Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XBOX UNIDOS

Do you agree that Doom is becoming a "cute" game?

12 hours ago, TasAcri said:

None of it's violence and gore looks remotely disturbing or scary. Even those gore fest nests above. The tone simply isn't dark or scary at the slightest and the visuals are too bright and cartoony.

I mean, I agree that Doom Eternal is very bright-looking, and the blood and gore isn't insane, but the gore nests are terrifying. Especially when you go inside the super gore nest and many other places and you just see the floor covered in pale corpses. It looks like the Holocaust in there!

2 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

I think I can sorta see what you're saying here. I mean yeah, what was once shocking and intense rarely stays that way as games get better and better graphics. Take the original Mortal Kombat for example. In it's time it was so violent that it along with a few other games prompted the ESRB rating system to show up so that kids aren't exposed to extreme violence and sex and mature themes at a young age through media. Hell, a lot of the ports had blood taken out of it entirely (or am I thinking of MK 2 that had blood taken out of it in the SNES and Genesis ports?). Mortal Kombat was considered a very intense and violent game at the time. Now though, if you compare it with something like MK10 or MK11, it suddenly doesn't have the same weight as it did.

In that sense I do somewhat see what you're talking about. Doom at one point was one of the more violent video games out there. Now though, the violence doesn't seem that bad when compared to the Glory Kills and general look of Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. I can also understand where you are coming from when you say Doom 3 is darker and scarier than Doom 2016 and Eternal. Now, since I haven't played 2016 or Eternal, I can't agree or disagree with that but I do see why you might think that. I believe Doom 3 was made to be scarier and more horror focused than action. Every other Doom game was more focused on action than horror.

That being said, just because the graphics of Doom is outdated by modern standards doesn't mean that the violence and intensity that was in the game magically disappeared. The game still has things explode into lumps of meat, mangled corpses, intimidating monsters (not by looks but by gameplay. Who wouldn't be intimidated if they had to enter a room full of shotgunners with no armor and 20 Health) etc. I don't think I would call that "Family friendly" or "Cute". Clearly there has been some change in how we see Classic Doom. It's no longer the object of hatred of the "Video games cause monsters" crowd. People no longer point to Doom as being the thing that inspires jackasses to shoot up places.

I don't know if these are the right words for it but maybe "Respected" is a more accurate description for it? Like Doom is no longer the "Dude! You gotta play this new game! You wouldn't believe the kind of violence is in it! I'm talking splattered corpses, buckets of blood and guts all over the place and demons trying to claw your face off. You'll be blown away" Game. I think it's now more of a "Dude, you should give Doom a try if you like playing shooters. I played it and it was way more fun than I thought it would be. Even now it's a really really really good game." type of thing. It's no longer the cutting edge, hottest, goriest game. It's a game has managed to withstand the test of time and stayed just as fun as it was on release even though the graphics and the engine is 20 years old. I think this is the feeling you're getting from Doom.

tl;dr No Doom isn't becoming cute. People are just no longer treating it as an edgy cutting-edge game your parents don't want you to play and treating it as a fun game with rock solid mechanics that stayed fun even after decades have passed.

You got my point, I was saying that the game is very colourful and I feels like there's an attempt of making doom more family friendly with time, like Doom 3 very disturbing, Doom 2016 I'm not having nightmares anymore, TLOU 2 for example, i don't like TLOU but the game is pretty disturbing some times but I just don't feel this with the modern doom games and I feels like the game is becoming less and less disturbing to make it more palatable. 

Thank for all the replies, some people here are so meaning for no reason, I did not say the game is cute but Ive the impression the game is becoming more cute with time. 

The classic Doom was colourful but it was what we had in terms of technology at the time, I feels like the actual doom could be more darker, scary and disturbing, just as Doom 3 was, like classic doom was a game able to give me nightmares when I was kid, the same with the doom 3, but Doom Eternal and now with the DLCs I just feels like it's a alright game, not even that hard to swallow just kinda funny. 

1 minute ago, XBOX UNIDOS said:

Thank for all the replies, some people here are so meaning for no reason, I did not say the game is cute but Ive the impression the game is becoming more cute with time. 

The classic Doom was colourful but it was what we had in terms of technology at the time, I feels like the actual doom could be more darker, scary and disturbing, just as Doom 3 was, like classic doom was a game able to give me nightmares when I was kid, the same with the doom 3, but Doom Eternal and now with the DLCs I just feels like it's a alright game, not even that hard to swallow just kinda funny.  

AH! You were talking about the series as a whole. Here I thought you were saying that Classic Doom felt cute now and it didn't in the past. Guess I misunderstood the original post. Regarding whether Doom and other game franchises are becoming more and more tame and palatable with time, I cannot disagree or agree with that. I just haven't had much experience with modern games to make that call.

Cute? No.

Different in terms of overall vibe? Yes.

All Doom games blend b-movie horror sillyness with some - thematic and visual - darkness/violence.

Doom OG is a mid-'80s heavy metal album cover, nu-Doom is more "blockbuster-y" and "clean" in a way.

Doom has never taken itself THAT seriously. There are tons of instances in the franchise where tongue in cheek humour comes in to play.

"A chainsaw! Find some meat!" for example.

Heck, even in Doom 3, in one of the toilets you can find a huge Hershey log plugging up one the toilets. Who was the mystery clogger? We'll never know.

52 minutes ago, XBOX UNIDOS said:

maybe that's because you're not a literal child anymore

ofc it's gonna be scary when you're a kid, everything is scary as a kid. you're just realizing that, what you once thought was scary, isn't scary in the slightest.

While I can see the connection between Halo’s art style that you mentioned, I wouldn’t say it has become “cute” or kid friendly. Then again, when I first played the original Doom from 1993 back in the late 90s (it was among some of the first games I played), it was a very frightening game to me at the time. When I heard people didn’t see it that way, and looked at it as a power trip, I was a bit surprised by that, and as I got older I could see what they meant by that, but initially, it was a very scary and realistic game for me.

The new games, I think their art style could’ve been slightly better for sure, but it does what it needs to. It still has a bit of both elements, the horror and the power trip stuff, but I’d say it leans more on the power trip while the originals stayed somewhat neutral throughout (or at least in my experience, it was more up for interpretation by the player). Doom 3 sort of did the opposite. Focused on the horror side until the very end of the game, which turned a lot of people off. 

I think if Doom 2016 or DE had been the games I was introduced to first, I would’ve had a very similar reaction to them as I had with the first Doom. I would’ve thought the game was quite scary but it would’ve been why I’d keep pushing on to complete. Since I was much, much older when 2016 came out compared to Doom 1993, I felt the horror aspects were somewhat tame, but it’s still quite unsettling, especially in the hell areas of the new games. The blood and gore is also much more than the originals. 

7 hours ago, Skullhacker said:

I mean, I agree that Doom Eternal is very bright-looking, and the blood and gore isn't insane, but the gore nests are terrifying. Especially when you go inside the super gore nest and many other places and you just see the floor covered in pale corpses. It looks like the Holocaust in there!

Doesn't do it for me. DOOM 3 had a few similar "fleshy" scenes and these were far more effective IMO. Everything in Eternal is overdone and hyperbolic which makes it look silly and that affects the whole mood and tone. It looks like how a bunch of edgy teens would imagine a gory game.

Even the level architecture is hyperbolic, over decorative, with spikes on top of spikes and other fancy designs next to more fancy looking stuff. As if they had an unlimited budget of polygons and they had to use as much as they could to justify the powerful engine. So many areas look like they were designed to make you go "wow, look at those graphics" but when everything looks like that it becomes boring and more like a tech demo. It's very loud, bombastic, overly fancy, etc. Too busy trying it's best to impress me with it's visuals and edge. The definition of unsubtle.

I still like the game, it's just not scary or disturbing to me in the slightest.

While I do not disagree that Doom Eternal is a bright and colourful game and arguably a bit silly... becoming family friendly? Sorry but no. Just all the no. A game where you play a guy laying waste to legions of spawn from the depths of Hell itself, sometimes literally tearing them to shreds is never, ever going to be considered even slightly family friendly by anyone, and if I am wrong on that count I would be deeply concerned about that family. To suggest otherwise is really nothing more than you taking a stylistic change and extrapolating based more on your own fears than any actual hard evidence to come to a conclusion that could charitably and politely be called logically suspect and something far worse if I forgot my manners.

6 hours ago, roadworx said:

maybe that's because you're not a literal child anymore

ofc it's gonna be scary when you're a kid, everything is scary as a kid. you're just realizing that, what you once thought was scary, isn't scary in the slightest.

thats not necessarely truth.

Scary is not the same as disturbing.

As a kid i never felt scared while playing Doom or Mortal Kombat, maybe thrilled and excited. I have dreams of me blasting through piles of corpses, and yes, waking up screaming while dying at a Cyberdemon's rocket in my face.

But what this guy is implying, is that he doesn't felt disturbed by the new games, while the old ones, disturbed him.

By disturbing, i will use an example coming from my own experience.

As i said before, Doom, Mortal Kombat, Blood, no game gives me the creep or chills i was seeking...

...Until i played the leaked beta of Thrill Kill.

Thrill Kill, is a 4-on-4 arena style survival of the fittest fighting game.

Similarities with most violent fighting games of the time is futile, as this one was a 3D fighting game on PSX that, in some sense, made everything kinda different.
Characters were...really disturbing.

Examples:
a lunatic in asylum jacket that attacks with it feets and head.

a cannibal that attack with the half eated leg from one victim.

a dominatrix that likes to sexualy assault their foes with high voltage electric sexual toys.

a midget on stilts that impales their enemies with them.

a contortionist who cracks and sounds grossly as she moves.

a sadomasochist who use a chain to torment his victims.

Those characters fight on a brutal little arena, four at the same time.

you doesn't have a health meter, you instead have a thill meter.

When this meter is full, your character or one of the enemies, is able to one hit kill one of the other three on the arena, with a really interesting, but generic killing move.

During this instance, there is no fight, just running from the thrilled one.

And if you are the thrilled one, your joystick start to vibrate like a hearth beat, as one is heard during all the scene.

The feeling of having the pulsating heart of an enemy in your hands was seriously disgusting.
The meter depletes with time, and if you didn't catch an enemy in that time, fight resume until every one is killed.

The last kill of the arena, is an special kill where the thrilled character commits one of the especial fatalities far gorier and correspondent with the character.

Example:

the cannibal jumps at the enemy and start eating it.

the dominatrix impales their enemy with the electric toy in the mouth and electrocutes it from the inside.

the sadomasochist summon chains to bind the oponent and start to pull them until it is dismembered.

All that may not be really awfull, but add to that some arenas that look like the nightmare areas of Silent Hill, with music that is just really low and strange noises, and you have something that could be really perceived as disturbing.

Probably what i depicted didn't make you rise an eyebrown, but add to the mix that every character, in some way, shows pleasure on their doings.

Like the dominatrix being really explicit on her moanings and so.

Or the sadomasochist start slaping himself after killing someone.

Well, i played Thrill Kill when i was....12 years old? And i played Doom since i had 4, same with Mortal Kombat.

But that wasn't scary, nope. It was seriously disturbing for me.
What was disturbing was the underlined message of people really enjoying being murderous lunatics.

Mortal Kombat violence is silly compared to this.
Doom violence is pretty much Army of the Dead silly, as is there just to show how over the top the player could be.

But not all of us are use to that kind of over the top violence, so its normal that people may got disturbed by it.

Doom 3 is, in someway more in line with the disturbing. As we are shown how Betrugger enjoys seeing all the people dying.

Sum up the dark and horror feel of the whole game, and yes, you have a disturbing experience.

What is disturbing, most of the times, is finding something that you can't properly understand but you feel its wrong and at the same time perceive other enjoying it.

Some people, literally, throw up on the scene where the player character is tortured on Outlast.
That is a really extreme gore scene, that is forced into the player character, so it kinda feels like being done to you.

While other people just felt disturbed and nauseous by thinking on the whole context of the endboss of Earthbound.

Beside what was explained, and i hope it to be useful to understand the point of view of the OP, i have to say that yes, nuDoom is far more silly than it already was.

If Doom was heavy metal album cover, nuDoom is more in line with the covers of the Brutal Death Metal or over the top bands that are out there that have to be gorier and badder to depict somewhat of manlines it seems.

But when we grow up, our fears change, too.

So what was disturbing back then, probably is not, right now.

I enjoy playing Thrill Kill now, as i can separate the game from the strange characters it depicts.

I didn't liked horror movies during my childhood or teenage years, but I enjoy watching some horror movies now. They are usually boring, but when done right, they are good, like Hereditary, or The Babadook, or Jacob's Ladder or The Wicker Man.

But when you compare those movies with, Dear Mr. Gacy, well, those are totally silly, and this one seriously disturbing.

As a final note, the designers of the nuDoom were really aware of what side of the coin they wanted the game to be in.

The gore over the top, or the disturbing nightmareish?

To make things easier to digest, they create the lore of the Doomslayer, practically and godlike killing machine figure.

Add some metal sounding music in the back, and the mix is complete.

Doom was never meant to be a disturbing game, but yes, it has disturbing moments.

1 hour ago, Murdoch said:

While I do not disagree that Doom Eternal is a bright and colourful game and arguably a bit silly... becoming family friendly? Sorry but no. Just all the no. A game where you play a guy laying waste to legions of spawn from the depths of Hell itself, sometimes literally tearing them to shreds is never, ever going to be considered even slightly family friendly by anyone, and if I am wrong on that count I would be deeply concerned about that family.

I doubt they would have used the term “family friendly”, but when I was 4 and my brother was 10 we were allowed to play Doom and Wolf3D, no problem.. I was only about 6-7 when my dad showed my how to download wads on Yahoo!, lol - but even in the context of the late 90s I don’t think my parents thought it was that bad, just cartoon violence really.. I know I wasn’t alone because once in a while I’d talk to other kids about games and Doom would occasionally come up. I can’t help but wonder how they would have felt if the graphics were more detailed back then..

Kids of the 90s with cool parents were probably lucky that all games, even “serious” ones, looked almost uniformly goofy and cartoony during that era. I remember my dad laughing at the shotgunners sliding down the stairs in E1M1! Not sure if Doom Eternal and the highly detailed ripping off of limbs would have flown too well, though..

I guess what I’m getting at is, despite not being “outrageously violent”, the new Doom games would have probably made the censorship boards of the day flip their lids twice as hard, so I think that’s another mark against the idea that Doom is becoming cutesy.

EDIT: Reading some of the creepy stuff from Thrill Kill in P41’s post, I’m glad Doom was the “scariest” game I had as a kid, god damn. While it wasn’t that shocking, I was pretty creeped out by the hanging corpses that start showing up in the later half of Doom and the sweet little dead bunny ending.. so anything beyond that would definitely have terrified me heavily 😂 

Edited by Doomkid

9 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I doubt they would have used the term “family friendly”, but when I was 4 and my brother was 10 we were allowed to play Doom and Wolf3D, no problem.. I was only about 6-7 when my dad showed my how to download wads on Yahoo!, lol - but even in the context of the late 90s I don’t think my parents thought it was that bad, just cartoon violence really.. I know I wasn’t alone because once in a while I’d talk to other kids about games and Doom would occasionally come up. I can’t help but wonder how they would have felt if the graphics were more detailed back then..

Kids of the 90s with cool parents were probably lucky that all games, even “serious” ones, looked almost uniformly goofy and cartoony during that era. I remember my dad cracking up and the shotgunners sliding down the stairs in E1M1! Not sure if Doom Eternal and the highly detailed ripping off of limbs would have flown too well, though..

I guess what I’m getting at is, despite not being “outrageously violent”, the new Doom games would have probably made the censorship boards of the day flip their kids twice as hard, so I think that’s another mark against the idea that Doom is becoming cutesy.

Yes my parents were much the same. Same as we were watching horror movies that were M rated or worse when we were 10 or 12. But Doom Eternal would likely have given them a bit more pause lol.

I think the modern games lean into the tongue and cheek vibe that has always existed in the series (examples: Intermission screens, "monster condo," chainsaw lore in Doom 3). As someone who has only ever experienced Doom in retrospect, I've never really found it scary, besides maybe Doom 3 (and only a bit at that), but for the most part, classic Doom only ever gets moody. And I think the modern games hit that level of atmosphere, with levels like Nekravol and the Blood Swamps, which are convincingly pretty atmospheric. Also, to be honest, the gore is pretty ridiculous in Doom Eternal, it doesn't gross me out, but its pretty detailed, and I even remember there being controversy about 2016 when one of the early trailer showed a lot of the glory kills. Not only that but Doom Eternal is gorier than ever, with the ability to knock flesh off of your enemies, which, in any other game would be horrifically gruesome, but in Doom its dumb fun. To put it simply, its kind of like Evil Dead 2.

On 7/14/2021 at 6:00 PM, TheEvilGrin said:

The fisr 2 games didn't contain 'cute' colors like pink

RQIs3YU.png

---

In regards to the actual post, in addition to what everyone else is saying, I imagine the overall tone and atmosphere of the Doom Slayer games are likely a conscious effort to avoid retreading the same paths taken as Doom 3 or even the canceled Doom 4.0 project. Those interpretations lacked the color and the personality that Classic Doom is known for, which were criticized in both instances for those reasons. Both had their identities and faithfulness to the franchise questioned, which even led to the latter being rebooted completely while the former now only finds itself as just a reference or few in the newer games. While Doom 2016 was a cross between Doom 3 and Classic Doom in terms of tone and visuals (likely due to its Doom 4.0 roots), Doom Eternal further pushes into the "return-to-form" the newer games have been reaching for. The enemies look like their Classic counterparts, the pick-ups look like their Classic counterparts, and even the color palette has been brightened and diversified to fit Classic Doom's colorful design. Any perceived "cuteness" in the newer Doom games is likely intended as part of its faithfulness to the Classic titles. Why else would they add a pupil to the Cacodemon when its 2016 counterpart fared well without it?

That being said, I think a serious or darker approach to Doom is valid. It's already happened with PSX Doom, Doom 64, and Doom 3 (and arguably some elements of Doom 2016). I personally like the 2016 Cacodemon without the pupil much more even if the Eternal Cacodemon's pupil is faithful to its Classic counterpart. Something doesn't necessarily need to be "cute" because it was cute a long time ago. For example, Batman is a pretty goofy comic book character in his original version by modern standards, but that didn't stop the grittier Dark Knight from being one of the more popular adaptations of the protagonist. It really just comes down to the execution, and I think the Doom franchise is flexible enough to go between "cute and colorful" and "dark and gritty" since the Classic games themselves draw a bit from both. Locations in Doom Eternal like Nekravol, Urdak, The Blood Swamps, etc. or enemies such as Dread Knights, Blood Maykrs, and Marauders demonstrate that id Software is capable of angling Doom into a more serious visual approach if they wanted to. I personally would be really interested in a newer Doom game (or spin-off) that combines the color palette of the newer games with the tone and atmosphere of Doom 3, if that even is feasible.

A thread about how Doom became more cartoony and even cute and no mention of Mighty Doom?

Mighty-Doom-Mobile-Android-iOS-release-d

1 hour ago, Tetzlaff said:

A thread about how Doom became more cartoony and even cute and no mention of Mighty Doom?

... goddammit 

11 hours ago, P41R47 said:

A lot of stuff

On top of all the stuff you said, which I think makes a lot of sense, I'd also like to add that what's disturbing for one person can be kid-friendly for someone else. You mentioned Earthbound's Final Boss. Oddly enough when I played Earthbound long ago, I chalked that game up as "disturbing". It's weird because for some reason, the whole game from around the start to the end made me on edge. In spite of all the wackiness going on in that game, something about the whole thing felt darker than it actually was. This is just me though since no one else seems to talk about any part of that game outside of the final boss being anything close to being dark.

Also I feel the original post of this thread was worded in a weird way. It gave off the impression that OP thinks Classic Doom was getting more family friendly with time but it seems like what he wanted to say was that Doom games after Doom 3 was getting less dark and more cute. At least that's what I got from his later replies. So I think you put it perfectly when you said, "But what this guy is implying, is that he doesn't felt disturbed by the new games, while the old ones, disturbed him."

6 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

Mighty-Doom-Mobile-Android-iOS-release-d

Yeah, a largely unpromoted mobile spin-off by a completely different studio is totally indicative of the direction the main series is going in.

On top of all the stuff you said, which I think makes a lot of sense, I'd also like to add that what's disturbing for one person can be kid-friendly for someone else. You mentioned Earthbound's Final Boss. Oddly enough when I played Earthbound long ago, I chalked that game up as "disturbing". It's weird because for some reason, the whole game from around the start to the end made me on edge. In spite of all the wackiness going on in that game, something about the whole thing felt darker than it actually was. This is just me though since no one else seems to talk about any part of that game outside of the final boss being anything close to being dark.

oh, but i stated that for other may not even feel awful.

Maybe i just didn't worded clearly. :P

Anyway, aside from that, Earthbound example of the final boss, as you say, is a great ramp up from the whole game. Theories aside, the game is one of the few that has a really underlying dark and weird vibe into it, Fourside may be one of the peaks of the weirdness; the city story is really dark and i'm not even talking about the other side.

The whole serie is kinda happy and carefree on the surface but outragerous dark on the inside. Mixed along whackiness and funny moments make for a great satire, indeed.

Also I feel the original post of this thread was worded in a weird way. It gave off the impression that OP thinks Classic Doom was getting more family friendly with time but it seems like what he wanted to say was that Doom games after Doom 3 was getting less dark and more cute. At least that's what I got from his later replies. So I think you put it perfectly when you said, "But what this guy is implying, is that he doesn't felt disturbed by the new games, while the old ones, disturbed him."

Well, maybe its because i'm not a native speaker, but for me it was clear that the OP was talking about the new games. Especially when he said doom 3 is way darker and scarier, hence, disturbing, than the new ones.

6 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

Why would people comment on something that doesn't exist?

Mighty DOOM is a myth created by big Bethesda. Don't believe the lies.

I think "Quaint" might be a better word than "Cute" to describe what the OP means.

In a sense the graphic violence of Doom is dated, although, going back to even the mid 90s, which I am old enough to remember, I always felt a lot of game controversies at the time were hugely trumped up. Night Trap was kind of tasteless, so I got that more, and then there's Phantasmagoria which actually was genuinely pretty hardcore and about on par with violent slasher movies of the time. Doom, Mortal Kombat and the like didn't compare to that then and don't now.

Of course something that applies to all the Doom games is they are pretty much just about killing monsters, so it's always been comic book violence at most. For that reason, I don't think the newer games really are worse. Not compared to the recent Mortal Kombat games anyway.  

On 7/15/2021 at 2:41 PM, Jello said:

Those baby blues get me every time. I almost feel bad when I kill an Arachnatron. Well, usually I let them live so they can cause infighting, but I still feel kind of bad when I put two double aught buckshot shells in them once they've served their purpose.

Arachnopug does not approve.

iDTLo6x.png

in my perceptive, i see doom's gore trying to be more fun then shocking... like the gibing animations turning enemy's into paste with a cool sound, but the games try to shock you a little too, like with the real gore walls and daisy's head on a stick! it depends really... but with what i can see in the newer games they defiantly are trying to go with more fun, cartoony, colorful, and over the top gore then shocking and realistic gore.

18 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

A thread about how Doom became more cartoony and even cute and no mention of

Is this where the post ends for anyone else? Seems odd, but my eyes just aren't picking anything else up when I look at it..

I see the cute as more of a side note if it's even intended. I just see it as you having fun shooting big things and seeing big blood. Cacodemons were always cute, though.

18 hours ago, chemo said:

Yeah, a largely unpromoted mobile spin-off by a completely different studio is totally indicative of the direction the main series is going in.

Yet it's an official Doom game by Bethesda. And a good example how Doom can look if you pump up the cartoony cutesy factor introduced in Doom 2016 by 300%.

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Is this where the post ends for anyone else? Seems odd, but my eyes just aren't picking anything else up when I look at it..

Don't close our eyes to MIGHTY DOOM, for it could be the future of the series (I hope not).