Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zilch

Brutal DOOM is unstable with GZDoom 4.6.0

I run the latest version of Brutal DOOM (V21), as well as GZDoom (V4.6.0).

Brutal DOOM always crashes after 20-40 minutes of gameplay.  But normal Doom is very stable with no issues.

What happens is I play, and then it freezes on one frame, but somehow it still continues running (i.e. I can press ESC and navigate around, and hear the sounds fine, but the graphics is always stuck on that one frame.

I decided to roll back to LZDoom 3.85, as it is very, very stable.  The only two issues are that I can't find a way to get the widescreen graphics to work, and I prefer the display options in GZDoom 4.6.0.  Reason for the display options is because I have a 1440p monitor, but an 8th gen i5, so GPU performance is not the best.  So I run it in 1366x768 and upscale it, typically using pixel perfect upscaling (which GZDoom does, and LZDoom does not).

My version of GZDoom is 4.5.0 and Brutal DOOM runs without crashes, even Project Brutality runs without crashes. But the only problem is that it lags on my Laptop for some reason

My latest version of Brutal Doom's endgame level doesn't work properly, the Icon of sin doesn't appear' making it impossible to finish...

8 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

@Zilch are you playing using an integrated Intel GPU?

Yes.  Because I have a Dell 5290 laptop, there's nothing I can really do about that.

At some point I even had a 10th gen i7 NUC, but that gave me issues so I got a refund.

In any case, I still find it strange that LZDoom works without issue, and GZDoom doesn't work well on iGPU.

That said, for many years I was stuck with a 2nd gen i3 (this was before I heard of Brutal DOOM), and had to use LZDoom because the older iGPU did not support OpenGL.  I guess LZDoom is just designed to work super well with low spec computers (yes, I know that's why LZDoom actually exists ;).

Thanks for the links @Delfino Furioso, I'll try that gles GZDoom batch!

17 hours ago, Zilch said:

I decided to roll back to LZDoom 3.85, as it is very, very stable.  The only two issues are that I can't find a way to get the widescreen graphics to work,

That version is very old, even 3.87c is old now. I'll release a new version very soon. The old renderer used to work better on Intel GPUs, may be it still does. Their drivers are still as bad as always.

Sweet.  Can't wait @drfrag!

Let me know if you'd like me to beta test some stuff.  Would love to contribute to LZDoom in some way, as it has given me loads of fun and joy!

I follow your activity on GitHub here and there.  Will test out the 4.5.0 beta and report back via PM ;)