Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RestlessRodent

Why I left this community.

43 minutes ago, Lüt said:

Therefore, I've enabled the ability for all users with more than 4 posts (our default spam cutoff) to set their own titles, so if you don't like your current one you can go ahead and change it.

I am reminded once more by your ability to display a great sense of empathy and kindness. 

Not that i ever doubted that, mind you. Thank you Lut.

1 hour ago, Lüt said:

Therefore, I've enabled the ability for all users with more than 4 posts (our default spam cutoff) to set their own titles, so if you don't like your current one you can go ahead and change it.

The power... oh god the power!!!!

I mean uh very nice gesture man. No seriously very cool.

1 hour ago, roadworx said:

WAIT hold on

what does this mean for @Gez now that custom titles have become changeable?

It means the question posed in his current title ('what do I have to do to get a custom title around here?') has finally been answered---you just have to post a heartfelt thread which ultimately gets an administrator to change the abilities of users across the board.

5 hours ago, AkiraZXE said:

Like I said, sophisticated stories for why they feel justified. If the story was true, and everyone was being honest, then the details of specific incidents wouldn't be forbidden. Not-harassment doesn't need to be hidden under euphemisms and enforced silence. It'll probably be this way for another 5-10 years, until there's some new story, and we can all have this conversation again, except about how witch-hunting and hazing were wrong and it's gotten so much better.

If you have a ban you want to appeal, then start a new thread and/or contract the admins or something and appeal it. There's no need for all this indirect tiptoeing around whatever issue it is you have (which is kinda ironic considering your talk about euphemisms). Just come out and say what is is you're hinting at wanting to say but not actually saying!

Yeah, that's interesting. I always felt like a title should be something that should be earned, given, or bestowed upon you. Not something that you give yourself. All nicknames in life aren't the ones that you give yourself, they're the ones that others give you, and you either embrace it, or you hate it.

I can see this backfiring, but what does my opinion matter? I'm just a forum staple. Pretty sure I'll keep that.

I'm sure Doomkid will keep his though. 'Cause he earned it.

4 minutes ago, Jello said:

Yeah, that's interesting. I always felt like a title should be something that should be earned, given, or bestowed upon you. Not something that you give yourself. All nicknames in life aren't the ones that you give yourself, they're the ones that others give you, and you either embrace it, or you hate it.

I was thinking the same thing. I really like the idea of a title being earned. Even titles such as "Senior Member" denotes a long term input into the community, and is worthy of acknowledgement. But at the same time I like the idea of being able to style yourself and your 'image' on forums.

Probably a simple (and, I think, elegant,) solution would be to have both a self-defined nickname and also a forum rank: the latter denoting some achievement or contribution to the community, which is bestowed by others, and would have to be earned in some way.

26 minutes ago, Doom64hunter said:

My 2 cents: Everyone being able to set their own custom title kind of kills the novelty of custom titles.

good

26 minutes ago, Jello said:

I can see this backfiring, but what does my opinion matter? I'm just a forum staple. Pretty sure I'll keep that.

I'm sure Doomkid will keep his though.

counterpoint: people should be able to control what they're referred to as, or in this case, control what their custom title is. it's their nickname/custom title; it's part of their identity, and they should be able to control their identity. it shouldn't be up to everyone around them to decide a key part of who they are, it should be up to them.

8 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

What makes you think that, fam?

It's the internet, I see people trolling it all over town. Up and down main street, all over town. It's not that it matters that much, since it is the internet, but I can't even begin to imagine how many people will come up with ridiculous things to use as their title. 

I guess it doesn't matter. Allowing people to use their own custom avatars didn't ruin Doomworld instead of having to upload a picture that fit within the sites size limits was nice. We'll see. 

= Basic Titles =
0 - 9 : Newbie
10 - 29 : Warming Up
30 - 49 : Green Marine
50 - 99 : Mini-Member
100 - 249 : Junior Member
250 - 666 : Member
667 - 999 : Forum Regular
1000 - 2499 : Senior Member
2500 - 3999 : Forum Staple
4000 - 5499 : Forum Legend
5500 - 6999 : Forum Spammer
7000 - 19999 : Why don't I have a custom title by now?!
20000 - ??? : Seriously?! What do I have to do to get a custom title around here?

= For particular post counts =
* 0 : Registered Lurker
* 1 : Registered just to make one post
* 50 : Pistol Start

* 69 : Nice Member
* 206 : Bony Member

* 420 : Dank Marine
* 666 : Evil Member
* 911 : Forgotten Member
* 1210 : Doomed Member
* 5150 : Par for the course
* 5700 : Par-t Deux

RIP🙏

10 minutes ago, dmslr said:

RIP🙏

no, not RIP🙏, a lot of people are gonna keep their ranks. besides, the admins could easily go ahead and set up something like @bLOCKbOYgAMES suggested, if they still think post count is something worth valuing it's not

also, @PSXDoomer, are you actually piper maru? or are you just pulling a hee-hee ha-ha

if so, what happened to your old account?

I just think notable contributions are worthy of acknowledgement. So people like CodeImp or Skillsaw or Gez (and myriad others,) deserve being honored by the community for their contributions, and having that reflected in their public status. Not only post count, which is probably the lowest form of 'achievement' or somesuch.

2 minutes ago, roadworx said:

no, not RIP🙏, a lot of people are gonna keep their ranks. besides, the admins could easily go ahead and set up something like @bLOCKbOYgAMES suggested, if they still think post count is something worth valuing it's not

The best compromise would have been leaving ranks as is but also letting users to hide their own rank. Not everything must be customizable, e.g. post counts, date of register or something like this. You got your nickname, pfp, profile page background for self-expression.

5 minutes ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

I just think notable contributions are worthy of acknowledgement. So people like CodeImp or Skillsaw or Gez (and myriad others,) deserve being honored by the community for their contributions, and having that reflected in their public status. Not only post count, which is probably the lowest form of 'achievement' or somesuch.

Yep, exactly. Gez is a fcking legend. They deserve to be acknowledged by newcomers.

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

If you have a ban you want to appeal, then start a new thread and/or contract the admins or something and appeal it. There's no need for all this indirect tiptoeing around whatever issue it is you have (which is kinda ironic considering your talk about euphemisms). Just come out and say what is is you're hinting at wanting to say but not actually saying!

Did you not see the mod outright saying not to bring up any specific instances, or are you baiting me?

6 hours ago, Lüt said:

That's a very nice feature. I've been seen people having custom titles here and I also wanted one

10 minutes ago, dmslr said:

The best compromise would have been leaving ranks as is but also letting users to hide their own rank. Not everything must be customizable, e.g. post counts, date of register or something like this. You got your nickname, pfp, profile page background for self-expression.

well, why not? it's not a factual value like post count, nor is it a factual date of registration - it's some dumb text above the user's avatar. what's the harm in letting people do what they want with it?

if you're worried about status...you shouldn't be. someone like skillsaw, doomkid, or gez are recognizable by name alone; if someone's new, they'll learn who they are and what their role in the community is by participation and by reading threads. that's how i learned who they were, not by their custom title. it's not like many important members of the community have custom titles anyways - just look at @NiGHTMARE, @stewboy, @AlexMax, @ZeroMaster010, @CodeImp...the list goes on.

7 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Finally, my 'member rank' has some utility. Fellow enbies, I see you.

oshit i didn't even think of pronouns, that's super useful

goodbye imposter cheese jerry, hello real cheese jerry

3 hours ago, AkiraZXE said:

Did you not see the mod outright saying not to bring up any specific instances, or are you baiting me?

You've made two posts complaining about Doomworld, about how it's a place where you get punished when you "fight back during a hazing session" and about how "the stories that justify it may have gotten more sophisticated". I'm telling you to be clear about whatever it is you're attempting to derail this thread with, and flat-out said that if you really have a grievance worthwhile you should start a new thread addressing it. Surely that would be better than making multiple posts throwing shade at DW administration without actually saying anything of substance..

Don’t bother reading this, it’s a derail and I shouldn’t have pressed further.

Edited by Doomkid : Taking out the backseat and selling it on eBay

@Doomkid The mods have made it very clear that any specifics are not to be addressed, both now and during the instance in question. I think it's pretty clear you're not allowed to publicly mention specifics, period. So why are you giving me shit for not being specific?