Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XBOX UNIDOS

Do you agree that Doom is becoming a "cute" game?

When I look at Classic Doom I have the impression that the game is visceral and violent, the cover art says by itself, however looking at the modern games like Doom 2016 and Eternal I feels like the game could be more graphic, but I feels like the game is kinda family friendly, and the demons are "cute", looking more like a Halo than what I expect from a Doom game.

Doom 3 for example, i feels like it's more scary and darker in comparison with Doom 2016 and Eternal including the Dlc. 

...No?

Doom's still a graphic violent game dude. And maybe it's just me but I thought the classic games (Doom, Doom 2, etc.) kinda had this b-movie campy charm to them, y'know something that isn't super serious and "visceral" as you call it.

The only reason the game may seem "family friendly" is because of shitposters using it for those Doomguy/Isabelle memes back when Eternal first came out.

In short, no, Doom is not becoming a "cute" game, not to me at least.

Ah yes, a grown muscular man in armor using big guns and ripping the limbs and guts off demons in hell while djent and industrial plays in the background, the epitome of cuteness and family-friendliness.

9 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Glances over at the hanging corpse prop with severed limbs and the texture man with his torso ripped open and blood splattered everywhere.

Manson family friendly, maybe.

Ed Gein's Family special service furniture :D

The obnoxious DLC content, "lore" and the idiotic nu-doom fanbase is what makes the franchise a bit different from the originals. but I don't think "cute" is the correct word for that. Actually, I find the demons cute since the first games tho. lol

Cute? Nah. Maybe silly is the better word.

I never really saw Doom as a horror game so I never focused on how scary the games are as a focal point, maybe with the exception of Doom 3. Granted I wasn't around for when the original Doom was first released, so I can't speak for how people percieved the game at that time.

i always found the demons to look cute and dumb and i actually think they look more like a threat on new doom (they also have some really disturbing lore behind some of them like the revs in 2016) but i dont think classic is all that different from new doom tonally

Have you somehow not seen like, any of the original Doom's enemies? Especially the Cacodemon? We get threads like these all the time here, acting like this is an "issue" exclusive to Doom Eternal or something, and it always seems to come from people who point at Doom 3 and go "yep, that's Doom" without considering anything else.

Also, judging by your profile picture you like Halo. Not a problem, I like Halo, but Halo has the Covenant Grunts. Grunts are designed to be these goofy, cutesy cartoon aliens that regularly flail around and run away from the player going "AAAAAAA" like a cartoon character. They have high pitched voices, stubby little arms, regularly engage in slapstick antics with each other, are laughably incompetent to the point of blowing themselves up by accident, and are about half the size of an ordinary adult human and about 1/3rd the size of Master Chief. It's fine and perfectly normal for ultra-violent M-rated FPS games to have cutesy, cartoony elements and it's perfectly fine and normal for you to appreciate those elements. Stop being so insecure.

4 hours ago, XBOX UNIDOS said:

When I look at Classic Doom I have the impression that the game is visceral and violent, the cover art says by itself, however looking at the modern games like Doom 2016 and Eternal I feels like the game could be more graphic, but I feels like the game is kinda family friendly, and the demons are "cute", looking more like a Halo than what I expect from a Doom game.

... what? Like... what?

The new games infinitely more graphic than the old. Everyone is allowed an opinion but this is demonstrably wrong. Family friendly games have a protagonist so strong and pissed off he literally tears his enemies to shreds with detailed and graphic animations? That's your idea of family friendly? And you think it's less graphic than classic doom?

Sorry i don't mean to be rude, really, but i honestly cannot wrap my head around anything you said. So i guess my response to your question is an unequivocal no. Doom 3 felt darker and scarier because thats what they wanted to try. The new Doom games are a homage to the original games so its not a valid comparison to make.

Edited by Murdoch

I suddenly feel compelled to make a Doom Eternal trailer with cheesy music and voice over talking about the new family friendly game from id software.

"Doom Eternal: fun for the whole family!"

*cut to arachnatron glory kill with the eyeball skewering*

Why do I feel like this post unintentionally borders on satire? Christ.

You bring up an entirely different game while trying to make a point about another one.

I understand that most people these days are desensitized to violence, including children, but how is grabbing a shotgun and blowing an imp to pieces family friendly? Personally I think that this opinion is rather backwards; the original doom is objectively less graphic in terms of violence compared to 2016 and eternal, so I'm not sure how you would even come up with this idea.

OP, I do not mean to offend you with my criticisms on your post, but why?

The only cute thing in Doom it's the fan art

This thread it's just boonkers...and satire?

11 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

beautiful little baby boy

I understood that reference. And i wish i didn't.

What are you saying... Doom is not getting cuter, it's getting better.

A lot better.

Oh yeah, impaled, hanging corpses (with bits removed from them) are very cute.

i genuinely can't tell if this is serious or not

if it is serious, then no, nobody agrees with that cuz it's a stupid thing to think. if anything, it's getting less cute, cuz idk about you but cacos, pain elementals and arachnotrons are adorable

33 minutes ago, Gore said:

What are you saying... Doom is not getting cuter, it's getting better.

A lot better.

this is a false statement

5 hours ago, XBOX UNIDOS said:

Doom 3 for example, i feels like it's more scary and darker in comparison with Doom 2016 and Eternal including the Dlc. 

That's like saying that Resident Evil is scarier than Halo, not really, but come on.

How is Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal cute? In any single way? Outside of maybe those toys collectables you can get I don't see much cuteness, it's extremely violent. It got a bunch of gore, demons being torn in half, and a long etc. If anything, Classic Doom doesn't feel as violent now as it did at the time, and the violence in the original games are completely outshined by the newer ones. 

And that Doom 3 comparison with Doom 2016 and Eternal, just know that Doom 3 wasn't aiming for the same violence as Doom 1, 2, and Final Doom, it was done purely for atmospherics. Doom 2016 and Eternal were built on pure action.

Yes, because sprites are definitely far less cute than polygon enemies.

Can we get a Picard facepalm react over here? This has to be one of the cringiest things I've seen in the past several months. That statement is just so wrong in so many ways, I can't even.

26 minutes ago, roadworx said:

i genuinely can't tell if this is serious or not

if it is serious, then no, nobody agrees with that cuz it's a stupid thing to think. if anything, it's getting less cute, cuz idk about you but cacos, pain elementals and arachnotrons are adorable

this is a false statement

When I mean better, I meant better violence, more gore, and overall quality.

If you don't agree with me, cool with me.