Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_Trve_Raith

Favorite Metal subgenres?

Honestly, there's metal songs I love in literally every subgenre. As long as there's some kind of melodic aspect to the music - or at least a beat that is either catchy or interesting - I'm probably gonna like it at least a bit and if the tone happens to resonate with me, it'll get folded into the mix of music I return to!

I can't think of any consistent "rules" for the stuff that I end up really enjoying..

Black metal

Sympho black

Melodic death

Sympho death

Blackened death

Blackened speed metal

Gothic metal

Symphonic metal

Vampiric metal

Opera metal

Dark metal

And for rock:

Gothic punk

Hardcore punk

Blackened post punk

Punk rock

Pop rock

Ballad and rock ballad

Edited by Kokrovan

Black metal, death metal, grindcore, prog metal, thrash and speed metal, doom metal, etc....and numerous subgenres therein. Few random examples:

Edited by VisionThing

I used to listen to Slipknot the most during my high school metal phase. Nowdays though I love the classic metal bands like Venom and Motorhead. I also really like symphonic metal too. Within Temptation is my favourite band for that style:

Black, Death, and Doom, along with their various subgenres and fusion genres for my main listening.

Traditional, Thrash, Power, and Prog are pretty neat, too.

Favorite? Progressive.

I like almost all subgenres of metal, though.

I mainly listen to Classic, Speed, Power and Prog metal then Doom and Symphonic along with Heavy Metal / Hard Rock and certainly Gothic, Black and Death metal.

27 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Within Temptation is my favourite band for that style:

I lucked out one day when I went into a charity shop and found 3 Within Temptation albums on CD, just like new for $1.50 (Canadian) each.

Maybe death metal (lots of sub-sub-genres: grind, thrash, brutal, progressive, melodic, oldschool, doom, technical…)