Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steiner

One level DOOM wad I made. Need some feedback

This is my second DOOM wad I ever made. It isn't really long and not that hard.
But I still had fun making it. I noticed some flaws but I still want to hear the opinion of others, to make a better DOOM map next time.

-I tested the wad with ZDoom, GZDoom and Brutal Doom so I think most DOOM ports will work.
-The format is DOOM 2 and you should use DOOM 2 as Iwad.

-The mapset is Map 02 because I planned to make this a Episode but later scrapped the idea. (To select the level you have to open the console and type in IDCLEV 02)

-Like I said this map isn't that hard and it's most enjoyable on ultra violence. To compare the difficulty I would say like DOOM episode 3.

DOOMmap.zip

1031798862_Screenshot(268).png.bfff0b59e9f67197ecf2c03e7a052694.png

1314126838_Screenshot(269).png.e812349e01297ab71850ea839fe66095.png

844049927_Screenshot(270).png.bda22b06da255bc48bdf073f0f64f390.png

1857834673_Screenshot(271).png.7d7ef7e14d9a35e89e6108b0301e69e2.png

Hey Steiner, I'm currently playtesting your map and I have a question: How do I lower the pillar with the  yellow skull key. I can't seem to find a switch of any kind.

1 minute ago, Silent Wolf said:

Hey Steiner, I'm currently playtesting your map and I have a question: How do I lower the pillar with the  yellow skull key. I can't seem to find a switch of any kind.

You just have to go to the pillar and activate it with space or e.

3 minutes ago, Silent Wolf said:

I've tried. Nothing happens.

Hmmm strange, I never had this bug befor what port do you use?

13 minutes ago, Silent Wolf said:

GZDoom 4.6.0

Wait I'll install this version real fast, I only have the 4.5.0

#Edit
I just tried it and it functioned perfectly have you ever had similar problems?
btw. I have maximum number of posts per day. Didn't know this is a thing

Edited by Steiner : maximum posts

Hey Steiner, I played it and I found it very enjoyable, a few nice traps and good that it was not 100% linear

I played on skulltag and had no problems, except that I couldn't find the last secret :x

Anyway, I recorded a blind run, will finish uploading to YT soon :)

I've just finished to try it.
I'd say that it has a nice consistent and quite linear gameplay, I've never felt lost, I've never really had to backtrack with the rooms that kept changing, to me these are really important traits.
The traps are quite well positioned, even if maybe a bit too basic and overused (I mean the same monster closet trap over and over), except for the mancubus one: I think it's too dickish leaving the player alone with 3 mancubus in a small room with basically no cover and not enough fire power (I got there with no secret).
Overall is enjoyable.

Now for the "harsh" part:
the map it's really cramped, there's no space to move most of the time, I felt relieved when finally reached the courtyard on the outside. Especially the parts with libraries, the little maze (I found a stuck imp, you have to be careful with diagonal paths cause monsters and players have a square hitbox that won't rotate) and the storage room.
There's a lot of room for architecture improvement too (example the first door seems to go up in the sky cause of the slim ceiling of the base) and rooms are really boxy, most of them are just square with the same textures. There's a bit lack of details, especially for the walls.
Talking about texture, I think they're a bit of a mess, there's no real consistency there. You bring the player from a rocky outside into a wood base that has bloody, tech, hellish with no transition.
I found several misalignment too.

Last things: lighting. Light felt like it was always at the same level along all the map, becoming a bit visually boring.

So, I'd say with some aesthetic improvement, textures, details, light, architecture, shape and widening up, it can become a really great map

Really good map, plenty of variety in visuals (via the structures/architecture as well as textures) and enemy types, and it flows very well, as you said it's not particularly hard but not everything has to be a ballbuster, that trick with the teleporting cacos near the end still was neat. I just have one nitpick to make - you can see the archie's hand clipping through the box.

Screenshot_Doom_20210716_142436_01.png.09c3f102ef74069ef7006ff71fe97537.png

I noclipped my way through that bug. No idea what was causing it. Tested with GZDoom 4.6.0, played on UV.

Gameplay

I can't help but feel the combat is a bit grindy in some areas, especially the yellow key area with the baron. I do really like your use of traps, specifically the shotgunner and arch-vile traps. The traps in general are done well. Some areas, like the arch-vile crate area, need more ammo, specifically cells, since at that point you won't have  the SSG.

Layout

Some areas feel way too narrow, and this does hurt the map a bit. Restricting movement should be done in a way so that it doesn't hurt encounters. You need to be aware of the effect of narrow spaces on player movement is what I'm saying.

Detailing and texturing

I do like the mainly minimalist nature of the map, though I also do think some areas could benefit from some more detailing. This is more my own perspective. I'd check your texturing, since I did see some misalignments.

Bugs

A misaligned texture: https://imgur.com/a/QmnvgqG

An enemy that appears to be stuck: https://imgur.com/a/JMR0FAw

A door that you may have forgotten to set to lower unpegged ( I don't know if that was intentional or not):https://imgur.com/a/ZrfwJbZ 

Conclusion

Not a bad map by any means, and a really promising second map.

Welcome to Doomworld, by the way. It's always nice to see new blood, mappers and players alike!

I really enjoyed this map there was quite a lot of mean surprises in here and I can't believe I survived it. Good one 

Thanks all of you guys for the feedback. I'm making a new map at the time and I'm using the tips you gave me.

DOOMmap

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || SpecialDefault

Deaths → 0

Saves → none

A map with a really remarkable difficulty, because from the beginning it is made clear that this Wad will not have a smooth start, and in truth it did not, the entire map being plagued with Hitscanners, the most annoying being the Shotgunner and the Chaingunner, but let's talk about the visual aspect. Each area of the map is really interesting, mainly because it has several very varied areas that prevent the map from falling into a monotonous environment, which is quite good if you ask me, for example, from the area with the toxic soil to The area where you only see boxes of different sizes in a narrow place makes a lot of difference in each place, and I ended up liking that a lot, so in the visual aspect we are really good. Now we go to the combat part, and here the map also stands out, since there are several varied enemies everywhere that make the Marine become alert at all times, which is great, although the small problem is that there is a Notorious shortage of ammunition only in the initial and intermediate part, because by the end (that is, after the door with a blue key) things are already more stable, but that would only be my complaint, nothing more. In conclusion I liked the Wad a lot, and I really enjoyed it a lot, despite the great dangers that are seen in each area, I can say that I have enjoyed it a lot, and I will be waiting for new maps that you can make, colleague.

Its okay, my biggest gripe is that you give the Super shot gun way too late. That dark room with the boxes where you put 2 hell knights is also kinda ugh. Have there 2 Spectres instead. Speaking of spectres, give us either rockets or berserk cause killing them with the nomal shotgun is quite tedious. But the final room was very enjoyable. You have some talent there buddy.