Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phoo

Converting PNG sprites to Doom Sprites issue

Question

Hello!

I've been working on a Boom compatible wad, and I am adding a custom dehacked monster to my wad. I'm happy with the behavior of the monster, and I would like to use some custom sprites for the monster as well. 

This is where I am running into an issue, I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know what I'm doing wrong and offer suggestion(s). 

I had a created some custom sprites in paint.net using existing sprites from the Doom 2 IWAD (used Slade to export them as PNG).

When importing my custom PNG files into my PWAD and then converting them to Doom format, the sprite's colors are all wrong. I know that Doom has a particular color palette and I imagine the colors in sprites must conform to that palette. When creating my custom sprites, I only used colors found in the exported Doom sprites.

Here's an example:

Firstly, exporting this sprite

ExportingAsPNG.PNG.4591b0eb48027159820d29d5deb173f6.PNG

Next, I've imported that PNG sprite into a wad archive and have opened the graphic format conversion menu (no changes were made to the PNG sprite)

ConvertToDoom.PNG.58d44b885e9ae415bdde84f891392dca.PNG

Despite what is shown in the right preview window of this menu, this is the result of that conversion

ConvertToDoomResult.PNG.c71a7e211a2e3550513431790634c76e.PNG

I'd appreciate any input on this issue I'm having, thanks!

4 answers to this question

So it seems you need a palette. Normally you would get one if you set DOOM.WAD or DOOM2.WAD as your base wad somewhere in the settings.

44 minutes ago, phoo said:

I'm not sure where this is in the settings exactly but I'm sure it's there

Edit -> Preferences -> Editing -> Base Resource Archive

Setting this to Doom 2 will assume your wad uses the Doom palette, unless it includes a PLAYPAL lump. This way you don't need to have one in your wad unless you want to change something in it.

7 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

So it seems you need a palette. Normally you would get one if you set DOOM.WAD or DOOM2.WAD as your base wad somewhere in the settings.

Thank you!

I'm not sure where this is in the settings exactly but I'm sure it's there, I'll need to check that out more.

It does turn out that I need a palette in that wad, simply copying PLAYPAL from the Doom 2 IWAD does the trick.

7 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Edit -> Preferences -> Editing -> Base Resource Archive

Setting this to Doom 2 will assume your wad uses the Doom palette, unless it includes a PLAYPAL lump. This way you don't need to have one in your wad unless you want to change something in it.

Great, thanks!