Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MatrixCL

Why do you all have bobbing on?

From watching demo's I noticed that pretty much all players have bobbing turned on...except for me. I'm very happy that this is a setting nowadays, and that it's allowed to have it turned off when submitting speedruns. It doesn't give me motion sickness, but the gun often not being in the centre annoys the hell out of me. In fact, I remember from the old DOS era, that I usually stood still first before shooting, just so that the weapon would be centred. But I also just like how I slide smoothly over the floor (like those floating nuns in Death Becomes Her).

Is that something that doesn't bother you? Do you keep it on just for aestetic reasons, or because you never had it any different, or because it is such a bonus to be able to time when damaging floor would hit you?

I was a little surprised that bobbing is stored in the demo, until I read that weapon changing goes faster when the weapon is at it's lowest point. Would've been fun to see my runs back with bobbing turned on, because I'll admit, it does look more aestetic.

2 hours ago, MatrixCL said:

until I read that weapon changing goes faster when the weapon is at it's lowest point.

I didn't know this was a thing!

As for why I have bobbing on, because it's on by default and also because I'm used to it by now.

2 hours ago, MatrixCL said:

...or because it is such a bonus to be able to time when damaging floor would hit you?

Very slightly because of this; also because Doomguy is walking/running, and not piloting a Segway.

At least that's what the movement feels like to me without 'bob' on...

The bob makes Doomguy feel as if he is actually walking / running and not gliding. That's why I keep it on. :)

i used to disable it in the past when playing deathmatch and on duels but i saw that my aim started to get a lot worse because i was too dependedent on it so i dont disable it anymore (same reason why i dont use crosshairs) and i use the doom guy face in the hud to aim

also feedback running without bobbing makes me feel like i am flying trough the levels instead of walking and lastly the damage floors are in sync with the weapon bob thats something not many people know but you can really exploit this to avoid taking damage on short lava pits

I find no-bob really weird and unnatural to play with, but I use a crosshair anyway so I don't care where the weapon sprite is when I'm firing.

I leave it on because if I wanted to play Wolfenstein, I would play Wolfenstein and not Doom.

Bobbing is one of the few types of feedback Doom has when your character is moving (no footstep sounds or screen shaking) so it's visually nice to have it on. I also use a crosshair but isn't there an option now to center weapons while shooting?

IMO the bobbing in Doom is a bit excessive, but no bobbing at all is just jarring. Also, bobbing is forced on when using -complevel 2, so may as well get used to it.

because without it I feel less connected to the game. If feels like you're just a camera on one long tracking shot

44 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Bobbing is one of the few types of feedback Doom has when your character is moving (no footstep sounds or screen shaking)

The viewpoint does move up and down while you walk. It's kinda funny because the rate it goes up and down is faster than the weapon bob, but not twice as fast, meaning they are totally out of sync with each other. This would look really weird if someone did it in real life...

The amount that the view moves up and down doesn't seem to change based on your speed, so it's a lot more noticeable when walking vs running.

21 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

The amount that the view moves up and down doesn't seem to change based on your speed, so it's a lot more noticeable when walking vs running.

It's true! Barely noticeable when zooming around but hilarious by holding forward against an impassable, 2-sided line like a midtexture fence. Doomguy stands in place but the camera makes it look like he's trying to jump over with how much it bobs.

I can remember seeing Doom for the first time in 1994, seeing how the view bobbed and your gun swayed really brought home the magnitude of the advancements it made over Wolf 3D. The way it feels to move in a game is probably the single most important thing you need to get right, and Doom was among the first of the 3D games to really make you feel like you were embodied within the world -- not just, as previously mentioned, a camera with a gun attached to it. It seems kind of quaint to think about it like that now, and I can see wanting to turn it off for reasons of accuracy or because you're prone to motion sickness, but I don't think I ever got over how good it feels to move around in Doom, and the gentle bobbing and swaying were absolutely instrumental in that to me.

1 hour ago, magicsofa said:

I might be hallucinating, but in DOSBox, the actual view bobbing (not the weapon bobbing) does seem to be more intense when I hold down the "run" key.

I grew up with the bobbing on, so it feels the most natural to me. I know a bunch of other DM and multiplayer types have had it switched off for the last 15 years, basically ever since it became an option. To me it feels very awkward, what little "movement feedback" there once was being gone is very awkward.

I will say in most ZDoom-family ports, I feel like I have to reduce the movebob value to get it back in line with vanilla. The default value appears notably more exaggerated than the actual vanilla movement bobbing, oddly.

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I might be hallucinating, but in DOSBox, the actual view bobbing (not the weapon bobbing) does seem to be more intense when I hold down the "run" key.

I grew up with the bobbing on, so it feels the most natural to me. I know a bunch of other DM and multiplayer types have had it switched off for the last 15 years, basically ever since it became an option. To me it feels very awkward, what little "movement feedback" there once was being gone is very awkward.

I will say in most ZDoom-family ports, I feel like I have to reduce the movebob value to get it back in line with vanilla. The default value appears notably more exaggerated than the actual vanilla movement bobbing, oddly.

theres also the still bob in zandronum that was made to simulate breath or something like that i always disable it because it just looks weird

47 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

theres also the still bob in zandronum that was made to simulate breath or something like that i always disable it because it just looks weird

It's there on ZDoom too, maybe it's present in Zandronum because the earlier versions of GZDoom (on which Zandronum is based) were literally ZDoom with Hardware acceleration (IDK if it was the case, but it can be a posibility).

The only thing I don't like is the weapon being centered when firing, like, IDK, it looks weird to me

I play with bobbing on while just running around but I have bobbing turned off when the weapon is firing.

The more animation, the better. Weapon sway/bobbing just looks nice and as people have pointed out it simply adds to feedback from your actions and makes it effectively more immersive overall.

4 hours ago, Ragu said:

I can remember seeing Doom for the first time in 1994, seeing how the view bobbed and your gun swayed really brought home the magnitude of the advancements it made over Wolf 3D.

Funnily enough, Hovertank 3D (iD's first FPS, way before Wolfenstein 3D) does have bobbing. I saw a video review of it recently and it stood out to me because it felt so much better than Wolf3D.

8 hours ago, magicsofa said:

Both screen and weapon bobbing should change with speed, but they're pretty much already maximized when "walking". The system might've been tuned when the game was supposed to have slower characters.

I usually reduce the value a bit in ZDoom-derived ports to feel the difference between slow and fast movement.

12 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I think you are right... I was probably seeing the walk bob as more intense because you're moving so much slower in x-y direction, which makes the arc of any reference point more round. When you run, it flattens out (doppler effect yay!). However I just did a really smart experiment of continuous walking and running into a wall, and the difference there is pretty big.

17 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Wait, this is allowed? I actually don't know.

I assumed as such, because strict mode doesn't turn it back on. Or they didn't think of that option. But I don't really see how either way can give a (significant) advantage for speedruns. Perhaps on E1M1 Hangar we would prefer to be more strict, but I read now that complevel 2 already takes care of that anyway.

Anyway, so it's mostly for the immersive effect. Makes sense. And I think I would keep it on if the off-centre weapon wasn't messing with my head. And still, first time I played without bobbing my reaction was "Cool, this is so pure! :D"

And by the way, in GZDoom the weapon is centred when you shoot, also with bobbing on. (Not even sure if you can turn it off there.)

4 hours ago, MatrixCL said:

I assumed as such, because strict mode doesn't turn it back on. Or they didn't think of that option. But I don't really see how either way can give a (significant) advantage for speedruns. Perhaps on E1M1 Hangar we would prefer to be more strict, but I read now that complevel 2 already takes care of that anyway.

Sometimes the rules are just not very completed with these, and strict mode is not an absolute correct way to prevent you from cheating. That's not the way to value things, alongside with whether it provides you with advantages as well.

Right now I personally think the rules are way too lenient and many things shouldn't be allowed is allowed IMO, but I'm not the rule maker, so I can't say too much.

On 7/18/2021 at 2:06 AM, omalefico32x said:

i used to disable it in the past when playing deathmatch and on duels but i saw that my aim started to get a lot worse because i was too dependedent on it so i dont disable it anymore (same reason why i dont use crosshairs)

What? :D Your aim gets worse by having a crosshair? That's the biggest lie/misunderstanding in the history of First-Person Shooter gaming history.

What does "too dependedent(dependent?) even mean there? "Oh no, my weapon is too stable! I am unable to hit my opponent because the weapon bobbing is not confusing my aiming!" Sorry, but this sounds so wrong/bad that I am really curious what you meant now :D

Crosshair helps to aim for sure, and I am quite confident that when you do not have a crosshair, having weapon bobbing disabled improves your aim compared to the bobbing weapon.