90 and played DOOM 2016 when he was 88. I imagine he is the oldest DOOM Player. 

On 8/1/2020 at 12:09 AM, Eris said:

Late reply but it was my granddad who introduced me to Doom (5, 2002 to answer the thread question). Last year he was playing Doom 2016, and last week he turned 89.

i ain't super (commander) keen about telling people my age, but I will say that I'm still in high school. In fact, it starts this monday.

Spoiler

i hate everything send help please i don't want to go physically i don't want to be with 1000 other students and get the c ;w;

I'm 16, but I'll turn 17 in november, so, yeah, I'm almost an adult, just one year and three months :D

Yeah, yeah, I already posted here, but, whatever.

My body is 32, my brain is somewhere in my early 20s and I feel like I am about 80 overall. Does that count?

On 8/7/2021 at 8:12 PM, Jayextee said:

mapping since 1999; late to the party at the time, I had no idea the scene would endure as much as it has! Indeed, when I joined this forum in my twenties way back when, I felt like one of the inexperienced kids on the block! (Still do, kinda, which is weird)

It blows me away that mapping since 2001 makes me one of the “longer term” mappers around. Compared to me you’re a true-blue OG - you have that 90s mapper cred!

People newer to the scene likely lump 1999 almost in with the early pioneers, even though there’s a 5 year gap.. I guess because 5 years “late” seems flat out early compared to a 28 year (and counting) lifespan, with new mappers joining the gold every day.. it’s really an amazing phenomenon.

I’m so glad all the people saying “Doom is dead, there’s no point” back in the early 00s were wrong.. It’s been cool watching the community gradually grow slowly but surely since then. I thought I was late to the party, turns out I joined at Doom’s “lowest low” in terms of popularity and just got to watch it slowly on the up and up since, multiplayer aside. I’m so thankful for Doom 16/Eternal and even Doom3 a bit back in the day keeping the name relevant from decade to decade. Great gateways to funnel new fans back to the classics!

Well I’m 52, a year younger than John Romero.

When Doom came out I was almost out of college and I played it for many years, and then life got in the way and I took a long hiatus. Now I’m back enjoying it more than ever.

I remember in the computer lab in college I would always sign on to the mainframe and play around. That's how I found out about Doom.

Edited by TheGreenZap

On 7/20/2021 at 6:45 AM, HavoX said:

1984 might have been a year feared by many, but it was the year I was born.

1984 kids unite! 

I always enjoy these threads to see the sheer variety of people here. We have 13 year olds rubbing shoulders with 65 year olds half a world away, of all manner of race, gender and creed. Hooray for Doom!

I'm 37 and while I've been playing Doom ever since it came out, I'm still a big casual at it. As a kid I'd play on I'm Too Young to Die and when I wanted to feel badass, I'd enable cheats and play on Ultra-Violence. Good thing I got tired of this at some point and decided to play on higher difficulties legit while finding this way more fun.

I'm 37 and also born in 1984. I was about 10 when I first played Doom, and I was 16 when I joined this site.  I remember posting here after I finished my work in my high school html class.

On 8/11/2021 at 3:20 AM, Bauul said:

1984 kids unite! 

I always enjoy these threads to see the sheer variety of people here. We have 13 year olds rubbing shoulders with 65 year olds half a world away, of all manner of race, gender and creed. Hooray for Doom!

Yes, nothing brings people of all races, creeds, religions, gender and sexuality together quite like the wholesome art of violent large scale demon genocide.

Edited by Murdoch

I don't feel quite that old anymore at 29 after reading this thread. I've got an old man's eyes though, so most of you probably see better than I do.

I was maybe 5 or 6 when I first saw and played Terminator : Future Shock, which was really cool, and then eventually Quake 2, which was even cooler because it was gory and had miniguns. Goldeneye 64 was also really cool, it too had miniguns (and some mild gore), and more importantly the guns sounded really punchy and incredible, with impressive muzzle flashes and tracers, really accelerating my young fascination with firearms. It got me into James Bond, too.

Then one day I walked in on my brother and his friend playing a game, I didn't know what it was, but he was fighting a big and mean skeleton, shooting it once with a double barreled shotgun, producing a big red muzzleflash (from both barrels) and a heavy thump of a report, then he breaks the action open, inserts new shells, and closes it, as the big skeleton collapses on the floor.

It was like a mix of some Wild West stuff I'd seen in movies and cartoons, but also the cool menacing horror monsters I had seen in Diablo. There was also miniguns and big mean muscled satyr demons with horns.

It was love at first sight, this was one of the coolest things I had ever seen. My brother tried to shoo me out of the room, he thought it was way too violent for me, I disagreed, and wanted to keep watching.

With some bickering back and forth for a few days, my brother came up with a compromise, I could play Doom 2, but with a Simpsons Doom mod, replacing the scary demons with cartoon characters shouting funny voice lines and with silly cartoon gore. This was ok with me, because I loved The Simpsons and thought it was really funny (even if at least half the jokes flew over my little head), and I actually didn't have the guts to play Doom 2 otherwise, much less without cheats, as it was too scary.

Eventually I'd grow to do so.

I'm hardly the oldest, but I'm 39, my first copy of 'Knee Deep In The Dead' was a 5x7 inch floppy disc, I'd been playing Wolfenstein 3d before that, I'm certainly starting to feel old. It's weird that there are people who are as into this as I am who weren't even born when it came out. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, it's a testament to DOOM's enduring appeal, it's just weird to experience and makes me feel old.

32... no wait, 33? i think? yes. which is to say i think my brain is 60-70.

On 8/21/2021 at 2:38 PM, ChopBlock223 said:

big mean muscled satyr demons with horns.

It was love at first sight

s...same???