• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

[UDMF] WMC03: Biophilia

On 7/17/2021 at 11:06 PM, Endless said:

[MUSIC]

MFG38 - Shadowed Hound

Well, shit. You're making me feel rather obligated to play this now!

Congrats on a truly resplendent looking mod. I was greatly looking forward to it and am happy to finally give it a try. Greatly admiring the environments with colourful lighting and lush vegetation. The few new monsters are an icing on the cake. I wonder if you'll ever in continuing those project mix the trend such best-looking themes like Biophilia and Rising but combined with classic gameplay of Thy Flesh Vored (the effect of which would inevitably be something like Eviternity). 

As for Biophilia, the gameplay straddles a bit awkwardly for me in being neither classic nor Supplice-like, hence I'd recommend enjoying it with those mods that make it more modern, dynamic, and simply work well:

- Enemy Damage Flash

- Final Doomer

- CatsVisor

Edit: Doom 4 Vanilla may also work. But playing Biophilia without extra mods is fun too. 

MAP03 "Triffidus Celestus" is my favourite.

Edited by game

4 hours ago, game said:

MAP03 "Triffidus Celestus" is my favourite. 

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy my map :D

Everyone did an amazing job on this one. This is definitely my favorite WMC so far.

thank you for featuring us on the cover! now i am almost ready to forgive Wadazine for not praising Vavoom enough (not mentioning it at all, actually).

congrats to all the team! not played it yet, but hey, i've yet to see bad WMC release, so i think i can safely say "it is a great mapset, and plays great" in advance. ;-)

I felt like recording some nice video from my favourite map but it didn't go too smoothly. Maybe because Fast Monsters difficulty proved challenging. But I couldn't spend most of the day recording so I uploaded the gameplay with some stumbles.

Great work on the maps, they're nicely detailed and the texture set feels original. I could live without the custom monsters, but at least you've not gone overboard with them. I played on UV in GZoom 4.6.1 and I noticed some problems in the wmc03-1.0.1 version:

MAP02: 100% kills is impossible because of the monsters in tubes in the exit room and also 4 imps in the westernmost closet.

MAP05: switch at linedef 11061 doesn't work. About 40 monsters didn't teleport from southern closets, see the screenshot.

Apart from that, MAP01 and 02 are very tight on ammo, but it suddenly becomes very plentiful starting with MAP03.

Screenshot_Doom_20211024_204601.png

Yah, this was basically all pretty good. As skilled as Death Bear may be, I honestly did not expect him to hit it out of the park like he did here as both of his contributions are absolute winners. @TheEvilGrin was somewhat hesitant to make something combat-focused, but I actually think the deserted base thing works out really well here, and the exit room fight was excellently-staged, other than the revs possibly not moving out of their tubes. The next.....Remilia's map was more coherent , but I really enjoyed the outdoors area more than anything else. DoomDude's map though....it does have some genuinely strong moments and I love his use of Arch-viles yet again. I honestly like it better than Triffidus because of the excellent midi choice (the spacy weirdness of 'Anchor' goes well with this wad's atmosphere) how he went wild with the outdoor areas (wadazine issues at a campsite isolated from everywhere else? yeah, this is awesome detailing) but it does come across somewhat like a Mark Klem map from MMII in its structure, which may not be to everyone's taste. The superfluous red key would probably only confirm it. That's ok, though. I still think it's probably my 3rd favorite, but it's hard to see many rushing to replay this.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:16 PM, Caleb13 said:

Great work on the maps, they're nicely detailed and the texture set feels original. I could live without the custom monsters, but at least you've not gone overboard with them. I played on UV in GZoom 4.6.1 and I noticed some problems in the wmc03-1.0.1 version:

MAP02: 100% kills is impossible because of the monsters in tubes in the exit room and also 4 imps in the westernmost closet.

MAP05: switch at linedef 11061 doesn't work. About 40 monsters didn't teleport from southern closets, see the screenshot.

Apart from that, MAP01 and 02 are very tight on ammo, but it suddenly becomes very plentiful starting with MAP03.

Screenshot_Doom_20211024_204601.png

Good call. Thanks! For Map 5, I originally did have some of these issues. I've updated the map since RC1.

On 10/25/2021 at 10:46 PM, LadyMistDragon said:

Yah, this was basically all pretty good. As skilled as Death Bear may be, I honestly did not expect him to hit it out of the park like he did here as both of his contributions are absolute winners. @TheEvilGrin was somewhat hesitant to make something combat-focused, but I actually think the deserted base thing works out really well here, and the exit room fight was excellently-staged, other than the revs possibly not moving out of their tubes. The next.....Remilia's map was more coherent , but I really enjoyed the outdoors area more than anything else. DoomDude's map though....it does have some genuinely strong moments and I love his use of Arch-viles yet again. I honestly like it better than Triffidus because of the excellent midi choice (the spacy weirdness of 'Anchor' goes well with this wad's atmosphere) how he went wild with the outdoor areas (wadazine issues at a campsite isolated from everywhere else? yeah, this is awesome detailing) but it does come across somewhat like a Mark Klem map from MMII in its structure, which may not be to everyone's taste. The superfluous red key would probably only confirm it. That's ok, though. I still think it's probably my 3rd favorite, but it's hard to see many rushing to replay this.

Hey LadyMistD, thanks for your intel.

I didn't realize how much Mark Klem I was channeling at the time. ;)

Working on my map for this burned me out bad. As it is, there was a large area I ripped out that went from the arch-vile room, through a tunnel under the cyberdemon area, into a big lift structure that lead to the exit. I wish I had foresight... I'd have split the map in two and suggest the 2nd half be worked on by other team members for a final wilderness arena, or something. After I was done I didn't touch doom for about a month and just got back into it with the latest wadazine project. Thankfully I may have learned not to go wild with outside areas so much. Haha.