Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomguykiller69

Why did John Romero make an episode for Ultimate Doom (Sigil) and not a separate IWAD?

Just curious, I would have liked to have a "doom3sigil" like IWAD, and I think I saw someone in another forum trying to do that a SIGIL IWAD

e310eb75d8df03b774bf06f370789556.jpg

5 minutes ago, BerserkerNoir said:

I dont see the point of making it an Iwad.
There are not new sprites, textures or even sounds.

Bingo. An IWAD contains all of the game resources - textures, sprites, maps, sounds, music, and then some. It makes zero sense for him to make Sigil into an IWAD when the entire point of the project was to make a new episode for the original Doom.

4 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Bingo. An IWAD contains all of the game resources - textures, sprites, maps, sounds, music, and then some. It makes zero sense for him to make Sigil into an IWAD when the entire point of the project was to make a new episode for the original Doom.

It would be cool a new IWAD "canon" for Doom, maybe I'm crazy haha

I'll also take part of this topic and talk:

Mostly new IWAD's (the exception would be for me TNT and Plutonia) feels like they remove any kinda of Doom texture, monsters, or weapons, and works only with their base content. Something like that would be a negative, as John Romero was selling merchandise of SIGIL, and an alternative Music (With the pwad for free), so i feel is also to no have any legal trouble.

40 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

Si6il is an IWAD, for LZDoom

He made the wad for the anniversary of the game

Uhh... what?

48 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

Si6il is an IWAD, for LZDoom

He made the wad for the anniversary of the game

are you okay

5 minutes ago, roadworx said:

are you okay

No I fear he is communicating with us through a tear in the fabric of reality leading to an alternate dimension where PWADs are IWADs and LZDoom is popular enough to encourage it to be the sole port for a release by one of the game's original authors.

24 minutes ago, inkoalawetrust said:

Uh what are you talking about here ?

21 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Uhh... what?

19 minutes ago, PSXDoomer said:

Wut in tarnation?!

13 minutes ago, roadworx said:

are you okay

He is possibly referring to this post by drfrag, who confirms supporting Sigil as a IWAD.

2 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

He is possibly referring to this post by drfrag, who confirms supporting Sigil as a IWAD.

Ah. Still, even if LZDoom is doing some hackery to load it as such it's still not an actual IWAD though... right? Or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, doomguykiller69 said:

Why did Rohn Jomero make an episode for Ultimate Doom (Sigil) and not a separate IWAD?

Send him a fax about it.

@Murdoch im curious so i'll download the last version of Sigil, and last version of LZDoom and pair with my copy of U:Doom, and.

image.png.9e998fa5e0e331bfc6edb2df27320876.png

But, if you delete doom.wad.

So, not hackery can work, it's mostly a shortcut.

image.png

I mean, why the hell not? Romero saw all the fun Doom mappers had been having for the past 20 years and decided to jump in on the fun, I guess. :^P

Because he doesn't own the game Doom, afaik it's ID Software's IP. To release the extra episode as an IWAD he'd have to create all new textures and sprites for it. Plus, there are source port compatibility factors

56 minutes ago, D4NUK1 said:

@Murdoch im curious so i'll download the last version of Sigil, and last version of LZDoom and pair with my copy of U:Doom, and.

But, if you delete doom.wad.

So, not hackery can work, it's mostly a shortcut.

Right so exactly as I suspected, it's loading Doom.wad then Sigil as a PWAD.

Lol, three quotes from one comment, I didn't expect that, but, yeah, like it has been shown, Si6il is supported as an IWAD as long as you have DOOM.WAD on the same folder, though I think it works with freedoom too (maybe I should have clarified that).

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

Thanks for clarifying that 

Just in response to the title: He wanted to make a 5th Episode, not a new release of the game.

Most people doesn't notice it, but the new maps Romero made are a way to bitch out the other mappers from Ultimate Doom and completely make Ultimate Doom his own game.

''what the heck are you talking, P41R47?''

hahahaha, relax and let me expose.

First we have E1M4B, a great replacement to the original, kinda boring map made by Tom Hall and Romero himself. But somehow, Romero was disatisfied with his creation in collab, and made a new one. Then Romero win the Cacoward with E1M8B: Tech Gone Bad that replaces the original Phobos Anomaly by Sandy Petersen.

This way, Romero apropiate of all the slots from Episode 1.

Then he made Si6il.

Probably most of us played it as an unofficila fifth episode.

But remember guys, this mapset comes with a si6il_compt.wad that replaces E3 completely.

And so, Si6il, is Romero take on Inferno Episode of the original Doom.

And for certain, its a way cooler Inferno than the one we had on the official game.

So, probably, on the next years, we receive a complete episode replacement for Episode 2, and hopefully, Episode 4.

And so, finally, Ultimate Doom would have been made totally by John Romero.

:P

38 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

So, probably, on the next years, we receive a complete episode replacement for Episode 2, and hopefully, Episode 4.

He's actually busy with Sigil 2, a full 32 map megawad for Doom 2.

After that he's planning on mapping for Quake. 

So don't expect stuff for Doom 1 anytime soon. I for one am definitely not complainin'.

46 minutes ago, OniriA said:

He's actually busy with Sigil 2, a full 32 map megawad for Doom 2.

After that he's planning on mapping for Quake. 

So don't expect stuff for Doom 1 anytime soon. I for one am definitely not complainin'.

Looking forward to being his bitch in Daikatana all over again.

(Though seriously, the game wasn't that bad. Ahead of its time, I'd say - an idea that was made five years too early.)

3 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

the world is finally ready for daikatana.

the world will never be ready for daikatana. its too good. and you will never stop being john Romero's bitch